- Volume 30 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Blood haematology, muscle pH and serum cortisol changes in pigs with different levels of drip loss
- Koomkrong, Nunyarat (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University) ;
- Boonkaewwan, Chaiwat (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University) ;
- Laenoi, Watchara (Department of Animal Science, School of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Phayao) ;
- Kayan, Autchara (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University)
- Received : 2017.01.21
- Accepted : 2017.05.24
- Published : 2017.12.01
Objective: An experiment was conducted to study the blood haematology, muscle pH, and serum cortisol changes in pigs with different levels of drip loss. Methods: Two groups (low and high) of 20 animals were selected from 100 pigs based on drip loss. All [
- Joo ST, Kim GD, Hwang YH, Ryu YC. Control of fresh meat quality through manipulation of muscle fiber characteristics. Meat Sci 2013;95:828-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.044
- den Hertog-Meischke MJA, van Laack RJLM, Smulders FJM. The water-holding capacity of fresh meat. Vet Quart 1997;19:175-81. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.1997.9694767
- Huff-Lonergan E, Lonergan SM. New frontiers in understanding drip loss in pork: recent insights on the role of postmortem muscle biochemistry. J Anim Breed Genet 2007;124:19-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2007.00683.x
- Zelechowska E, Przybylski W, Jaworska D, Sante-Lhoutellier V. Technological and sensory pork quality in relation to muscle and drip loss protein profiles. Eur Food Res Technol 2012;234:883-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-012-1705-z
- Braden KW. Converting muscle to meat: the physiology of rigor. In: Kerth CR, editor. The science of meat quality. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2013. p. 79-97.
- Adzitey F, Nurul H. Pale soft exudative (PSE) and dark firm dry (DFD) meats: causes and measures to reduce these incidences - a mini review. Int Food Res J 2011;18:11-20.
- Etim NN, Enyenihi GE, Williams ME, Udo MD, Offiong EEA. Haematological parameters: indicators of the physiological status of farm animals. Br J Sci 2013;10:33-45.
- Etim NN, Williams ME, Akpabio U, Offiong EEA. Haematological parameters and factors affecting their values. Agric Sci 2014;2:37-47.
- Wolmarans WJ. The effect of transport on live weight loss, meat quality and blood haematology in slaughter ostriches [master's thesis]. Stellenbosch, ZA: University of Stellenbosch; 2011.
- Giammarco M, Vignola G, Mazzone G, Fusaro I, Lambertini L. Haematological parameters as indicators of transport stress in rabbits. In: Proceedings 10th World Rabbit Congress; 2012 Sep 3-6; Sharm El Sheikh, EG: World Rabbit Science Association; 2012. p. 1033-7.
- Scope A, Filip T, Gabler C, Resch F. The influence of stress from transport and handling on hematologic and clinical chemistry blood parameters of racing pigeons (Columba livia domestica). Avian Dis 2002;46:224-9. https://doi.org/10.1637/0005-2086(2002)046[0224:TIOSFT]2.0.CO;2
- Skrlep M, Prevolnik M, Segula B, Candek-Potokar M. Association of plasma stress markers at slaughter with carcass or meat quality in pigs. Slov Vet Res 2009;46:133-42.
- Averos X, Herranz A, Sanchez R, Comella JX, Gosalvez LF. Serum stress parameters in pigs transported to slaughter under commercial conditions in different seasons. Vet Med Czech 2007;52:333-42.
- Pighin DG, Cunzolo SA, Zimerman M, et al. Impact of adrenaline or cortisol injection on meat quality development of Merino hoggets. J Integr Agric 2013;12:1931-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-3119(13)60630-9
- Dokmanovic M, Baltic MZ, Duric J, et al. Correlations among stress parameters, meat and carcass quality parameters in pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2015;28:435-41. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0322
- Choe JH, Kim BC. Association of blood glucose, blood lactate, serum cortisol levels, muscle metabolites, muscle fiber type composition, and pork quality traits. Meat Sci 2014;97:137-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.01.024
- Honikel KO, Kim CJ, Hamm R. Sarcomere shortening of prerigor muscles and its influence on drip loss. Meat Sci 1986;16:267-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90038-0
- Adenkola AY, Ayo JO, Sackey AKB, Adelaiye AB. Haematological and serum biochemical changes in pigs administered with ascorbic acid and transported by road for four hours during the harmattan season. J Cell Anim Biol 2009;3:21-8.
Oluwole OO, Omitogun GO. Haematological traits of Nigerian indigenous pig and its hybrid (50% Large White
$\times$50 NIP) at post weaning ages. Am J Mol Biol 2016;6:45-52.
- Hambrecht E, Eissen JJ, Nooijen RIJ, et al. Preslaughter stress and muscle energy largely determine pork quality at two commercial processing plants. J Anim Sci 2004;82:1401-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8251401x
- Morrow-Tesch J, Andersson G. Immunological and hematological characterizations of the wasting pig syndrome. J Anim Sci 1994;72:976-83. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.724976x
- Ryu YC, Kim BC. The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics, postmortem metabolic rate, and meat quality of pig longissimus dorsi muscle. Meat Sci 2005;71:351-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.015
- Scheffler TL, Gerrard DE. Mechanisms controlling pork quality development: the biochemistry controlling postmortem energy metabolism. Meat Sci 2007;77:7-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.04.024
- Huff-Lonergan E, Lonergan SM. Mechanisms of water-holding capacity of meat: the role of postmortem biochemical and structural changes. Meat Sci 2005;71:194-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.022
- Apple JK, Yancey JWS. Water-holding capacity of meat. In: Kerth CR, editor. The science of meat quality. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2013. p. 119-45.
- Foury A, Lebret B, Chevillon P, et al. Alternative rearing systems in pigs: consequences on stress indicators at slaughter and meat quality. Animal 2011;5:1620-5. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731111000784
- Peres LM, Bridi AM, da Silva CA, et al. Effect of low or high stress in pre-slaughter handling on pig carcass and meat quality. R Bras Zootec 2014;43:363-8. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982014000700004
- Shaw FD, Trout GR, McPhee CP. Plasma and muscle cortisol measurements as indicators of meat quality and stress in pigs. Meat Sci 1995;39:237-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)P1824-F
- McKay LI, Cidlowski JA. Pharmacokinetics of corticosteroids. In: Kufe DW, Pollock RE, Weichselbaum RR, et al., editors. Holland-frei cancer medicine. 6th ed. Hamilton, New Zealand: BC Decker; 2003.
- Dalin AM, Magnusson U, Häggendal J, Nyberg L. The effect of transport stress on plasma levels of catecholamines, cortisol, corticosteroidbinding globulin, blood cell count, and lymphocyte proliferation in pigs. Acta Vet Scand 1993;34:59-68.