- Volume 30 Issue 9
Objective: Purpose was to determine the effects of grazing system and floor type on concentrations of blood metabolites, activity of creatine kinase, body weight and carcass characteristics of castrated Nguni goats. Methods: Forty eight, 7 month old goats were randomly allocated to herding and tethering treatments from 0800 to 1300 hours and accommodated on slatted and earth floors daily. Blood samples were collected by jugular venipuncture every fifteenth day for metabolite analysis. Slaughter was done at a commercial abattoir following 5 months of monitoring. Results: Tethered goats had significantly higher concentrations of urea (5.19 mmol/L) (p<0.001), creatinine (
Blood Biochemistry;Floor Type;Grazing System;Goat
- Moniruzzaman M, Hashem MA, Akhters S, Hossain MM. Effect of different feeding systems on carcass and non-carcass parameters of Black Bengal goats. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2002;15:61-5. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.61
- Chikwanda AT, Mutisi C, Sibanda S, et al. The effect of housing and anthelmintic treatment on pre-weaning kid death rate and infestation with gastrointestinal helminthes. Appl Anim Husb Rural Dev 2013;6:32-5.
- Damptey JK, Obese FY, Aboagye GS, Ayim-Akonor M, Ayizanga RA. Blood metabolite concentrations and postpartum resumption of ovarian cyclicity in Sanga cows. S Afr J Anim Sci 2014;44:10-7. https://doi.org/10.4314/sajas.v44i1.2
- Chimonyo M, Kusina NT, Hamudikuwanda H, Ncube I. Changes in stress related plasma metabolite concentrations in working Mashona cows on dietary supplementation. Livest Prod Sci 2002;73:165-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00252-4
- Olafadehan OA. Changes in haematological and biochemical diagnostic parameters of Red Sokoto goats fed tannin- rich. Pterocarpus erinaceus forage diets. Vet Arh 2011;81:471-83.
- Pambu- Gollah R, Cronje PB, Casey NH. An evaluation of the use of blood metabolite concentrations as indicators of nutritional status in free ranging indigenous goats. S Afr J Anim Sci 2000;30:115-20.
- Ndlovu T, Chimonyo M, Okoh AI, et al. A comparison of nutritionally related blood metabolites among Nguni, Bonsmara and Angus steers raised on sweet-veld. Vet J 2009;179:273-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2007.09.007
- Mapiye C, Chimonyo M, Dzama K, Marufu MC. Protein status of indigenous Nguni and crossbred cattle in the semi- arid rangelands in South Africa. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2010;23:213-25.
- Acocks JPH. Veld types of South Africa. 3rd ed. Mem Bot Surv S Afr 1988;57:1-146.
- National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of domestic animals. Nutrient requirements of goats: Angora and meat goats in temperate and tropical countries. 15th ed. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 1981.
- Gochman N, Schmitz JM. Application of a new peroxidase indicator reaction to the specific, automated determination of glucose with glucose oxidase. Clin Chem 1972;18:943-50.
- Tietz NW. Clinical guide to laboratory tests. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co.; 1995.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AI, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-75.
- Pinnell AE, Northam BE. New automated dye-binding methods for serum albumin determination with bromcresol purple. Clin Chem 1978;24:80-6.
- Horder M, Elsr RC, Gerhardt W, Mathieu M, Sampson EJ. Approved recommendation on IFCC methods for the measurement of catalytic concentration of enzymes. Part 7, IFCC method for creatine kinase. Eur J Clin Chem Biochem 1991;29:435-56.
- Koyuncu M, Altincetic SO. Importance of body condition score in dairy goats. Maced J Anim Sci 2013;3:167-73.
- Sebsibe A, Casey NH, van Niekerk WA, Tegegne A, Coertze RJ. Growth performance and carcass characteristics of three ethiopian goat breeds fed grainless diets varying in concentrate to roughage ratios. S Afr J Anim Sci 2007;37:221-32.
- SAS. Statistical analysis system user's guide. 5th ed. Version 6, Raleigh, NC: SAS Inst. Incl., 2003.
- Kaneko JJ, Harvey JWM, Bruss L. Clinical biochemistry of domestic animals. 6th ed. Burlington, MA: Academic Press; 2008.
- Vojtic I. Macro ck type 1 as a major component of serum creatine kinase activity in pregnant sheep. Small Rumin Res 2000;35:249-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00093-0
- Chulayo AY, Muchenje V. Effect of pre-slaughter conditions on physico-chemical characteristics of mutton from sheep breeds slaughtered at a smallholder rural abattoir. S Afr J Anim Sci 2013;43:64-98.
- Dieni CA, Storey KB. Creatine kinase regulation by reversible phosphorylation in frog muscle. Comp Biochem Physiol (Part B) 2009;152:405-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2009.01.012
- Rumosa Gwaze F, Chimonyo M, Dzama K. Relationships between nutritionally- related blood metabolites and gastrointestinal parasites in nguni goats of South Africa. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2010;23:1190-7. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90547
- Nonaka I, Takusari N, Tajima K, et al. Effects of high environmental temperatures on physiological and nutritional status of pre-pubertal Holstein heifers. Livest Sci 2008;113:14-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.02.010
- Nuttall FQ, Gannon MC. Dietary protein and the blood glucose concentration. Diabetes 2013;62:1371-2. https://doi.org/10.2337/db12-1829
- Solaiman S, Thomas J, Dupre Y, et al. Haenlein effect of feeding Sericea Lespedeza (lespedeza cuneate) on growth performance, blood metabolites and carcass characteristics of Kiko crossbred male kids. Small Rumin Res 2010;93:149-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2010.05.015
- Soji Z, Chikwanda D, Chikwanda AT, et al. Relevance of the formal red meat classification to the South African informal livestock sector. S Afr J Anim Sci 2015;45:263-77.
- Webb EC, Casey NH, Simela L. Goat meat quality. Small Rumin Res 2005;60:153-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.009
- Simela L, Webb EC, Bosman MJC. Live animal and carcass characteristics of South African indigenous goats. S Afr J Anim Sci 2011;41:1-15.
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)