- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A simple approach for the fundamental period of MDOF structures
- Zhao, Yan-Gang (Department of Architecture, Kanagawa University) ;
- Zhang, Haizhong (Department of Architecture, Kanagawa University) ;
- Saito, Takasuke (Department of Architecture, Kanagawa University)
- Received : 2017.02.11
- Accepted : 2017.09.22
- Published : 2017.09.25
Fundamental period is one of the most critical parameters affecting the seismic design of buildings. In this paper, a very simple approach is presented for estimating the fundamental period of multiple-degree-of-freedom (MDOF) structures. The basic idea behind this approach is to replace the complicated MDOF system with an equivalent single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) system. To realize this equivalence, a procedure for replacing a two-degree-of-freedom (2-DOF) system with an SDOF system, known as a two-to-single (TTS) procedure, is developed first; then, using the TTS procedure successively, an MDOF system is replaced with an equivalent SDOF system. The proposed approach is expressed in terms of mass, stiffness, and number of stories, without mode shape or any other parameters; thus, it is a very simple method. The accuracy of the proposed method is investigated by estimating the fundamental periods of many MDOF models; it is found that the results obtained by the proposed method agree very well with those obtained by eigenvalue analysis.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- ASCE (2005), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, U.S.A.
- Asteris, P.G., Repapis, C., Cavaleri, L., Sarhosis, V. and Athanasopoulou, A. (2015a), "On the fundamental period of infilled RC frame buildings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 54(6), 1175-1200. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.6.1175
- Asteris, P.G., Repapis, C.C., Tsaris, A.K., Di Trapani, F. and Cavaleri, L. (2015b), "Parameters affecting the fundamental period of infilled RC frame structures", Earthq. Struct., 9(5), 999-1028. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.5.999
- Asteris, P.G., Repapis, C.C., Repapi, E.V. and Cavaleri, L. (2016a), "Fundamental period of infilled reinforced concrete frame structures", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 13(7), 929-941.
- Asteris, P.G., Tsaris, A.K., Cavaleri, L., Repapis, C.C., Papalou, A., Di Trapani, F. and Karypidis, D.F. (2016b), "Prediction of the fundamental period of infilled RC frame structures using artificial neural networks", Comput. Intell. Neurosci., 5104907.
- Asteris, P.G., Repapis, C.C., Foskolos, F., Fotos, A. and Tsaris, A.K. (2017), "Fundamental period of infilled RC frame structures with vertical irregularity", Struct. Eng. Mech., 61(5), 663-674. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.61.5.663
- Balkaya, C. and Kalkan, E. (2003), "Estimation of fundamental periods of shear-wall dominant building structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(7), 985-998. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.258
- Crowley, H. and Pinho, R. (2004), "Period-height relationship for existing European reinforced concrete buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(Spec01), 93-119.
- European Committee for Standardization CEN (2004), Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance-Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, European Standard EN 1998-1:2004.
- Editorial Committee of Structure-Related Technical Standard Commentary Book of the Building (EC) (2007), Structure-Related Technical Standard Commentary Book of the Building, Tokyo, Japan.
- Goel, R.K. and Chopra, A.K. (1997), "Period formulas for moment-resisting frame buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 123(11), 1454-1461. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:11(1454)
- Goel, R.K. and Chopra, A.K. (1998), "Period formulas for concrete shear wall buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 124(4), 426-433. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:4(426)
- Hatzigeorgiou, G.D. and Kanapitsas, G. (2013), "Evaluation of fundamental period of low-rise and mid-rise reinforced concrete buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(11), 1599-1616. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2289
- Hsiao, J.K. (2009), "Computation of fundamental periods for moment frames using a hand-calculated approach", Electr. J. Struct. Eng., 9, 16-28.
- Kwon, O.S. and Kim, E.S. (2010), "Evaluation of building period formulas for seismic design", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(14), 1569-1583. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.998
- Leng, B., Yan, X. and Lin, K. (2013), "Analysis on natural frequency calculation formula of vibration system", Shanxi Architecture, 39(21), 20-22.
- Kose, M.M. (2009), "Parameters affecting the fundamental period of RC buildings with infill walls", Eng. Struct., 31(1), 93-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.07.017
- Shafei, A. and Alirezaei, M. (2014), "Evaluation of the fundamental period of vibration of irregular steel structures", J. Eng. Sci. Res. Technol., 3(4), 6083-6090.
- Shibata, A. (2010), Dynamic Analysis of Earthquake Resistant Structures, Tohoku University, Sendaishi, Miyagi, Japan.
- Tatsuya, A., Namihiko, I., Masanori, I., Toshihidel, K., Shin, K., Hiroto, N., Takehiko, T. and Koichi, M. (2015), Study on Dynamic Soil-Building Structure Interaction Based on Strong Motion Observation, National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, 866.
- International Conference of Building Officials (1997), 1997 Uniform Building Code, Wilier, California, U.S.A.
- Young, K. and Adeli, H. (2014), "Fundamental period of irregular moment-resisting steel frame structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 23(15), 1141-1157. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1112