- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Performing Leader's Role on Academic Achievement and Satisfaction in Small Group Collaborative Learning in Virtual Reality
가상현실을 활용한 소집단 협력학습에서 팀 구성원으로서의 역할 수행이 학업성취도와 만족도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Mi Hwa (Dept. of Educational Technology, Hanyang Cyber University)
- 김미화 (한양사이버대학교 교육공학과)
- Received : 2017.10.01
- Accepted : 2017.11.20
- Published : 2017.11.28
To conduct research using small group learning with advanced technology in school, small group collaborative learning was conducted in virtual reality called Second Life for high school history class to verify the effects of the role of group members (leader, group member) in collaborative learning activities in this study. Two classes of the second grade of high school were selected randomly and 20 groups were also randomly assigned, and each group was consisted of three members (1 leader and two group members). Academic achievement and satisfaction with academic activities were used to verify the effect of the role as measurement tools, and collected quantitative data were tested by independent sample t. As a result, it was found that performing the role of leader in collaborative learning activities in virtual reality was effective in promoting enhancing students' academic achievement and increasing satisfaction level. Lastly, utilization and improvement of small group collaborative learning using virtual reality in the field of education were discussed.
Supported by : 한양사이버대학교
- National Research Council. "Education for life and work: Developing transferable knowledge and skills in the 21st century", National Academies Press, 2013.
- K. Kim & H. Kim, "A Study on customized software education method using flipped learning in the digital age", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 55-64, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.55
- D. Cho. "Reinforcing the educational capacities of teacher education university", The Journal of Educational Administration, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 399-419, 2005.
- H. J. Griffin, R. Greenlaw, P. Limousin, K. Bhatia, N. P. Quinn, & M. Jahanshahi, M. "The effect of real and virtual visual cues on walking in Parkinson's disease", Journal of Neurology, Vol. 258, No. 6, pp.991-1000, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-010-5866-z
- Department of Education, "Elementary school teacher's guide", National Academies Press, 2015.
- K. Lim, "A case study on a learning with social network services on smartphones: Communication contents and characteristics analyses of the applications", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 91-114, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2010.22.2.91
- Y. H. Cho, S. Y. Hong, & J. E. Lee, "An Exploratory study on learner-to-learner interaction in a 3d virtual role-play for pre-service teachers", The Journal of Educational Information and Media, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 27-50, 2014.
- Y. H. Cho, Y. K. Kim, & M. H. Hwang, "A case study on 3d virtual role play for improving problem solving skills of elementary school pre-service teachers", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 45-75, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.30.1.45
- S. M. Yun, & H. B. Kim, "Development and application of the scientific inquiry tasks for small group argumentation", Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 694-708, 2011.
- H.D. Brown, "Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy", Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice Hall Regents, 1994.
- R. E. Slavin, "Cooperative learning: Where behavioral and humanistic approaches to classroom motivation meet", Elementary School Journal , Vol. 88 No. 1, pp. 29-37, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1086/461521
- S. S. Kim, " The Effects of scientific experimental classes emphasized small group argument activities on science achievement and scientific attitudes", Korean Earth Science Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 51-104, 2012.
- J. Yun, S. Kang, & T. Noh, "The effects of small group learning using smart devices in science classes", Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 519-524, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.4.0519
- H. J. Kim, & J, H. Leem, " Development of collaborative problem solving model based on smart classroom in elementary school", Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 67-72, 2013.
- J.Y. Choi, "The relationship between academic achievement and learning attitude according to leader selection method in small group cooperative learning: Focusing on experimental learning in science class of 5th grad", Master Thesis, Korea University, 2007.
- Y. Y. Choi, "The effect of presence or absence of leader on science inquiry ability and attitude", Master Thesis, Gyeogin National University of Education, 2017.
- E. Thomchick, "The use of collaborative learning in logistic classes", Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 18, No.2, pp.191-205, 1997.
- N. Rummel, & H. Spada, H. "Learning to collaborate: An instructional approach to promoting collaborative problem solving in computer-mediated settings", Journal of the Learning Sciences, Vol. 14, No.2, pp.201-224, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327809jls1402_2
- S. Jarvela, P. Naykki, P., J. Laru., & T. Luokkanen, "Structuring and regulating collaborative learning in higher education with wireless networks and mobile tools", Educational Technology & Society, Vol. 10, No.4, pp. 71-79, 2007.
- M. Reilly, & H. Shen, "Shared note-taking: A smartphone-based approach to increased student engagement in lectures", The 11th International Workshop on Collaborative Editing Systems in conjunction with ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2011.
- Y.T. Lin, C. H. Chang, H. T. Hou, & K. C. Wu, "Exploring the effects of employing Google Docs in collaborative concept mapping on achievement, concept representation, and attitudes", Interactive Learning Environments, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1-20, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2015.1005423
- E. Walsh, & I. Cho, "Using evernote as an electronic lab notebook in a translational science laboratory", Journal of Laboratory Automation, Vol. 20, No. 10, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- B. Dalgarno, & J. W. Lee, M, "What are the learning affordances of 3-d virtual environments?", British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 10-32, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.01038.x
- I. Duncan, A. Miller, & S. Jiang, "A taxonomy of virtual worlds usage in education", British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 949-964, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2011.01263.x
- A. Alrayes, & A. Sutcliffe, "Students' attitudes in a virtual environment (SecondLife)", Journal of Virtual Worlds Research, Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 71-79, 2011.
- V. Chang, C. Gutl, S. Kopeinik, & R. Williams, "Evaluation of Collaborative Learning Settings in 3D Virtual Worlds", International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET), Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 12-19, 2009.
- H. Huang, U. Rauch, & S. Liaw, S, "Investigating learners' attitudes toward virtual reality learning environments: Based on a constructivist approach", Computers & Education, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1171-1182, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2010.05.014
- M. Wrzesien, & M. A. Raya, "Learning in serious virtual worlds: Evaluation of learning effectiveness and appeal to students in the e-junior project", Computers and Education, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 178-187, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2010.01.003
- R. Driver, P. Newton, P. & J. Osborne, J, "Establishing the norms of scientific argumentation in classroom", Science Education, Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 287-312, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(200005)84:3<287::AID-SCE1>3.0.CO;2-A
- H. Cho, "Relationship between college students' English learning beliefs and their English achievement in e-learning", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 53-61, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.53
- B. Jun, "A Study on the Effect of Affecting Factors of SNS on Learner's Attitude and Performance: Focused on University Class", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 27-36, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.27
- J. Kim, "A Study on Characteristics of Emerging Leadership Researches and the Team Effectiveness of Shared Leadership", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 207-217, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.207
- H. Wang & J. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of Paternalistic Leadership on Organizational Commitment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 145-154, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.145
- C. Kim, "Study of Theme Park Attractions using Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Technologies", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp. 443-452, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.443
- J. Han, "The Effects of Shared Leadership on Team Performance and Team Commitment of Team-Based Learning in Nursing Students : Mediating Effects of Team Trust", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 303-311, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.303