- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A comparative study of news media coverage on the presidential candidate's commitments: applying Content Analysis method
대통령후보 공약에 대한 언론보도 비교연구: 보수적 언론과 진보적 언론의 내용분석을 중심으로
- Hong, Yong-Rak (Division of Contents, Dong-Ah Institute of Media and Arts)
- 홍용락 (동아방송예술대학교 콘텐츠학부)
- Received : 2017.10.01
- Accepted : 2017.11.20
- Published : 2017.11.28
The news media report the pledges of presidential candidates, which have important implications for political communication. This study is to investigate the difference between news coverage on the presidential candidate' s pledge and to discuss its implications. The sampled news from the two newspapers were analyzed for content analysis. Frequency analysis and Chi-square analysis are utilized with SPSS. As results, there was no difference in the tone of the article's headlines, but the difference of the tone between the article content was statistically significant. The results means that the media framing affect on the reader's perception. Follow - up study can be suggested a comparative study of past election candidates 'pledge reports, a network analysis for the news language, and a comparative analysis of newspaper coverage and broadcast coverage.
- M. McCombs, D. Shaw, "The agenda-setting function of mass media", Public Opinion Quarterly, No. 36, pp. 176-187, 1972.
- S. Iyengar, Simon, "New coverage of the gulf crisis and public opinion". Communication Research, No. 20, pp. 365-383, 1993.
- G. Tuchman, "Making News: A study in the construction reality". New york; Free Press, 1978.
- Y. H. Jo, "Frame vs. Frame", Hanbitbiz publishing, pp. 19-59, 2017.
- S. H. Park, B. R. Kim, "Social construction of allegations: a frame analysis of TV Election Coverage for 2007 Presidential Candidates", Korean Journal of political communication, No.11, pp. 55-98, 2008.
- J. G. Lee, "An Examination of Policy Implications of and New Directions in Research on Educational Enthusiasm in Korea", Journal of Korean Education, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 121-153, 2013.
- In- Kyu Kim, "An Analysis on the Agenda of TV News Election Coverage: focusing on the News Frame during the 14.15.16th Presidential Elections", Ph. D. dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, 2007.
- E. Goffman, "Frame analysis: An essay on the organization of experience", Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1974.
- E. J. Kim, J. B. Bang, "Change of News Frames in News Agency's Reports on Elections : Focusing on Yonhap News Agency's Reports on the Presidential Elections", Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies", Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 90-125, 2010.
- T. Gitlin, "The whole world is watching." Berkeley: California University of California Press, 1980.
- R. M. Entman, "Framing: Toward clarification of fractured paradigm". Journal of Communication, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 51-68, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.1993.tb01304.x
- Iyenger, S.. Is anyone responsible? How television frames political issues. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. New York, pp. 211-277, 1991.
- W. Y. Kim, D. H. Lee, "A Study on the News Frame Model : A Frame Analysis of the Domestic Nuclear News", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 166-197, 2005.
- H. N. Kwon," Media election: theory and practice", Communication books, 2006.
- J. W. Rhee, "Impacts of News Frames in the Coverage of Conflicting Issues on Individual Interpretation and Opinion", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 46, No.1, pp. 441-482, 2001.
- Gyotae Ku, "A study of the candidates'online press release and news coverage in the 17th presidential election", Korean Journal of political communication, No.12, pp. 5-44, 2009.
- Y. M. Yoon, K. H. Kim, "Gendered Coverage in Television News -Comparison fo the News Coverage about Park Geun-hye and Lee Myung-bak's Bid for the Hannara Party's Presidential Nomination", Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 201-236, 2008.
- C. S. Yun, G. H. Kim, "An Analysis of Media Discourse on the Manipulation of State Affairs by Secret Heavyweight: Focusing on the structures of editorial frames of five daily newspapers", Korean journal of political communication, No 45, pp. 69-101, 2017.
- Yoon-Sun Yang, "Korean TV News Coverage of the 18th Presidential Election : A Comparative analysis of Main News Program of KBS, SBS and TV Chosun", Master thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2013.
- D. C. Shin, S. S. Kim, "Agenda-setting and Election Information in Presidential Elections: The 18th Presidential Election in South Korea", Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 52, 2016.
- R. D. Wimmer, J. R. Dominick, "Mass media research : an introduction", Bellmont, CA : Thomson, Wadsworth, pp. 212-216, 2006.
- H. S. Bae, "Media content analysis", Communication Books, 2007.
- H. C. Choi, "Statistical analysis in social sciences", Nanam publishing, pp. 116-134, 2016.
- S. J. Kim, M. S. Na," A Study on the Frame of Television News Reports on Chonbuk Bus Strike : Focusing on Prime Time Reports of Chonbuk Local Televisions", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12 No.5, pp. 377-394, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.377
- J. H. Kang," Data analysis with SPSS", Crown p[ublishing. pp. 205-221, 2012.
- T. S. Auh, "Digital media in the information society", Nanam publishing, 2016.
- S. K. Ryu, J. Y. Lee, "A Study on Media Coverage and Recognition Type of Users about Ubiquitous Environment", Korean Journal of Communication & Information, No. 32, pp. 169-207, 2006.
- S. H. Jeong, H. S. Cho, "A study on frame transition of personal information leakage: 1984-2014: social network analysis approach", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12 No.5, pp. 57-68, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.57
- H. S. Lee, "Frame Analysis of Political News in Social Media : Focus on the keyword, presidential election in Wikitree", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.15 No.2, pp. 309-318, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.309