- Volume 30 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Assessment of frozen storage duration effect on quality characteristics of various horse muscles
- Seong, Pil Nam ;
- Seo, Hyun Woo ;
- Kim, Jin-Hyoung ;
- Kang, Geun Ho ;
- Cho, Soo-Hyun ;
- Chae, Hyun Seok ;
- Park, Beom Young ;
- Ba, Hoa Van
- Received : 2017.01.18
- Accepted : 2017.06.08
- Published : 2017.12.01
Objective: The study aimed at assessing the effects of frozen storage duration on quality characteristics, lipid oxidation and sensory quality of various horse muscles. Methods: Five representative muscles: longissimus dorsi (LD), gluteus medius (GM), semimembranosus (SM), biceps femoris (BF), and triceps brachii (TB) at 24 h post-mortem obtained from 28-mo-old Jeju female breed horses (n = 8) were used in the present investigation. The muscles were vacuumpackaged and frozen at
Horsemeat;Muscle;Frozen Storage;Lipid Oxidation;Sensory Quality
- Tateo A, De Palo P, Ceci E, Centoducati P. Physicochemical properties of meat of Italian heavy draft horses slaughtered at the age of eleven months. J Anim Sci 2008;86:1205-14. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0629
- Belaunzaran X, Lavin P, Barron LJR, Mantecon AR, Kramer JKG, Aldai N. An assessment of the fatty acid composition of horse-meat available at the retail level in northern Spain. Meat Sci 2017;124:39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.10.014
- FAO. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italia: FAOSTAT; [cited 2015 Apr 29]. Available from: http://faostat3.fao.org/home/index.html#DOWNLOAD
- Lorenzo JM, Sarries MV, Franco D. Sex effect on meat quality and carcass traits of foals slaughtered at 15 months of age. Animal 2013;7:1199-207. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731113000189
- Seong PN, Park KM, Cho SH, et al. Effect of cut type and post-mortem ageing on the technological quality, textural profile and sensory characteristics of horse meat. Anim Prod Sci 2016;56:1551-9. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN14545
- Seong PN, Park KM, Kang GH, et al. The Differences in chemical composition, physical quality traits and nutritional values of horsemeat as affected by various retail cut types. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2016;29:89-99.
- Muela E, Sanudo C, Campo MM, Medel I, Beltran JA. Effect of freezing method and frozen storage duration on instrumental quality of lamb throughout display. Meat Sci 2010;84:662-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.028
- Pietrasik Z, Janz JAM. Influence of freezing and thawing on the hydration characteristics, quality, and consumer acceptance of whole muscle beef injected with solutions of salt and phosphate. Meat Sci 2009;81:523-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.10.006
- Leygonie C, Britz TJ, Hoffman LC. Impact of freezing and thawing on the quality of meat: Review. Meat Sci 2012;91:93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.01.013
- Buege JA, Aust JD. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol 1987;52:302-9.
- Min JS, Lee SO, Jang A, et al. Relationship between the concentration of biogenic amines and volatile basic nitrogen in fresh beef, pork, and chicken meat. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2007;20:1278-84. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1278
- Meilgaard M, Civille GV, Carr BT. Sensory evaluation techniques 4th edn. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press; 1991.
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System) Institute Inc. Guide for personal computers. 6th edn. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.; 2007.
- Fernandez PP, Sanz PD, Molina-Garcia AD, et al. Conventional freezing plus high pressure-low temperature treatment: physical properties, microbial quality, and storage stability of beef meat. Meat Sci 2007;77:616-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.05.014
- Vieira C, Diaz MT, Martínez B, García-Cachan MD. Effect of frozen storage conditions (temperature and length of storage) on microbiological and sensory quality of rustic crossbred beef at different states of ageing. Meat Sci 2009;83:398-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.06.013
- Farouk MM, Swan JE. Effect of rigor temperature and frozen storage on functional properties of hot-boned manufacturing beef. Meat Sci 1998;49:233-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00134-4
- Ba HV, Park KM, Dashmaa D, Hwang IH. Effect of muscle type and chiller ageing period on the chemical compositions, meat quality, sensory attributes and volatile compounds of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo) beef. Anim Sci J 2014;85:163-74.
- Destefanis G, Brugiapaglia A, Barge MT, Dal Molin E. Relationship between beef consumer tenderness perception and Warner-Bratzler shear force. Meat Sci 2008;78:153-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.05.031
- Shanks BC, Wulf DM, Maddock RJ. Technical note: The effect of freezing on Warner–Bratzler shear force values of beef longissimus steaks across several post mortem aging periods. J Anim Sci 2002;80:2122-5.
- Crouse JD, Koohmaraie M. Effect of freezing of beef on subsequent postmortem aging and shear force. J Food Sci 1990;55:573-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb06819.x
- Belew JB, Brooks JC, McKenna DR, Savell JW. Warner–Bratzler shear evaluations of 40 bovine muscles. Meat Sci 2003;64:507-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00242-5
- Faustman C, Cassens RG. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: a review. J Muscles Foods 1990;3:217-43.
- Farouk MM, Swan JE. Effect of muscle condition before freezing and simulated chemical changes during frozen storage on the pH and color of beef. Meat Sci 1998;50:245-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00036-9
- Cai J, Chen Q, Wan X, Zhao J. Determination of total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N) content and Warner–Bratzlershear force (WBSF) in pork using Fourier transform near infrared (FT-NIR) spectroscopy. Food Chem 2011;126:1354-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.11.098
- Huang L, Zhao J, Chen Q, Zhang Y. Nondestructive measurement of total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N) in pork meat by integrating near infrared spectroscopy, computer vision and electronic nose techniques. Food Chem 2014;145:228-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.06.073
- Ba HV, Touseef A, Hwang IH. Significant influence of particular unsaturated fatty acids and pH on the volatile flavor compounds in meat-like model systems. Meat Sci 2013;94:480-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.029
- Wanous MP, Olson DP, Kraft AA. Pallet location and freezing rate effects on the oxidation of lipids and myoglobin in commercial fresh pork sausage. J Food Sci 1989;54:549-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb04647.x
- Campo MM, Nute GR, Hughes SI, et al. Flavor perception of oxidation in beef. Meat Sci 2006;72:303-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.07.015
- Wood JD, Enser M, Fisher AV, et al. Fat deposition, fatty acid composition, and meat quality: a review. Meat Sci 2008;78:343-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.019
- Muela E, Monge P, Sanudo C, Campo MM, Eltran JA. Sensory quality of lamb following long-term frozen storage. Meat Sci 2016;114:32-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.12.001
- Comparative study of nutritional composition and color traits of meats obtained from the horses and Korean native black pigs raised in Jeju Island vol.32, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0159
Supported by : Rural Development Administration