- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Control Effects of Bemisia tabaci on Eggplant using Sticky Trap
가지에서 끈끈이트랩을 이용한 담배가루이 방제효과
- Kim, Ju ;
- Choi, In-Young ;
- Lee, Jang-Ho ;
- Kim, Ju-Hee ;
- Lim, Joo-Rag ;
- Cheong, Seong-Soo ;
- Kim, Jin-Ho
- 김주 (전라북도농업기술원 기후변화대응과) ;
- 최인영 (전라북도농업기술원) ;
- 이장호 (전라북도농업기술원) ;
- 김주희 (전라북도농업기술원) ;
- 임주락 (전라북도농업기술원) ;
- 정성수 (전라북도농업기술원) ;
- 김진호 (전라북도농업기술원)
- Received : 2017.08.11
- Accepted : 2017.09.28
- Published : 2017.11.30
This experiment was conducted to develop control method for Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) on eggplant using sticky trap method. According to the color of the sticky traps, the attractiveness of the B. tabaci was the highest in the yellow trap, followed by the green and orange. However, white, blue, red, black and green sticky traps have reduced attractiveness of B. tabaci. In order to improve the efficiency and attractiveness of sticky trap to the B. tabaci, the different kinds of sugars such as glucose, fructose, oligosaccharide, starch syrup and pure sugar were added to sticky traps respectively. However, the effect of B. tabaci attractiveness was low in starch syrup, pure sugar, and non-treated sticky traps. The attracting effect of B. tabaci was depending on the location of sticky trap. The highest value was obtained where sticky traps were located in the top of the eggplant, followed by 30 cm above from the top level. In addition, we were installed up to 40 sticky traps to determine the optimal amount of sticky traps to control B. tabaci in eggplant. When increasing the sticky traps, the number of adult and nymphs of B. tabaci were tended to be decreased significantly. This tendency was more effective in the latter stages than in the early stages. As the number of sticky traps increased, not only the growth rate of eggplant, leaf length, and stem diameter were to be better. But also number of fruits and product marketable value were increased at the early stage of growing as well. The study had proven that the sticky traps had an effect on increasing the yield at the early stage of growth, but the efficiency of controlling decreased due to the high density of B. tabaci of the next generation.
Supported by : 전라북도농업기술원
- Alomar, O., J. Riudavets, and C. Castane. 2006. Macrolophus caliginosus in the biological control of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) on greenhouse melons. Biol. Control 36: 154-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2005.08.010
- Arno, J., R. Albajes, and R. Gabarra. 2006. Within-plant distribution and sampling of single and mixed infestations of Bemisia tabaci and Trialeurodes vaporariorum (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) in winter tomato crops. J. Econ. Entomol. 99: 331-340. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/99.2.331
- Byrne, D. N. 1999. Migration and dispersal by the sweet potato whitefly, Bemisia tabaci. Agri. Forest Meteorol. 97: 309-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(99)00074-X
- Hoelmer, K. A. and A. M. Simmons. 2008. Yellow sticky trap catches of parasitoids of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) in vegetable crops and their relationship to in-field populations. Environ. Entomol. 37:391-399. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/37.2.391
- KAMIS. 2014. www.kamis.co.kr.
- Kim, C. S., J. P. Lee, J. H. Song, E. K. Lim, S. J. Chung, S. Y. Ha, and B. J. Moon. 2001. Gray mold rot eggplant caused by Botrytis cinerea in greenhouse. Korean J. Life Sci. 11: 242-217.
- Kim, J., J. R. Lim, S. G. Lee, S. H. Park, S. S. Jung, D. C. Choi, and C. Y. Hwang. 2010. Attractive effect of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) by sticky trap. Korean Society Appl. Entomol, p. 213. Proceedings Annual Conference Korean Society of Applied Entomology. May. 13-15. Jinju. Korea.
- Kim, J. K., J. J. Park, C. H. Pak, H. S. Park, and K. J. Cho. 1999. Implementation of yellow stick trap for management of greenhouse whitefly in cherry tomato greenhouse. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 40: 549-553.
- Kim, K. H, Y. S. Lee, I. H. Lee, and K. S. Ahn. 2000. Susceptibility of exotic pest, Bemisia tabaci. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 4: 51-58.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. 2013. Statistics of cultivation and production of industrial crops in 2011. Sejong: Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Park, J. H., S. J. Hong, E. J. Han, and C. K. Shim. 2012. Effect of yellow sticky trap for controlling whitefly on tomato cultivated in greenhouse. Korean J. Organic Agri. 20: 643-654. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2012.20.4.643
- Perring, T. M., A. D. Cooper, R. J. Rodriguez, C. A. Farrar, and T. S. Bellow. 1993. Identification of a whitefly species by genetic and behavioral studies, Science 259: 74-77. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.8418497
- RDA. 2012. Income data on agricultural products according to local area. p. 41.
- Seo, M. J., S. J. Kim, E. J. Kang, M. K. Kang, Y. M. Yu, M. H. Nam, S. G. Jeong, and Y. N. Youn. 2006. Attraction of the garden thrips, Frankliniella intonsa (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), to colored sticky cards in a Nonsan strawberry greenhouse. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 45: 37-43.
- Song, J, H., S. H. Kang, and M. K. Lee. 2000. Diel flight activity of Liriomyza trifolii (Burgess) nd Heights of yellow sticky traps in gerbera. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 39: 153-156.
- Stansly, P. A., J. Calvo and A. Urbaneja. 2005. Release rates for control of Bemisi tabaci (Homoptera; Aleyrodidae) biotype "Q" with Eretmocerus mundus (Hymenoptera: Aphelinidae) in greenhouse tomato and pepper. Biol. Control. 35: 124-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2005.07.004
- Van de Veire, M. and V. Vacante. 1984. Greenhouse whitefly control through the combined use of the colour attraction system with the parasite wasp Encarsia formosa [Hym: Aphelinidae]. BioControl. 29: 303-310.
- Yokoyama Toyonori, Matsuura Makoto, and Aoki Shouhei. 2000. キュウリ栽培施設における害虫の生態學的硏究 : 第2報 半促成栽培及び抑制栽培において靑色および黃色の粘着テ一プに誘殺された害虫および他の昆虫. The Bulletin of the Experimental Farm, Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University. 11: 23-29.