- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Electrical Resistivity Characteristics of Concrete by Using Flat Electrode Method
평판접지 전극방법을 이용한 콘크리트의 전기비저항 특성 분석
- Park, Chang Seon (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Park, Hae Won (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Lee, Kang Hun (Highway&Transportation Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Jeong, Jin Hoon (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha Univ.)
- Received : 2017.03.24
- Accepted : 2017.06.02
- Published : 2017.06.15
PURPOSES : The pole electrode method damaged the concrete pavement on inserting the electrode into the pavement surface. This study examined the feasibility of the flat electrode method to observe the concrete pavement instead of the pole electrode method and analyzed the resistivity characteristics of the concrete by performing laboratory tests. METHODS : The resistivity of the concrete specimens manufactured with three different mixing ratios (38.50%, 39.50%, and 40.50%) were measured using the pole and flat electrode methods according to the concrete age (7 and 28 days) and electrode spacing (20 mm, 30 mm, and 40 mm). RESULTS :In both pole and flat electrode methods, the resistivity increased with increasing fine aggregate proportion regardless of the concrete age. The resistivity measured at a concrete age of 28 days was slightly larger than that measured at 7 days. In the case of a concrete age of 7 days, the resistivity measured by the flat electrode method was larger than that measured by the pole electrode method. The difference disappeared at 28 days. CONCLUSIONS :The results suggest that the flat electrode method can replace the pole electrode method because the resistivity measured by both methods was similar. Hence, the development of a technology to apply the flat electrode method to actual concrete pavement is necessary.
Grant : Development of Eco-Friendly Pavements to Minimize Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF), Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement(KAIA)
- ASTM C 192/C192M, (2015), "Standard Practice for Making and Curing Test Specimens in the Laboratory", American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
- Farooq, M., Park, S. G., Song, Y. S. and Kim, J. H., (2009)," Mortal Characterization using Electrical Resistivity Method", Jigu-Mulli-wa-Mulli-Tamsa, Vol. 12. No. 2, pp. 215-220.
- Gambetta, M., Armadillo, E., Carmisciano, C., Stefanelli, P., Cocchi, L., and Tontini, F. C., (2011), "Determining Geophysical Properties of a Near-surface Cave through Integrated Microgravity Vertical Gradient and Electrical Resistivity Tomography Measurements", Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, Vol. 73, No. 1, pp. 11-15. https://doi.org/10.4311/jcks2009ex0091
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, (2009), "Road Construction Standard Specification", Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- Lee, H. S., Oh, S. H., Chung, H. J., Noh, M. G., Ji, Y. S., Ahn, T. G., Song, S. H. and Yong, H. H., (2014), "Application of DC Resistivity Survey from Upper Portion of Concrete and Geostatistical Integrated Analysis", Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, Vol. 35, pp. 29-40. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2014.35.1.29
- Park, S. G., Kim, J. H., Cho, S. J., Yi, M. J. and Son, J. S., (2004), "Electrical Resistivity Characteristic of Soils", Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 2004, pp. 847-854.
- Park, S. G., Yi, M. J., Kim, C. R., Son, J. S., Kim, J. H., Cho, S. J., and Seo, G. W., (2006), "Detection of Limesilicate Cavities by 3-D Resistivity Survey", Korean Society of Earth and Exploration Geophysicists, Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 368-372.
- Park, S. Y., Sohn, D. S., Lee, J. H. and Jeong, J. H., 2012. A Study on Joint Position at Concrete Pavement with Box Culverts, Journal of the korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol. 14. No. 2, pp. 45-53.
- Polder, R., Andrade, C., Elsener, B., Vennesland, O., Gulikers, J., Weidert, R. and Raupach, M., (2000)," Test methods for on site measurement of resistivity of concrete", Materials and Structures, Vol. 33, pp. 603-611. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02480599
- Reynolds, J. M., (2011), "An Introduction to applied and Environmental Geophysics", Second Edition, pp. 307-368.
- Sohn, D. S., Lee, J. H., Jeong, H. S., Park, J. Y., and Jeong, J. H., (2013), "A Method for Evaluation of Hollow Existence in Sublayers of Concrete Pavement Considering Pavement Stiffness", International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 95-102. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2013.15.1.095
- Yeom, W. S., Jeong, H. S., Yan, Y. S., Sohn, D. S., Lee, J. H., and Jeong, J. H., (2013), "Optimal Joint Position in Concrete Pavement Slab over Skewed Box Culvert", International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 47-55. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2013.15.5.047