- Volume 30 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of microbiological, cellular and risk factors associated with subclinical mastitis in female buffaloes
- de Oliveira Moura, Emmanuella ;
- do Nascimento Rangel, Adriano Henrique ;
- de Melo, Maria Celeste Nunes ;
- Borba, Luiz Henrique Fernandes ;
- de Lima, Dorgival Morais Junior ;
- Novaes, Luciano Patto ;
- Urbano, Stela Antas ;
- de Andrade Neto, Julio Cesar
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2017.02.01
- Published : 2017.09.01
Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the microbiological and cellular milk profile for the diagnosis of subclinical mastitis in female buffaloes and to assess risk factors for predisposition of the disease. Methods: Analyses were carried out by standard plate count (SPC), identification of species and antibiotic resistance, somatic cell count (SCC), electrical electrical conductivity of milk (ECM), and lactoferrin content in milk. Teat cups were swabbed to evaluate risk factors, observing hyperkeratosis, milking vacuum pressure and cleanliness of the site. Hence, 30 female buffaloes were randomly selected (15 from a group in early lactation and 15 in late lactation). Results: The most common bacteria in the microbiological examination were Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp. and Corynebacterium sp. In the antibiotic sensitivity test, 10 (58.82%) of the 17 antibiotics tested were sensitive to all isolates, and resistant bacteria were Streptococcus uberis, Streptococcus dysgalactiae, Streptococcus haemolyticus, and Escherichia coli. It was observed that positive samples in the microbiological examination showed total bacterial count between
Bubaline;Somatic Cell Count (SCC);Quality;Production
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Faost agriculture data (Agricultural production- live animals) [cited 2014 Nov 2]. Available from: http://app.fao.org
- Araujo KBS, Rangel AHH, Fonseca FCE, et al. Influence of the year and calving season on production, composition and mozzarella cheese yield of water buffalo in the State of Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil. Ital J Anim Sci 2012;11:87-91.
- Garcia META, Couto EP, Ferreira MA. Organic milk produced in the federal district: physical-chemical and microbiological quality assessment. Atas Saude Ambient 2014;2:16-24.
- Medeiros ES, Barbosa SBP, Jatoba RB, et al. Profile of the somatic cell count in the intramammary infection in buffaloes in the Northeast Region of Brazil. Pesq Vet Bras 2011;31:219-23. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-736X2011000300006
- Ceciliani F, Ceron JJ, Eckersall PD, Sauerwein H. Acute phase proteins in ruminants. J Proteomics 2012;75:4207-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2012.04.004
- Association of Analytical Chemistry. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Arlington, VA: AOAC International; 1998.
- Ikram M. 1997. Microbiology. In: Pratt PW, editor. Laboratory procedures for veterinary technicians. Mosby MO: Publishing company; 119-258.
- Chi K, Andrade U, Ferreira A. Sanitary program in dairy cattle. Arch Vet Sci 2004;6(Abstr.).
- Quinn PJ, Markey BK, Carter ME, Donnelly WJ, Leonard FC. Veterinary microbiology and infectious diseases. Porto Alegre, Brazil: Artmed; 2005. 512 p.
- Koneman EW, Allen SD, Janda WM, Schreckenberger PC, Winn WC. Microbiological diagnosis: text and color atlas. 6th ed. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Guanabara Koogan; 2008.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). Approved Standard M2-A8. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests. Wayne, PA: National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards; 2003.
- SAS Institute Inc. Sas's user guide. Version 9.2 edition. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.; 2009.
- Soares AD, Rangel AHN, Lima Junior DM, Novaes LP, Bezerra KC. Composition of buffalo milk in different calving orders. Agropec Cient Semi-Arido 2013;9:56-64.
- Lima TCC, Rangel AHN, Macedo CS, et al. Composition and quality of milk and whey of buffalo milk in the state of Rio Grande do Norte. Acta Vet Brasi 2014;8:25-30.
- Newman KA, Rajala-Schultz PJ, Lakritz J, Degraves FJ. Lactoferrin concentrations in bovine Milk to dry-off. J Dairy Res 2009;76:426-32. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029909990033
- Pizauro LJL, Silva DG, Santana AM, et al. Biochemical profile, including proteinogram, of the whey of healthy primiparous and pluriparous buffaloes throughout lactation. Pesq Vet Bras 2014;34:79-86.
- Sant'ana VAC, Birgel EH, Rosenfeld AMF, Soares PC. Proteinograma de vacas lactentes submetidas a retencao lacteal. Br J Vet Res Anim Sci 2006;43:262-9. https://doi.org/10.11606/issn.1678-4456.bjvras.2006.26508
- Campanella L, Martini E, Pintore M, Tomassetti M. Determination of lactoferrin and immunoglobulin g in animal milks by new immunosensors. Sensors (Basel) 2009;9:2202-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/s90302202
- Giacinti G, Basirico L, Ronchi B, Bernabucci U. Lactoferrin concentration in buffalo milk. Ital J Anim Sci 2013;12:139-43.
- Kapronezai J, Melville P, Benites NR. Microbiological analysis, Tamis test and California Mastitis Test carried out on milk samples from buffalo females from flocks of the State of Sao Paulo. Arq Inst Biol 2005;72:183-7.
- Khan AZ, Muhammad G. Quarter-wise comparative prevalence of mastites in buffaloes and crossbreed cows. Pak Vet J 2005;25:105-10.
- Cunha AP, Silva LBG, Pinheiro Junior JW, et al. Antimicrobial susceptibility profile of contagious and environmental agents isolated from clinical and subclinical mastitis of buffaloes. Arq Inst Bio 2006;73:17-21.
- Nogueira P, Casseb AR, Pereira C, Silva SP. Microbiological evaluation and antibiogram of subclinical mastitis in buffaloes in the metropolitan region of Belem, PA, Brazil. Proc. 10th Annual Seminar of Scientific Initiation of UFRA, Belem; 2012.
- Oliveira AAF. Evaluation of aspiration and expression cytology in the diagnosis of buffalo mastitis and the search for toxigenic and beta-lactamase-producing strains of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli [Thesis]. Botucatu, Brazil: Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade Estadual Paulista; 2004. 87 p.
- Dhakal IP, Neupane M, Nagahata H. Evaluation of direct and indirect measures of quarter milk from crossbred buffaloes. Anim Sci J 2008;79:628-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00573.x
- Chavoshi M, Husaini J. Buffalo subclinical mastitis bacterial pathogens in Iran. 2nd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Technology. Singapore 2012; IPCBEE Pess; 2012. pp. 34:143-6.
- Costa EO, Garino Jr F, Watanabe ET, et al. Study of mastitis among ten dairy buffaloes herds (Bubalus bubalis) in the Vale do Ribeira Sao Paulo, Brazil. In: Proc. 5th World Buffalo Congress, Caserta, Italy. 1997.
- Langoni H, Domingues PF, Molero Filho JR, Baldini S. Etiology and bacterial sensitivity of subclinical mastitis in buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Ars Vet 2001;17:213-7.
- Bonini PR, Mendoza-Sanchez G, Nader Filho A, et al. Microbiological evaluation of milk samples positive to California mastits test in dairy buffalo cows (Buballus bubalis). Ital J Anim Sci 2007;6:884-7. https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2007.s2.884
- Saini SS, Sharma JK, Kwatra MS. Prevalence and etiology of subclinical mastitis among crossbred cows and buffaloes in Punjab. Ind J Dairy Sci 1994;47:103-6.
- Kumar R, Sharma A. Prevelence, etiology and antibiogram of mastitis in cows and buffaloes in Hisar, Haryana. Ind J Anim Sci 2009;72:361-3.
- Martins RP, Silda JAG, Nakazato L, Dutra V, Almeida Filho ES. Prevalence and infectious etiology of bovine mastitis in the Cuiaba microregion. Cienc Anim Bras 2010;11:181-7.
- Poll PSEM. Quality of milk, mastitis and antimicrobial susceptibility in milk production units with high somatic cell counts. [Thesis] Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Soropedica; 2012. 87 p.
- Lucheis SB. The importance of coagulase negative staphylococci in subclinical bovine mastitis and antimicrobial resistance. Pesq Tec 2011;8:1-6.
- Fernandes, D. Laboratory diagnosis in bovine mastitis: Its real importance and practical application. Technical Update 33, Pfizer Agricultural Division, 2006.
- Brito MAVP, Brito JRF, Silva MAS, Carmo RA. Minimum inhibitory concentration of ten antimicrobials for Staphylococcus aureus samples isolated from bovine intramammary infection. Arq Bras Med Vet Zoot 2001;53:531-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352001000500003
- Bastos PAS, Birgel EH. Murrah buffalo milk grown in Sao Paulo (Brazil): Influence of age, lactation phase, milking moment and bacterial isolation in physico-chemical and cellular composition. Rev Ed Cont Med Vet Zoot 2011;9:6-13.
- Hussain R, Javed MT, Khan A. Changes in some biochemical parameters and somatic cell counts in the milk of buffalo and cattle suffering from mastitis. Pak Vet J 2012;32:418-21.
- Philpot NW, Nickerson SC. Winning the fight against mastitis. Piracicaba, Brazil: Westfalia Surge/Westfalia Landtechnik do Brasil; 2002.
- Santos MV, Fonseca LFL. Strategies for controlling mastitis and improving milk quality. Barueri, Brazil: Manoele; 2007.
- Barreto MLJ, Rangel AHN, Araujo VM, et al. Correlation analysis between somatic cell count (SCC), production, fat content, protein and total dry extract of buffalo milk. Agropec Cien Semi-arido 2010;6:47-53.
- Salari F, Altomonte I, Martini, M. Il latte di bufala: studio di alcuni parametri produttivi. Large Anim Rev 2013;19:17-20.
- Murray PR, Baron EJO, Jorgensen JH, Landry ML, Pfaller MA. Manual of clinical microbiology. 9th ed. Washington: ASM Press II; 2007.
- Amaral FR, Carvalho LB, Brito JRF, Silva N, Souza GN. Composition and somatic cell count in buffalo milk in the Alto do Sao Francisco region, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Rev Inst Lat Candido Tostes 2004;59:37-41.
- Dhakal IP. Normal somatic cell count and subclinical mastitis in Murrah buffaloes. J Vet Med 2006;53:81-6.
- Neres LS, Pacheco EA, Lourenco Junior JB, et al. Quality of buffalo milk and products produced in Santa Isabel, Para. Acta Vet Bras 2014;8:242-6.
- Zeni O, Sannino A, Romeo S, et al. Induction of an adaptive response in human blood lymphocytes exposed to radiofrequency fields: Influence of the universal mobile telecommunication system (UMTS) signal and the specific absorption rate. Mutat Res 2012;747:29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2012.03.013
- Blowye RW, Edmondson P. Mastits control in dairy herds. 2th ed. London, UK: Cab; 2010.
- Kirk D, Mac Phail A. Social positioning and the construction of a youth sports club. Int Rev Soc Sport, 2003;38:23-44. https://doi.org/10.1177/10126902030381002
- Zecconi A, Casirani G, Binda E, Migliorati L, Piccinini R. Field study on automatic milking system effects on teat tissues conditions and intramammary infection risk. J Vet Med 2006;24:4393-402.
- Differential expression of immune response genes associated with subclinical mastitis in dairy buffaloes pp.1751-732X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118003324