- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A simplified evaluation method of skeleton curve for RC frame with URM infill
- Jin, Kiwoong (Department of Architectural and Building Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Choi, Ho (Institution of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo)
- Received : 2016.03.02
- Accepted : 2017.11.15
- Published : 2017.09.25
In this paper, a simplified evaluation method of the skeleton curve for reinforced concrete (RC) frame with unreinforced masonry (URM) infill is proposed in a practical form, based on the previous studies. The backbone curve for RC boundary frame was modeled by a tri-linear envelope with cracking and yielding points. On the other hand, that of URM infill was modeled by representative characteristic points of cracking, maximum, and residual strength; also, the interaction effect between RC boundary frame and the infill was taken into account. The overall force-displacement envelopes by the sum of RC boundary frame and URM infill, where the backbone curves of the infill from other studies were also considered, were then compared with the previous experimental results. The simplified estimation results from this study were found to almost approximate the overall experimental results with conservative evaluations, and they showed much better agreement than the cases employing the infill envelopes from other studies.
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-11) and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- AIJ (2010), AIJ Standard for Structural Calculation of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Architectural Institute of Japan, Tokyo.
- Al-Chaar, G. (2002), "Evaluating strength and stiffness of unreinforced masonry infill structures (No. ERDC/CERL-TR-02-1)", Engineer Research and Development Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- ASCE/SEI 41-06 (2006), Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, American Society of Civil Engineers, New York.
- Bertoldi, S.H., Decanini, L.D. and Gavarini, C. (1993), "Telai tamponati soggetti ad azioni sismiche un modello semplificato: Confronto sperimentale e numerico (Infilled frames subjected to seismic actions a simplified model: Experimental and numerical comparison)", Atti del 6 Convegno Nazionale ANIDIS (Proceedings of the 6th national conference on seismic engineering ANIDIS), 815-824, Perugia.
- Calio, I. and Panto, B. (2014), "A macro-element modelling approach of Infilled Frame Structures", Comput. Struct., 143, 91-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2014.07.008
- Chrysostomou, C.Z. and Asteris, P.S. (2012), "On the in-plane properties and capacities of infilled frames", Eng. Struct., 41, 385-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.057
- FEMA 306 (1998), Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings, Applied Technology Council (ATC-43 Project), Washington D.C.
- FEMA 356 (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, Washington D.C.
- Fiorato, A.E., Sozen, M.A. and Gamble, W.L. (1970), "An investigation of the interaction of reinforced concrete frames with masonry filler walls", Rep. UILU-ENG 70-100, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
- Fiore, A., Netti, A. and Monaco, P. (2012), "The influence of masonry infill on the seismic behavior of RC frame buildings", Eng. Struct, 44, 133-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.05.023
- Hendry, A.W. (1990), Structural Masonry, Macmillan, London, England.
- Hetenyi, M. (1946), Beams on Elastic Foundation, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.
- Holmes, M. (1961), "Steel frames with brickwork and concrete infilling", Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs, 19(4), 473-478.
- Jin, K., Choi, H. and Nakano, Y. (2016), "Experimental study on lateral strength evaluation of unreinforced masonry-infilled RC frame", Earthq. Spectra, 32(3), 1725-1747. https://doi.org/10.1193/100714EQS152M
- KMCT (2002), A Study on the Seismic Evaluation and Retrofitting Methods for Low-Rise RC Buildings in Korea, Korean Ministry of Construction and Transportation, Seoul.
- Maidiawati, O.T. and Sanada, Y. (2012), "Static loading test of R/C frames with brick masonry infill with/without plaster (Part II: Test results and seismic performance evaluation)", Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting, Architectural Institute of Japan, C-2 Structures IV, 1055-1056.
- Mainstone, R.J. (1974), "On the stiffness and strength of infilled frames", Proc. Supplement, Trans. of Inst. of Civil Eng. State Univ. of New York.
- Mehrabi, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P. and Noland J.L. (1996), "Experimental evaluation of masonry-infilled RC frames", J. Struct. Eng., 122(3), 228-237. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:3(228)
- Oo, T., Maidiawati and Sanada Y. (2012), "Static loading test of R/C frames with brick masonry infill with/without plaster (Part I: Test specimens and experimental methods)", Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting, Architectural Institute of Japan, C-2 Structures IV, 1053-1054.
- Ozturkoglu, O., Ucar, T. and Yesilce, Y. (2017), "Effect of masonry infill walls with openings on nonlinear response of reinforced concrete frames", Earthq. Struct., 12(3), 333-347. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2017.12.3.333
- Panagiotakos, T.B. and Fardis, M.N. (1996), "Seismic response of infilled RC frames structures", Proceedings of 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Acapulco.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley & Sons, INC.
- Shing, P.B. and Stavridis, A. (2014), "Analysis of seismic response of masonry-infilled RC frames through collapse", ACI Struct. J., Special Publication, 297, 1-20.
- Stafford Smith, B. and Carter, C. (1969), "A method of analysis for infill frames", Proc., Instn. of Civ. Engrs., 44, 31-48.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, B. (2012), "Simplified modeling of masonry-infilled RC frames subjected to seismic loads", Proceedings of 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Sep.
- Stylianidis, K.C. (2012), "Experimental investigation of masonry infilled R/C frames", Open Construct. Build. Tech. J., 6, 194-212. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874836801206010194
- Sugano, S. (1970), "Experimental study on hysteretic characteristics of reinforced concrete members", Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo.
- Trapani, F.D., Macaluso, G., Cavaleri, L. and Papia, M. (2015), "Masonry infills and RC frames interaction: Literature overview and state of the art of macromodeling approach", Eur. J. Environ. Civil Eng., 19(9), 1059-1095. https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2014.996671