- Volume 30 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Performance differences of Rhode Island Red, Bashang Long-tail Chicken, and their reciprocal crossbreds under natural cold stress
- Xie, Shanshan ;
- Yang, Xukai ;
- Gao, Yahui ;
- Jiao, Wenjie ;
- Li, Xinghua ;
- Li, Yajie ;
- Ning, Zhonghua
- Received : 2016.12.13
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.10.01
Objective: The Bashang Long-tail chicken (BS), an indigenous Chinese breed, is considered cold tolerant. We selected BS, the Rhode Island Red (RIR), and their reciprocal crossbreds for the present study. The objectives were: i) to validate whether BS is cold tolerant and whether egg production and cold tolerance of crossbreds could be improved; and ii) to determine the physiological characteristics that underlie cold tolerance and favorable egg production performance in cold environments. Methods: A total of 916 chickens were reared in warm and natural cold environments (daily mean ambient temperature varied from
Cold Stress;Serum Biochemical Parameters;Cloacal Temperature;Egg Production Performance;Bashang Long-tail Chicken;Rhode Island Red
- Hurnik JF. Animal welfare: ethical aspects and practical considerations. Poult Sci 1990;69:1827-34. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0691827
- Cheng HW. Breeding of tomorrow's chickens to improve well-being. Poult Sci 2010;89:805-13. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00361
- Besbes B. Genotype evaluation and breeding of poultry for performance under sub-optimal village conditions. Worlds Poult Sci J 2009;65: 260-71. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933909000221
- Siegel HS. Stress, strains and resistance. Br Poult Sci 1995;36:3-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669508417748
- Collier RJ, Gebremedhin KG. Thermal biology of domestic animals. Annu Rev Anim Biosci 2015;3:513-32. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-animal-022114-110659
- Spinu M, Degen AA. Effect of cold stress on performance and immune responses of Bedouin and White Leghorn hens. Br Poult Sci 1993;34: 177-85. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669308417573
- Campo JL, Prieto MT, Davila SG. Effects of housing system and cold stress on heterophil-to-lymphocyte ratio, fluctuating asymmetry, and tonic immobility duration of chickens. Poult Sci 2008;87:621-6. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00466
- Blahova J, Dobsikova R, Strakova E, Suchy P. Effect of low environmental temperature on performance and blood system in broiler chickens (Gallus domesticus). Acta Vet Brno 2007;76:S17-S23. https://doi.org/10.2754/avb200776S8S017
- Nguyen PH, Greene E, Donoghue A, et al. A new insight into cold stress in poultry production. Adv Food Technol Nutr Sci 2016;2: 143-4.
- Qi JF. Report on domestic animal genetic resources in China (in Chinese). Beijing China: China Agriculture Press; 2004.
- Khawaja T, Khan SH, Mukhtar N, Parveen A. Comparative study of growth performance, meat quality and haematological parameters of Fayoumi, Rhode Island Red and their reciprocal crossbred chickens. Ital J Anim Sci 2012;11:211-6.
- National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th rev. ed. Washigton, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 1994.
- Qiao X, Zhang HJ, Wu SG, et al. Effect of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate calcium on growth, blood parameters, and carcass qualities of broiler chickens. Poult Sci 2013;92:753-9. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2012-02341
- Duan JL, Shao F, Shao YG, et al. Androgen Inhibits abdominal fat accumulation and negatively regulates the PCK1 gene in male chickens. Plos One 2013;8:e59636. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0059636
- Dawkins MS, Layton R. Breeding for better welfare: genetic goals for broiler chickens and their parents. Anim Welf 2012;21:147-55.
- Yahav S, Straschnow A, Plavnik I, Hurwitz S. Blood system response of chickens to changes in environmental temperature. Poult Sci 1997; 76:627-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.4.627
- Yunianto VD, Hayashi K, Kaneda S, Ohtsuka A, Tomita Y. Effect of environmental temperature on muscle protein turnover and heat production in tube-fed broiler chickens. Br J Nutr 1997;77:897-909. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19970088
- Debonne M, Baarendse PJJ, Van Den Brand H, et al. Involvement of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis and its interaction with the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in the ontogeny of avian thermoregulation: a review. Worlds Poult Sci J 2008;64:309-21. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933908000056
- Paakkonen T, Leppaluoto J. Cold exposure and hormonal secretion: a review. Int J Circumpolar Health 2002;61:265-76. https://doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v61i3.17474
- Hayashi K, Kuroki H, Kamizono T, Ohtsuka A. Comparison of the effects of thyroxine and triiodothyronine on heat production and skeletal muscle protein breakdown in chicken. J Poult Sci 2009;46: 212-6. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.46.212
- Silva JE. Thermogenic mechanisms and their hormonal regulation. Physiol Rev 2006;86:435-64. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00009.2005
- Yahav S. Domestic fowl - strategies to confront environmental conditions. Avian Biol Res 2000;11:81-95.
- Hornick JL, Van Eenaeme C, Gerard O, Dufrasne I, Istasse L. Mechanisms of reduced and compensatory growth. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2000;19:121-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(00)00072-2
- Shinder D, Luger D, Rusal M, et al. Early age cold conditioning in broiler chickens (Gallus domesticus): thermotolerance and growth responses. J Therm Biol 2002;27:517-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4565(02)00025-6
- Guo JL, Zheng QH, Yin QQ, Cheng W, Jiang YB. Study on mechanism of ascites syndrome of broilers. Am J Anim Vet Sci 2007;2:62-5. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajavsp.2007.62.65
- Puvadolpirod S, Thaxton JP. Model of physiological stress in chickens 1. Response parameters. Poult Sci 2000;79:363-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.3.363
- Wingfield JC, Sapolsky RM. Reproduction and resistance to stress: When and how. J Neuroendocrinol 2003;15:711-24. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2826.2003.01033.x
- Lovell TM, Knight PG, Groome NP, Gladwell RT. Changes in plasma inhibin A levels during sexual maturation in the female chicken and the effects of active immunization against inhibin alpha-subunit on reproductive hormone profiles and ovarian function. Biol Reprod 2001;64:188-96. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod64.1.188
- Ottinger MA, Bakst MR. Endocrinology of the avian reproductive system. J Avian Med Surg 1995;9:242-50.
- Sato E. Intraovarian control of selective follicular growth and induction of oocyte maturation in mammals. P Jpn Acad B-Phys 2015;91:76-91. https://doi.org/10.2183/pjab.91.76
- Thyroid transcriptome analysis reveals different adaptive responses to cold environmental conditions between two chicken breeds vol.13, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0191096
- Effects of commercial hatchery processing on short- and long-term stress responses in laying hens vol.9, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-38817-y