- Volume 30 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Growth and physiological responses of broiler chickens to diets containing raw, full-fat soybean and supplemented with a high-impact microbial protease
- Erdaw, Mammo M. ;
- Wu, Shubiao ;
- Iji, Paul A.
- Received : 2016.09.21
- Accepted : 2017.02.25
- Published : 2017.09.01
Objective: This study evaluated the change and function of the pancreas, and small intestine in relation to growth performance of broilers on diets supplemented with raw soybean meal (RSBM) and protease. Samples of test ingredients and diets, after mixing and prior to being used were also assessed on contents of anti-nutritional factors. Methods: A
Anti-nutritional Factors;Digestive Enzymes of Broilers;Ileal Digestibility;Microbial Protease;Raw Soybean Meal;Pancreas
- Shi SR, Lu J, Tong HR, Zou JM, Wang K. Effects of graded replacement of soybean meal by sunflower seed meal in laying hen diets on hen performance, egg quality, egg fatty acid composition, and cholesterol content. J Appl Poult Res 2012;21:367-74. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2011-00437
- Pettersson D, Pontoppidan K. Soybean meal and the potential for upgrading its feeding value by enzyme supplementation. In: El-shemy A, editor. Soybean - bio-active compounds. Denmark: Novozymes A/S; 2013. p. 288-307.
- Popescu A, Criste R. Using full fat soybean in broiler diets and its effect on the production and economic efficiency of fattening. J Central European Agric 2003;4:167-74.
- Erdaw MM, Bhuiyan MM, Iji PA. Enhancing the nutritional value of soybeans for poultry through supplementation with new-generation feed enzymes. World's Poult Sci J 2016;72:307-22. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933916000271
- Chen Y, Duan W, Wang L, Zhang S, Zhou Y. Efects of thermostable phytase supplementation on the growth performance and nutrient digestibility of broilers. Int J Poult Sci 2013;12:441-4. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2013.441.444
- Erdaw MM, Perez-Maldonado RA, Bhuiyan MM, Iji PA. Physicochemical properties and enzymatic in vitro nutrient digestibility of full-fat soybean meal. J Food Agric Environ 2016;14:85-91.
- Newkirk R. Soybean. Feed industry guide, 1st edition. Winnipeg Canada: Canadian International Grains Institute; 2010. p. 48.
- Dourado LRB, Pascoal LAF, Sakomura NK, Costa FGP, Biagiot TID. Soybeans (Glycine max) and soybean products in poultry and swine nutrition, In: Krezhova, D, editor. Recent trends for enhancing the diversity and quality of soybean products. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; 2011. pp. 175-90.
- Erdaw MM, Perez-Maldonado AR, Bhuiyan M, Iji, PA. Partial replacement of commercial soybean with raw, full-fat soybeans meal and supplemented with varying levels of protease in diets of broiler chickens. South African J Anim Sci 2017;47:61-71. https://doi.org/10.4314/sajas.v47i1.10
- Erdaw MM, Perez-Maldonado AR, Iji PA. Response of broiler chicks to cold- or steam-pelleted diets containing raw, full-fat soybeans meal. J Appl Poult Res 2017;26:260-72.
- Rawlings N, Tolle D, Barrett A. Evolutionary families of peptidase inhibitors. Biochem J 2004;378:705-16. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj20031825
- Ao T. Using exogenous enzymes to increase the nutritional value of soybean meal in poultry diet. In: El-Shemy H, editor. Soybean and nutrition. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; 2011. pp. 201-14.
- Banaszkiewicz T. Nutritional value of soybean meal. In: El-Shemy HA, editor. Soybean and nutrition. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; 2011. pp. 1-20.
- Akande KE, Fabiyi EF. Effect of processing methods on some antinutritional factors in legume seeds for poultry feeding. Int J Poult Sci 2010;9:996-1001. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2010.996.1001
- Caprita R, Caprita A, Cretescu I. Protein solubility as quality index for processed soybean. Scientific Papers Anim Sci Biotechnol 2010;43:375-8.
- Costa FGP, Goulart CC, Figueiredo DF, Oliveira CFS, Silva JHV. Economic and environmental impact of using exogenous enzymes on poultry feeding. Int J Poult Sci 2008;7:311-4. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2008.311.314
- Doskovic V, Bogosavljevic-Boskovic S, Pavlovski Z, et al. Enzymes in broiler diets with special reference to protease. World's Poul Sci J 2013;69:343-60. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933913000342
- Enneking D, Wink M. Towards the elimination of anti-nutritional factors in grain legumes. In: Linking research and marketing opportunities for pulses in the 21st Century. Springer Netherlands; 2000. p. 671-83.
- Barletta A. Introduction: current market and expected developments. In: Bedford MR, Partridg GG, editors. Enzymes in farm animal nutrition. Wallingford, UK: CABI; 2011. pp. 1-11.
- EFSA (European Feed Safety Authority). Safety and efficacy of Ronozyme ProAct (serine protease) for use as feed additive for chickens for fattening. EFSA J 2009;1185:1-15.
- Manual. Ross Broiler Management Manual. ROSS; c2009 [cited Year month day]. Available from :http://www.poultryhub.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Ross_US_Broiler_Manual_09.pdf
- AOAC. Combustion analysis (LECO), Official Int'l Method. 18th ed. Gaithersburg, MD, USA: AOAC International; 2006.
- Araba M, Dale N. Evaluation of protein solubility as an indicator of over processing soybean meal. Poult Sci 1990;69:76-83. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0690076
- AOAC. Acid hydrolysis. Official International Method. 18th ed. Gaithersburg, MD, USA: AOAC International; 2006.
- AOCS. Urease activity, Soybeans- Chemistry and technology. Official International Method. 18th Editon. Champaign, IL: AOAC International; 2006.
- AOCS. Analysis of Amino acid in Animal Feed using Combustion method. Official Int'l Method 982.30 E (a). Arlington, VA, USA: AOAC International; 2006.
- Short FJ, Gorton P, Wiseman J, Boorman KN. Determination of titanium dioxide added as an inert marker in chicken digestibility studies. Anim Feed Sci Technol 1996;59:215-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00916-7
- Susbilla JPI, Tarvid CB, Frankel TI. Quantitative feed restriction or meal-feeding of broiler chicks alter functional development of enzymes for protein digestion. Br Poult Sci 2003;44:698-709. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660310001643679
- Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Leon T, Garrido G, Castaneda D, de Rueda AE. Early feeding to modify digestive enzyme activity in broiler chickens. Revista MVZ Cordoba 2014;19:4316-27. https://doi.org/10.21897/rmvz.93
- Winkler UK, Tuckmann M. Glycogen, hyaluronate, and some other polysaccharides greatly enhance the formation of exolipase by Serratia marcescens. J Bacteriol 1979;138:663-70.
- Forstner GG, Sabesin SM, Isselbacher KJ. Rat Intestinal Microvillus Membranes-purification and Biochemical Characterization. Biochem J 1968;106:381-90. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1060381
- Holdsworth ES. The effect of vitamin D on enzyme activities in the mucosal cells of the chick small intestine. J Membr Biol 1970;3:43-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01868005
- Iji PA, Saki A, Tivey DR. Body and intestinal growth of broiler chicks on a commercial starter diet. 2. Development and characteristics of intestinal enzymes. Br Poult Sci 2001;42:514-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660120073142
- Iji PA, Saki A, Tivey DR. Body and intestinal growth of broiler chicks on a commercial starter diet. Br Poult Sci 2001;42:505-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660120073151
- Minitab 17 Statistical Software. [Computer software]. State College, PA, USA: Minitab, Inc.; 2013.
- Frikha M, Serrano MP, Valencia DG, et al. Correlation between ileal digestibility of amino acids and chemical composition of soybean meals in broilers at 21 days of age. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2012;178:103-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2012.09.002
- ASA (American Soyabean Association). Whole soybeans in diets for poultry. c2004. [cited 2016 Feb]: Available from http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/194/whole-soybeans-in-diets-for-poultry
- Palacios M, Easter R, Soltwedel K, et al. Effect of soybean variety and processing on growth performance of young chicks and pigs. J Anim Sci 2004; 82:1108-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/ansci/82.4.1108
- Yadav J, Sah R. Supplementation of corn-soybean based broiler's diets with different levels of acid protease. J Inst Agric Anim Sci 2005;26:65-70.
- Mirghelenj SA, Golian A, Kermanshahi H, Raji AR. Nutritional value of wet extruded full-fat soybean and its effects on broiler chicken performance. J Appl Poult Res 2013;22:410-22. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2012-00602
- Marsman GJ, Gruppen H, Van der Poel AF, et al. The effect of thermal processing and enzyme treatments of soybean meal on growth performance, ileal nutrient digestibilities, and chyme characteristics in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 1997;76:864-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.6.864
- de Coca-Sinova A, Valencia DG, Jimenez-Moreno E, Lazaro R, Mateos GG. Apparent ileal digestibility of energy, N, and amino acids of soybean meals of different origin in broilers. Poult Sci 2008;87:2613-23.
- Yuan J, Yao J, Yang F, et al. Effects of supplementing different levels of a commercial enzyme complex on performance, nutrient availability, enzyme activity and gut morphology of broilers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2008;21:692-700. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70375
- Physiological and health-related response of broiler chickens fed diets containing raw, full-fat soya bean meal supplemented with microbial protease pp.09312439, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12785
- Supplementation of broiler diets with high levels of microbial protease and phytase enables partial replacement of commercial soybean meal with raw, full-fat soybean vol.102, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12876
- Anti-nutrients Reduce Poultry Productivity: Influence of Trypsin Inhibitors on Pancreas vol.12, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajpsaj.2018.14.24
- Effects of protease and phytase supplements on small intestinal microbiota and amino acid digestibility in broiler chickens pp.1525-3171, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pez038
Supported by : University of New England