- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
RTS test study and numerical simulation of mechanical properties of HDR bearings
- Peng, Tianbo (State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Wu, Yicheng (State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2017.11.13
- Published : 2017.09.25
High Damping Rubber bearings (HDR bearings) have been used in the seismic design of bridge structures widely in China. In earthquakes, structural natural periods will be extended, seismic energy will be dissipated by this kind of bearing. Previously, cyclic loading method was used mainly for test studies on mechanical properties of HDR bearings, which cannot simulate real seismic responses. In this paper, Real-Time Substructure (RTS) test study on mechanical properties of HDR bearings was conducted and it was found that the loading rate effect was not negligible. Then the influence of peak acceleration of ground motion was studied. At last test results were compared with a numerical simulation in the OpenSees software framework with the Kikuchi model. It is found that the Kikuchi model can simulate real mechanical properties of HDR bearings in earthquakes accurately.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Ministry of Science and Technology of China
- Abe, M., Yoshida, J. and Fujino, Y. (2004), "Multiaxial behaviours of laminated rubber bearings and their modeling. II: modelling", J. Struct. Eng., 130(8), 1133-1144. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:8(1133)
- Aiken, I.D., Kelly, J.M., Clark, P.W., Tamura, K., Kikuchi, M. and Itoh, T. (1992), "Experimental studies of the mechanical characteristics of three types of seismic isolation bearings", Proceedings of The 10th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 4, Madrid, 2281-2286.
- Amin, A.F.M.S., Alam, M.S. and Okui, Y. (2002), "An improved hyperelasticity relation in modeling viscoelasticity response of natural and high damping rubbers in compression: experiments, parameter identification and numerical verification", Mech. Mater., 34(2), 75-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6636(01)00102-8
- Amin, A.F.M.S., Wiraguna, S.I., Bhuiyan, A.R. and Okui, Y. (2006), "Hyperelasticity model for FE analysis of natural and high damping rubbers in compression and shear", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 132(1), 54-64. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:1(54)
- Amin, A.F.M.S., Lion, A., Sekita, S. and Okui, Y. (2006), "Nonlinear dependence of viscosity in modeling the rate-dependent response of natural and high damping rubbers in compression and shear: Experimental identification and numerical verification", Int. J. Plasticity, 22(9), 1610-1657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2005.09.005
- Asai, T., Chang, C.M. and Phillips, B.M. (2013), "Real-time hybrid simulation of a smart outrigger damping system for high-rise buildings", Eng. Struct., 57, 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.016
- Bhuiyan, A.R., Okui, Y., Mitamura, H. and Imai, T. (2009), "A rheology model of high damping rubber bearings for seismic analysis: Identification of nonlinear viscosity", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 46(7-8), 1778-1792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.01.005
- Burtscher, S.L. and Dorfmann, A. (2004), "Compression and shear tests of anisotropic high damping rubber bearings", Eng. Struct., 26(13), 1979-1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.07.014
- Cheng, C.T. (2008), "Shaking table tests of a self-centering designed bridge substructure", Eng. Struct., 30(12), 3426-3433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.05.017
- Dall'Asta, A. and Ragni, L. (2006), "Experimental tests and analytical model of high damping rubber dissipating devices", Eng. Struct., 28(13), 1874-1884. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.025
- Dall'Asta, A. and Ragni, L. (2008), "Nonlinear behavior of dynamic systems with high damping rubber devices", Eng. Struct., 30(12), 3610-3618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.06.003
- Dall'Asta, A. and Ragni, L. (2008), "Dynamic systems with high damping rubber: nonlinear behaviour and linear approximation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(13), 1511-1526. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.825
- Grant, D.N., Fenves, G.L. and Whittaker, A.S. (2004), "Bidirectional modeling of high-damping rubber bearings", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(1), 161-185.
- Karavasilis, T.L., Ricles, James M., Sause, R. and Chen, C. (2011), "Experimental evaluation of the seismic performance of steel MRFs with compressed elastomer dampers using large-scale real-time hybrid simulation", Eng. Struct., 33(6), 1859-1869. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.01.032
- Kelly, J.M. (1991), Dynamic and Failure Characteristics of Bridgestone Isolation Bearings, Research Report No. UCB/EERC-91/04; Earthquake Engineering Research Center, The University of California at Berkeley, USA.
- Kikuchi, M. and Aiken, I.D. (1997), "An analytical hysteresis model for elastomeric seismic isolation bearings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(2), 215-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<215::AID-EQE640>3.0.CO;2-9
- Leon, R.T. and Deierlein, G.G. (1996), "Consideration for the use of Quasi-Static test", Earthq. Spec., 12(1), 87-109. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585869
- Ministry of Communications People's Republic of China (2008), Guidelines for seismic design of highway bridges, JTG/TB 02-01-2008, People's Communications Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Nakashima, M., Kato, H. and Takaoka, E. (1992), "Development of real-time pseudo dynamic testing", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 21(1), 79-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210106
- Tubaldi, E., Ragni, L., Dall'Asta, A., Ahmadi, H. and Muhr, A. (2017), "Stress softening behaviour of HDNR bearings: modelling and influence on the seismic response of isolated structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 46(12), 2033-2054.
- Tsai, M.H., Wu, S.Y. and Chang, K.C. (2007), "Shaking table tests of a scaled bridge model with rolling-type seismic isolation bearings", Eng. Struct., 29(5), 694-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.05.025
- Wu, B., Wang, Z. and Bursi, O.S. (2013), "Actuator dynamics compensation based on upper bound delay for real-time hybrid simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(12), 1749-1765. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2296
- Yoshida, J., Abe, M. and Fujino, Y. (2004), "Constitutive modeling for high-damping rubber materials", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 130(2), 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:2(129)