- Volume 30 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Estimation of genetic parameters of the productive and reproductive traits in Ethiopian Holstein using multi-trait models
- Ayalew, Wondossen (Wolkite University College of Agriculture and Natural Resource) ;
- Aliy, Mohammed (Jimma University College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Negussie, Enyew (Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke), Biometrical Genetics)
- Received : 2017.03.13
- Accepted : 2017.06.13
- Published : 2017.11.01
Objective: This study estimated the genetic parameters for productive and reproductive traits. Methods: The data included production and reproduction records of animals that have calved between 1979 and 2013. The genetic parameters were estimated using multivariate mixed models (DMU) package, fitting univariate and multivariate mixed models with average information restricted maximum likelihood algorithm. Results: The estimates of heritability for milk production traits from the first three lactation records were
Genetic Parameter;Multi-trait Model;Holstein Friesian;Productive and Reproductive Traits
- Choudhary V, Kothekar MD, Raheja KL, et al. Genetic evaluation of first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle using restricted maximum likelihood technique. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:639-43. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.639
- Unalan A, Cebeci Z. Estimation of genetic parameters and correlations for the first three lactation milk yields in Holstein Friesian cattle by the REML method. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2004;28:1043-9.
- Ayied YA, Jadoa JA, Abdulrada JA. Heritabilties and breeding values of production and reproduction traits of Holstein cattle in Iraq. J Basrah Res Sci 2011;37:66-70.
- Rege JEO. Genetic analysis of reproductive and productive performance of Friesian cattle in Kenya. J Anim Breed Genet 1991;108:412-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1991.tb00203.x
- Khan MS, Rehman ZU, Ahmad S, Hassan FU, Rehman MSU. Prediction of standard lactation milk yield from completed lactations of longer duration in cattle and buffaloes. Pakistan Vet J 2011;32:122-4.
- Ajili N, Rekik A, Gara B, Bouraoui R. Relationships among milk production, reproductive traits, and herd life for Tunisian Holstein Friesian cows. African J Agric Res 2007;2:047-051.
- Sendros D, Neser FWC, Schoeman SJ. Estimates of genetic parameters for Boran, Friesian, and crosses of Friesian and Jersey with the Boran cattle in the tropical highlands of Ethiopia: milk production traits and cow weight. J Anim Breed Genet 2004;121:163-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2004.00446.x
- Madsen P, Jensen J. DMU A package for analysing multivariate mixed models. Version 6, release 5.2. Tjele Denmark: Center for Quantitative Genetics and Genomics Dept. of Molecular Biology and Genetics, University of Aarhus Research Centre; 2013.
- Emana G. Economic index weight age for dairy traits preference in central highlands of Ethiopia [master's thesis]. Jimma, Ethiopia: Jimma University; 2015.
- Falconer DS, Mackay TFC. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 4th ed. London, England; Longman group; 1996. p.463.
- Gader AZ, Ahmed MK A, Musa LMA, Peters KJ. Milk yield and reproductive performance of Friesian cows under Sudan tropical conditions. Arch Tierz 2007;50:155-64.
- Usman T, Guo G, Suhail SM, et al. Performance traits study of Holstein Friesian cattle under subtropical conditions. J Anim Plant Sci 2012;22:92-5.
- Hermiz HN, Juma KH, Saadi SK, Aldoori TS. Genetic parameters of production, reproduction and growth traits of Holstein cows. Dirasat Agric Sci 2005;32:157-62.
- Hammoud MH, Salem MMI. The genetic evaluation of some first lactation traits of Holstein cows in Egypt. Alex J Agric Res 2013;58:1-8.
- Dematawewa CMB, Berger PJ. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for 305-day yield, fertility, and survival in Holsteins. J Dairy Sci 1998;81:2700-9. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75827-8
- Kadarmideen HN, Thompson R, Simm G. Linear and threshold model genetic parameters for disease, fertility and milk production in dairy cattle. In UK dairy cattle. Anim Sci 2000;71:411-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800055338
- Ojango JM, Pollott GE. Genetics of milk yield and fertility traits in Holstein Friesian cattle on large scale Kenyan farms. J Anim Sci 2001;79:1742-50. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.7971742x
- Eid II, Elsheikh MO, Yousif IA. Estimation of genetic and non-genetic parameters of Friesian Cattle under hot climate. J Agric Sci 2012;4:95-102.
- Thompson R, Meyer K. A review of theoretical aspects in the estimation of breeding values for multi-trait selection. Livest Prod Sci 1986;15:299-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(86)90071-0
- Strabel T, Misztal I, Bertrand JK. Approximation of reliabilities of multiple trait models with maternal effects. J Anim Sci 2001;79:833-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.794833x
- Montaldo HH, Castillo-Juarez H, Valencia-Posadas M, Cienfuegos-Rivas EG, Ruiz-Lopez FJ. Genetic and environmental parameters for milk production, udder health, and fertility traits in Mexican Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci 2010;93:2168-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2050
- Makgahlela ML, Banga CB, Norris D, Dzama K, Ng JW. Genetic correlations between female fertility and production traits in South African Holstein cattle. S Afr J Anim Sci 2007;37:180-8.
- Mhamdi N, Aloulou R, Brar SK, Bouallegue M, Ben-Hamouda M. Phenotypic and genetic parameters of reproductive traits in Tunisian Holstein cows. Biotechnol Anim Husb 2010;26:297-307. https://doi.org/10.2298/BAH1006297M
- Zambrano JC, Echeverri J. Genetic and environmental variance and covariance Parameters for some Reproductive traits of Holstein and Jersey cattle in Antioquia (Colombia). R Bras Zootec 2014;43:132-9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982014000300005
- Kadarmideen HN, Thompson R, Coffey MP, Kossaibati MA. Genetic parameters and evaluations from single and multiple trait analysis of dairy cow fertility and milk production. Livest Prod Sci 2003;81:183-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00274-9
- Shalaby NA, Oudah EZM, Abdel-Momin M. Genetic analysis of some productive and reproductive traits and sire evaluation imported and locally born Friesian cattle raise in Egypt. Pakistan J Boil Sci 2001;4:893-901. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2001.893.901
- Ahmad M, Van der Werf JHJ, Javed K. Genetic and phenotypic correlations for some economic traits in dairy cattle. Pakistan Vet J 2001;21:81-6.
- Yosef T. Genetic and non-genetic analysis of fertility and production traits in Holetta and Ada'a Berga dairy herds [master's thesis]. Alemaya, Ethiopia: Alemaya University; 2006.
- Atil H, khattab AS, Yakupoglu C. Genetic analysis for milk traits in different herds of Holstein Friesian cattle in Turkey. J Biol Sci 2001;1:737-41. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2001.737.741
- Ghiasi H, Pakdel A, Nejati-Javaremi A, et al. Genetic variance components for female fertility in Iranian Holstein cows. Livest Sci 2011;139:277-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.01.020