- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Anthropometric Characteristics, Bone Density, Food Intake Frequency, Nutrient Intakes, and Diet Quality of Pre- and Postmenopausal Women - Based on 2008~2011 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey -
폐경 전후 여성의 신체계측, 골밀도, 식품섭취빈도, 영양소섭취 및 식사의 질 평가 - 국민건강영양조사 2008~2011에 기초하여 -
- Choi, Soon Nam (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Sahmyook University) ;
- Jho, Kwang Hyun (Dept. of Business Administration, Sahmyook University) ;
- Chung, Nam Yong (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Kyung-in Women's University)
- Received : 2017.05.22
- Accepted : 2017.10.10
- Published : 2017.10.31
This study was conducted to investigate the anthropometric data, bone density, serum profiles, nutrient intakes and diet quality of premenopausal and postmenopausal women. For the study, we obtained data for analysis from the combined 2008~2011 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). The height and weight were 157.8 cm and 58.7 kg in premenopausal women and 155.5 cm and 58.3 kg in postmenopausal women, respectively. The obesity rate was 27.49% in premenopausal women and 34.98% in postmenopausal women (p<0.001). Total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, triglyceride, GOT, GPT and alkaline phosphatase in postmenopausal women were significantly higher than those in premenopausal women (p<0.001). The prevalence of osteoporosis was 0.0~0.89% in premenopausal women and 0.48~13.22% in postmenopausal women (p<0.001). In postmenopausal women, rates of hypertension, stroke, myocardial infarction, depression, and diabetes were significantly higher than those in premenopausal women. Water, fat. ash, sodium, retinol, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin intakes in premenopausal women were significantly higher than those in postmenopausal women. Water, fiber, Ca, and, K intakes were below KDRIs (Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans) in both groups. The mean adequacy ratio (MAR) of premenopausal women was higher than that of postmenopausal women (p<0.001). The index of nutritional quality (INQ) in premenopausal women was also higher than that of postmenopausal women except iron and vitamin C. Therefore dietary guidelines and an education program should be developed for desirable improvement of health, bone density, nutrient status and dietary quality of postmenopausal women.
Supported by : 삼육대학교
- Baik IK, Shin C (2010) Optimal waist circumference for the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Korean J Community Nutr 15(2): 275-283.
- Bonjour JP, Gueguen L, Palacios C, Shearer MJ, Weaver CM (2009) Minerals and vitamins in bone health: The potential value of dietary enhancement. Br J Nutr 101(11): 1581- 1596. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509311721
- Carr MC (2003) The emergence of the metabolic syndrome with menopause. J Clin End Met 88(6): 2404-2411. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-030242
- Chang HK, Cha BK (2003) Influencing factors of climacteric women’s depression. J Korean Acad Nurs 33(7): 972-980. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.972
- Choi EY (2013) The association between bone mineral density, bone turnover markers, and nutrient intake in pre- and postmenopausal women. Korean J Health Promot 13(2): 52-60.
- Choi SH, Hwang DK, Song HR, Noh HJ, Kang JY, Choi DH, Choi HJ (2009) The predictors of lumbar spinal bone mineral density in pre- and postmenopausal women. Korean Soc Meno 15(2): 101-109.
- Choi YH, Song TH (2013) Correlation of anthropometric data, nutrient intakes and serum lipids in premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Korean J Food Nutr 26(3): 476- 484. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.476
- Chun SW (2013) The relationship of hot plush to other menopausal symptoms and chronic disease related to menopause. J Korean Soc Menopause 19(2): 54-63. https://doi.org/10.6118/jksm.2013.19.2.54
- Dawson-Hoghes B, Heaney RP, Holick MF, Lips P, Mernier PJ, Wieth R (2005) Estimates of optimal vitamin D status. Osteoporosis Int 1(7): 713-716.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans, IIth Revision (2010) The Korean Nutrition Society.
- Han SH (2004) A study on the menopausal symptoms, menopausal management and quality of life in middle aged women. MS Thesis Ewha Womans University, Seoul. pp 24-30.
- Greenland KJ, Croft JB, Mensah GA (2004) Prevalence of heart disease and stroke risk factors in persons with prehypertension in the United States, 1999-2000. JAMA Int Med 164(19): 2113-2118. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.19.2113
- Haveman-Nies A, de Groot LPGM, Burema J, Cruz JAA, Osler M, van Staveren WA (2002) Dietary quality and lifestyle factors in relation to 10-year mortality in older Europeans: The SENECA study. Am J Epid 156(10): 962-968. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf144
- Haveman-Nies A, de Groot LPGM, van Staveren WA (2003) Dietary quality, lifestyle factors and healthy ageing in Europe: The SENECA study. Age and Ageing 32(4): 427-434. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.4.427
- Heo JM, Park YS, Park HM (2011) Dietary intake of nutrients and food in postmenopausal Korean women. Korean Soc Meno 17(1): 12-20.
- Heo JM (2010) Nutrient intake and osteoporosis: A casecontrol study in Korean postmenopausal women. MS Thesis Hanyang University, Seoul. pp 11-36.
- Hyun HD (2014) Risk factors for depression in peri and postmenopausal women. MS thesis Korea University, Seoul. pp 13-22.
- Kannel AB (1993) Metabolic risk factors for coronary heart disease in women: Perspective from the Framingham Study. Atherosclerosis 99: 207-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(93)90023-N
- Kim IK, Choi HM, Kim MH (2012) Menopausal knowledge and management in perimenopausal women. Korean Soc Meno 18(2): 124-131. https://doi.org/10.6118/jksm.2012.18.2.124
- Kim MH (2014) The relationship between food supplement intake and dietary habits according to the menopausal stage of middle-aged women. MS Thesis Changwon National University, Changwon. pp 40-60.
- Kim MJ (2006) The effects of regular exercise on bone mineral density and health related fitness of middle-aged women. Korean J Spor Sci 15(2): 365-374.
- Kim NS, Song HJ (2004) Women’s chronic diseases and policy implications in Korea. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 93: 39-46.
- Kim SK, Sunwoo JG (2007) The analysis of the dietary factors related to climacteric symptoms in middle-aged women. Korean J Community Nutr 12(1): 25-39.
- Kim YJ (2013) Comparisons of obesity rate, nutrient intakes and dietary factor among Korean postmenopausal women living in urban and rural areas: From the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data of 2010. MS Thesis Chosun University, Gwangju. pp 20-66.
- Kim YR (2008) Nutrition intakes, blood clinic indication by nutrition knowledge among female adults in Seoul. MS Thesis Seoul Women's University, Seoul. pp 1-35.
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity(2012) Obesity 2012. Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. Seoul, Korea. pp 17-22.
- Lee HS, Kim MH, Lee DH, Sung CJ (2006) The relationship between some blood parameters and antioxidant enzyme activity in Korean postmenopausal women. J Nur Health 39(5): 476-484.
- Lee HJ, Lee KH (2013) Evaluation of diet quality according to self-rated health status of Korean middle-aged women - based on 2008-2009 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey -. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(9): 1396-1404.
- Lee JE (2005) The relationship between nutrient intakes status and risk parameters of cardiovascular function in pre-postmenopause middle-aged women. MS Thesis Soonchunhyang University, Asan. pp 4-45.
- Lee UJ (2005) The relationship of bone density and eating habits/nutritional intake in adult females. MS Thesis Keimyung University, Daegu. pp 5-60.
- Lee OH, Kim JK, Lee HSI, Choue RW (2012) Nutritional status, quality of diet and quality of life in postmenopausal women with mild climacteric symptoms based on food group intake patterns. Korean J Community Nutr 17(1): 69-80. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.1.69
- Lee TW (2013) The effects of combined exercise on metabolic syndrome risk factors of obesity and hypertension patient in middle-aged women. MS thesis Kangwon National University. Chuncheon. pp 1-24.
- Lee YS, Park BH (2000) The relationship between the stress and climacteric symptoms of middle-aged women. Korean J Women Health Nurs 6(3): 383-397.
- Lim HJ (2005) A study on the food habit and seasonal difference of nutrient intake of adult working women. Korean J Community Nutr 10(4): 501-512.
- Lips P, Hosking D, Lippuner K, Norquist JM, Wehren L, Maalouf G, Ragi-Eis S, Chandler J (2006) The prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy amongst women with osteoporosis: An international epidemiological investigation. J Int Med 260(3): 245-254. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2006.01685.x
- Nieves JW (2005) Osteoporosis: The role of micronutrients. Am J Clin Nutr 81(5): 1232S-1239S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/81.5.1232
- Park JY (2010) Association between bone mineral density, bone marker and nutrients intake in pre- and postmenopausal women. MS Thesis Kyung Hee University, Seoul. pp 19- 30.
- Park JY, Choi MY, Lee SH, Choi YH, Park YK (2011) The association between bone mineral density, bone turnover markers, and nutrient intake in pre- and postmenopausal women. Korean J Nutr 44(1): 29-40. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2011.44.1.29
- Park KS, Lee KA(2002) A case study on the effect of Ca intake on depression and anxiety. Korean J Nutr 35(1): 45-52.
- Park MY (2013) Comparison of factors affecting bone mineral density and bone metabolism in pre- and post-menopausal women. MS Thesis Gyeongsang National University, Jinju. pp 5-12.
- Park YS, Cho IS (2001). A survey of urban middle-aged women’s transition. Korean J Women Health Nurs 7(4): 486-498.
- Pyun JS, Kim MJ, Lee KH (2011) Climacteric and menopausal women’s beliefs on daily meals and food supplements - a focus group interview study -. Korean J Community Nutr 16(2): 239-252. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.2.239
- Sadler MJ, Strain JJ, Caballero B (1999) Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition. Academic Press, California. p.73.
- Sang JH, Hwang IC, Han HS, Lee WS, Kim TH, Lee HH, Chung SH, Shin KS (2012) Prevalence of osteoporosis and osteopenia in women in Gumi Gyeongbuk province. Korean Soc Meno 18(1): 28-35. https://doi.org/10.6118/jksm.2012.18.1.28
- Shin KR, Shin C, Park SY, Yi HR (2004) Prevalence and determining factors related to depression among adult women in Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs 34(8): 1388-1394. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.8.1388
- Song MS, Byeon YS, Lim KS, Oak JW (2007) A study on health behavior in people at risk for a cerebrovascular accident. J Korean Acad Nurs 37(7): 1091-1097. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.7.1091
- Song SJ, Kim MS (2002) Case study on insomniac, melancholiac, schizophrenic patients taking well-balanced nutrition & vitamin B group. J Korean Soc Jungshin Sci 6(1): 11-20.
- Seo JS, Leem JH, Yoon GS, Cho SH, Choi YS (2014) Nutritional Assessment. Powerbook. Goyang. p 153.
- Seo MS (2002) Woman’s health problem in ministry of gender equality & family. Korean J Heal Prom Dis Prev 2(2): 115- 118.
- Shim SY (2012) A study on behaviors, nutrient intakes and stress depression of married women in their 30-50's in Seoul. MS Thesis Dong-guk University, Seoul. pp 1-67.
- The Korean Nutrition Society (2015) Dietary reference intake for Koreans. The Korean Nutrition Society. Seoul. pp 1-74.
- Wang Y, Wang QJ (2004) The prevalence of prehypertension and hypertension among US adults according to the new JNC guidelines: New challenges of the old problem. Arch Int Med 164(19): 2126-2134. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.19.2126
- World Health Organization (1994) Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. World Health Organization Technical Report Series 843: 1-129.
- Yang JH (2002) A study on health behavior experience of middle-aged women in rural area. J Korean Acad Nurs 32 (5): 694-705. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.5.694