- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Consumer Characteristics Influencing 'Difficulty in Discarding' Fashion Goods
패션제품 버리기 어려움에 영향을 미치는 소비자 특성
- Park, Hyun-Hee (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ku, Yang-Suk (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2017.07.24
- Accepted : 2017.09.15
- Published : 2017.10.31
The purpose of this study was to identify the socio-psychological variables and demographic factors influencing the difficulty people may have in discarding fashion goods. In addition, differences of disposal behavior were investigated according to the degree of reported difficulty with which people discarded fashion goods. A total of 260 survey questionnaires were analyzed. Frequency, correlation, exploratory factor analysis, reliability, t-test and multiple regression analyses were used for data analysis using SPSS 22.0. The study results were as follows. First, the difficulty of discarding of fashion goods was positively affected by concern for the environment and the potential for creative reuse of fashion goods, whereas it was not influenced by interdependence. Second, there were differences in the difficulty with which people discarded fashion goods according to demographic factors such as gender and whether or not they held certain religious beliefs; however, there were no differences among other demographic factors. Third, the group demonstrating a high degree of difficulty in discarding fashion goods preferred certain disposal behaviors such as donating to religious organizations, schools, charities etc., exchanging with other people or bartering, reforming for other purposes, selling to secondhand shops or on the internet, storing without wearing it, or discarding it after salvaging reusable parts. The results of this study provide various guidelines for consumers and retailers of fashion products who are interested in the efficient disposal of fashion goods.
difficulty in discarding;disposal behavior;concern for environment;creative reuse;demographics
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ahn, H. A. (1994). The effect of housewife's awareness of environmental problems on environmental management behavior. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Bae, J. S., Cho, E. Y., & Park, E. H. (2001). Behavior on clothes care of female consumers by lifestyle groups. Family and Environment Research, 39(6), 1-13.
- Balderjahn, I. (1988). Personality variables and environmental attitudes as predictors of ecologically responsible consumption patterns. Journal of Business Research, 17(1), 51-56. doi:10.1016/0148-2963(88) 90022-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(88)90022-7
- Baumgartner, J. (2012). You are what you wear: What your clothes reveal about you. Philadelphia: Da Capo Books.
- Bianchi, C., & Birtwistle, G. (2012). Consumer clothing disposal behavior: A comparative study. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 36, 335-341. doi:10.1111/j.1470-6431.2011.01011.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2011.01011.x
- Bruce, M., & Daly, L. (2006). Buyer behavior for fast fashion. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 10(3), 329-344. doi: 10.1108/13612020610679303 https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020610679303
- Burke, M. W., Conn, D., & Lutz, R. J. (1978). Using psychographic variables to investigate product disposition behavior. Jain S. C.(ed.). Proceedings of the AMA educators' conference (pp.321-326). Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association.
- Cha, J. H., & Cheong, J. W. (1993). Collectivism in modern Korean society. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 7(1), 150-163.
- Chaiy, S. (2007). Marketing research. Seoul: B&M books.
- Chang, G. H., & Park, J. O. (1997). The effects of the socially responsible clothing consumption attitude on the clothing risposition behavior. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 21(4), 795-805.
- Choi, E. J., & Kim, Y. S. (2007). An effect of values, environmental knowledge, and environmental involvement on the ecologically concerned behavior of college students. Journal of Consumption Culture, 10(3), 15-41. doi:10.17053/jcc.2007.10.3.002 https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2007.10.3.002
- Choi, I. R. (2011). Study of the clothing behavior and fiber preferences of multicultural families. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 19(4), 863-875. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2011.19.4.863
- Cooper, T. (2004). Inadequate life? evidence of consumer attitudes to product obsolescence. Journal of Consumer Policy, 27(4), 421-449. doi:10.1007/s10603-004-2284-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10603-004-2284-6
- Coulter, R. A., & Ligas, M. (2003). To retain or to relinquish: Exploring the disposition practices of packrats and purgers. Advances in Consumer Research, 30, 38-43.
- Cruz-Cardenas, J., Gonzalez, R., & del Val Nunez, M. T. (2015). The use of disliked gifts from a consumer behavior perspective. Journal of Business Research, 68(7), 1635-1637. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.02.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.02.008
- Frost, R. O., & Gross, R. C. (1993). The hoarding of possessions. Behavior Research and Therapy, 31(4), 367-381. doi:10.1016/0005-7967(93)90094-B https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(93)90094-B
- Frost, R. O., Meunier, S. A., Steketee, G., & Tolin, D. F. (2010). Course of compulsive hoarding and its relationship to life events. Depression and Anxiety, 27(9), 829-838. doi:10.1002/da.20684 https://doi.org/10.1002/da.20684
- Frost, R. O., Steketee, G., & Grisham, J. (2004). Measurement of compulsive hoarding: Saving inventory-revised. Behavior Research and Therapy, 42(10), 1163-1182. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2003.07.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2003.07.006
- Ha, C. Y., Koh, A. R., & Chung, M. S. (2005). Female adolescents' clothing behavior and hair style attitude as related to sensation seeking and body image. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(5), 715-726.
- Hacker, L. E., Park, J. M., Timpano, K .R., Cavitt, M. A., Alvaro, J. L., Lewin, A. B., Murphy, T. K., & Storch, E. A. (2016). Hoarding in children with ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders, 20(7), 617-626. doi:10.1177/1087054712455845 https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054712455845
- Harrell, G. D., & Mcconocha, D. M. (1992). Personal factors related to consumer product disposal tendencies. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 26(2), 397-417. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6606.1992.tb00034.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.1992.tb00034.x
- Haws, K. L., Winterich, K. P., & Naylor, R. W. (2014). Seeing the world through green-tinted glasses: Green consumption values and responses to environmentally friendly products. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 24(3), 336-354. doi:10.1016/j.jcps.2013.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2013.11.002
- Haws, K. L., Naylor, R. W., Coulter, R. A., & Bearden, W. O. (2012). Keeping it all without being buried alive: Understanding product retention tendency. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22, 224-236. doi:10.1016/j.jcps.2011.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2011.05.003
- Hofstede, G. (1997). Cultures and organizations: Software of the mind. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Hwang, J. P., Tsai, S. J., Yang, C. H., Liu, K. M., & Lirng, J. F. (1998). Hoarding behavior in dementia. A preliminary report. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 6(4), 285-289.
- Jacoby, J. (1976). Consumer research: Telling it like it is. In B. B. Anderson (ed.). Advances in Consumer Research, 3, 1-11.
- Jacoby, J., Berning, C. K., & Dietvorst, T. F. (1977). What about disposition. Journal of Marketing, 41(2), 22-28. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250630
- Jeon, J. O., & Lee, E. K. (2013). Psychology of the people who can't throw away: Psychological mechanisms of compulsive hoarding behavior. Korea Marketing Review, 28(6), 109-136.
- Joo, J. J. (2015). The effects of police officer's individualismcollectivism value on police officer's job attitude. The Korean Association of Police Science Review, 53, 213-237.
- Kim, S. J., Lee, J. Y., & Lee, K. H. (2016). Global pricing strategy of the SPA brand: Comparison with GDP and big mac index. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 18(3), 301-316. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.3.301 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.3.301
- Kim, S. W. (1998). Clothing and its reuse: Analysis on the cause and the period of unused clothing: Focusing on the unmarried women workers. Journal of Human Environment and Art, 21, 77-111.
- Kim, S. W. (2003). A study on environment-friendly consumption of adolescents consumer. Family and Environment Research, 41(6), 105-117.
- Kim, S. W., & Cho, H. S. (2000). A study on clothing recycling disposition behavior: Focusing on the unmarried women workers. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 18(2), 15-27.
- Kim, S. W., & Lee, Y. R. (2012). What is beauty?-The aesthetic cognition of Korean women in their 20s and 30s. Journal of Consumer Studies, 23(2), 351-382.
- Kim, Y. J. (2015). College student consumers' evaluation toward the eco friendly program of SPA brands. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 21(3), 169-180.
- Kong, J. H. (2012). Ethical consumption and clothing consumption behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Koo, D. M. (2013). Research methodology. Paju: Hakhyunsa.
- Kwon, H. (2014). The effect of boredom on clothing disposal behavior. Unpublished Master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Laitala, K. (2014). Consumers' clothing disposal behavior-a synthesis of research results. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 38(5), 444-457. doi:10.1111/ijcs.12088 https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12088
- Lastovicka, J. L., Bettencourt, L. A., Hughner, R. S., & Kuntze, R. J. (1999). Lifestyle of the tight and frugal: Theory and measurement. Journal of Consumer Research, 26(1), 85-98. doi:10.1086/209552 https://doi.org/10.1086/209552
- Lee, J. S., & Choi, J. W. (2002). A study on the comparison of housewife's clothing management behaviors in rural & urban community. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(1), 95-103.
- Lee, Y. W. (2014). Content planning for a ubiquitous wardrobe: Application of an RFID database. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 22(2), 313-325. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.2.313 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.2.313
- Leonard-Barton, D. (1981). Voluntary simplicity lifestyles and energyconservation. Journal of Consumer Research, 8(3), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.1086/208861
- McAfee, A., Dessain, V., & Sjoeman, A. (2004). Zara: IT for fast fashion. Boston: Harvard Business Publishing.
- Morgan, L. R., & Birtwistle, G. (2009). An investigation of young fashion consumers' disposal habits. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 33, 190-198. doi:10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00756.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00756.x
- Mueller, A., Mueller, U., Albert, P., Mertens, C., Silbermann, A., Mitchell, J. E., & De Zwaan, M. (2007). Hoarding in a compulsive buying sample. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 45(11), 2754-2763. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2007.07.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2007.07.012
- Nicosia, F. M., & Mayer, R. N. (1976). Toward a sociology of consumption. Journal of Consumer Research, 3, 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1086/208653
- Packard, V. (1960). The status seekers. London: Longmans.
- Park, H. H., & Ku, Y. S. (2016). The influence of shopping orientation on difficulty discarding and disposal behaivor of fashion products. Fashion & Textiles Research Journal, 18(6), 833-843. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.6.833 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.6.833
- Price, L. L., & Ridgeway, N. M. (1983). Development of a scale to measure use innovativeness. In Richard P. Bagozzi & Alice M. Tybout(Eds.). Advances in Consumer Research (pp. 679-684). Ann Arbor, MI: Association for Consumer Research.
- Rho, N. S. (1994). A study on awareness of environmental management knowledge and environmental management behavior of housewives. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Rodriguez, C. I., Simpson, H. B., Liu, S.-M., Levinson, A., & Blanco, C. (2013). Prevalence and correlates of difficulty discarding: Results from a national sample of the U. S. population. Journal of Nervous Mental Disease, 201(9), 795-801. doi:10.1097/NMD.0b013e3182a21471 https://doi.org/10.1097/NMD.0b013e3182a21471
- Schahn, J., & Holzer, E. (1990). Studies of individual environmental concern: The role of knowledge, gender and background variables. Environment and Behavior, 12, 157-166.
- Schwepker, C. H. Jr., & Cornwell, T. B. (1991). An examination of ecologically concerned consumers and their intention to purchase ecologically packaged products. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 10(2), 77-101.
- Seo, J. H. (1997). Environmentally responsible consumer disposal behavior and related variables. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 15(1), 27-40.
- Sharma, P. (2010). Measuring personal cultural orientations: scale development and validation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38(6), 787-806. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-009-0184-7
- Shim, S. Y. (1995). Environmentalism and consumers' clothing disposal patterns: An exploratory study. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 13(1), 38-48. doi:10.1177/0887302X9501300105 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9501300105
- Solomon, M. R., & Rabolt, N. J. (2009). Consumer behavior in fashion. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
- Song, K. J., & Kim, J. S. (2005). The effects of body-image measured by multi measurements on body modification, self concept, and clothing behavior. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(4), 391-402.
- Van Nes, N. & Cramer, J. (2006) Product lifetime optimization: A challenging strategy towards more sustainable consumption patterns. Journal of Cleaner Production, 14(15), 1307-1318. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2005.04.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2005.04.006
- Webb, D. J., Mohr, L. A., & Harris, K. E. (2008). A re-examination of socially responsible consumption and its measurement. Journal of Business Research, 61(2), 91-98. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.05.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.05.007
- Woodward, S. (2007). Why women wear what they wear. New York: Berg.
- Yoo, S. J., Lee, M. J., & Lee, H. R. (2015). A survey study on influencing factors and requirements for clothing selection of bike commuters. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 21(4), 415-424.
- Yoo, Y. S. (1996). A study on the women's clothing discard behavior. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 20(1), 142-156.
- Yoon, W. A., & Kim, K. O. (2000). A scale development in the propensity of collectivism-individualism among Korean consumers. Journal of the Consumer Studies, 11(3), 1-14.
- Yu, J. H., & Kim, M. K. (2013). A study on the clothing selection criteria by pursuit of clothing benefit groups and the preference of clothing color by moodstate. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 21(6), 938-949. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.6.938 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.6.938