- Volume 30 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Variance components estimation for farrowing traits of three purebred pigs in Korea
- Lopez, Bryan Irvine ;
- Kim, Tae Hun ;
- Makumbe, Milton Tinashe ;
- Song, Chol Won ;
- Seo, Kang Seok
- Received : 2017.01.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.15
- Published : 2017.09.01
Objective: This study was conducted to estimate breed-specific variance components for total number born (TNB), number born alive (NBA) and mortality rate from birth through weaning including stillbirths (MORT) of three main swine breeds in Korea. In addition, the importance of including maternal genetic and service sire effects in estimation models was evaluated. Methods: Records of farrowing traits from 6,412 Duroc, 18,020 Landrace, and 54,254 Yorkshire sows collected from January 2001 to September 2016 from different farms in Korea were used in the analysis. Animal models and the restricted maximum likelihood method were used to estimate variances in animal genetic, permanent environmental, maternal genetic, service sire and residuals. Results: The heritability estimates ranged from 0.072 to 0.102, 0.090 to 0.099, and 0.109 to 0.121 for TNB; 0.087 to 0.110, 0.088 to 0.100, and 0.099 to 0.107 for NBA; and 0.027 to 0.031, 0.050 to 0.053, and 0.073 to 0.081 for MORT in the Duroc, Landrace and Yorkshire breeds, respectively. The proportion of the total variation due to permanent environmental effects, maternal genetic effects, and service sire effects ranged from 0.042 to 0.088, 0.001 to 0.031, and 0.001 to 0.021, respectively. Spearman rank correlations among models ranged from 0.98 to 0.99, demonstrating that the maternal genetic and service sire effects have small effects on the precision of the breeding value. Conclusion: Models that include additive genetic and permanent environmental effects are suitable for farrowing traits in Duroc, Landrace, and Yorkshire populations in Korea. This breed-specific variance components estimates for litter traits can be utilized for pig improvement programs in Korea.
Variance Components;Farrowing Traits;Purebred Pigs
- Lundgren H, Fikse WF, Grandinson K, et al. Genetic parameters for feed intake, litter weight, body condition and rebreeding success in primiparous Norwegian Landrace sows. Animal 2014;8:175-83. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731113002000
- Chen P, Baas TJ, Mabry JW, Koehler KJ, Dekkers JCM. Genetic parameters and trends for litter traits in U.S. Yorkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, and Landrace pigs. J Anim Sci 2003;81:46-53. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.81146x
- Thompson R. Estimation of quantitative genetic parameters. Proc R Soc Lond B: Biol Sci 2008;275:679-86. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2007.1417
- Akanno EC, Schenkel FS, Quinton VM, Friendship RM, Robinson JAB. Meta-analysis of genetic parameter estimates for reproduction, growth and carcass traits of pigs in the tropics. Livest Sci 2013;152:101-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.07.021
- Schneider JF, Rempel LA, Rohrer GA. Genome-wide association study of swine farrowing traits. Part I: Genetic and genomic parameter estimates. J Anim Sci 2012;90:3353-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4729
- Cavalcante Neto A, Lui JF, Sarmento JLR, et al. Estimation models of variance components for farrowing interval in swine. Braz Arch Biol Technol 2009;52:69-76.
- Kim B, Kim S, Lee I, et al. Estimation of direct and service sire genetic parameters for reproductive traits in Yorkshire. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2002;15:1232-6. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1232
- Wolf J, Wolfova M. Effect of service sire on litter size traits in Czech Large White and Landrace pigs. Czech J Anim Sci 2012;57:220-30. https://doi.org/10.17221/5920-CJAS
- Meyer K. WOMBAT-A tool for mixed model analyses in quantitative genetics by restricted maximum likelihood (REML). J Zhejiang Univ-Sc B 2007;8:815-21. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.2007.B0815
- Guo X, Christensen OF, Ostersen T, et al. Improving genetic evaluation of litter size and piglet mortality for both genotyped and nongenotyped individuals using a single-step method. J Anim Sci 2015;93:503-12. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8331
- Putz AM, Tiezzi F, Maltecca C, Gray KA, Knauer MT. Variance component estimates for alternative litter size traits in swine. J Anim Sci 2015;93:5153-63. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9416
- NSIF. Guidelines for Uniform Swine Improvement Programs. Washington DC: USDA; 1997.
- Hermesch S, Luxford B, Graser H. Genetic parameters for piglet mortality, within litter variation of birth weight, litter size and litter birth weight. Proc Assoc Advmt Anim Breed Genet. 2001;14:211-4.
- Irgang R, Favero JA, Kennedy BW. Genetic parameters for litter size of different parities in Duroc, Landrace, and Large White sows. J Anim Sci 1994;72:2237-46. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7292237x
- Rydhmer L, Lundeheim N, Canario L. Genetic correlations between gestation length, piglet survival and early growth. Livest Sci 2008;115:287-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.08.014
- Crump R, Haley C, Thompson R, Mercer J. Individual animal model estimates of genetic parameters for reproduction traits of Landrace pigs performance tested in a commercial nucleus herd. Anim Sci 1997;65:285-90. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800016593
- Lewis T, Wiseman J, Woolliams J. Genotype by mating type interaction for litter size in Landrace and Large White sows. Anim Sci 2005;81:331-5.
- Hanenberg EHAT, Knol EF, Merks JWM. Estimates of genetic parameters for reproduction traits at different parities in Dutch Landrace pigs. Livest Prod Sci 2001;69:179-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00258-X
- Kaufmann D, Hofer A, Bidanel JP, Kunzi N. Genetic parameters for individual birth and weaning weight and for litter size of Large White pigs. J Anim Breed Genet 2000;117:121-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.2000.00238.x
- Haley C, Lee G. Genetic factors contributing to variation in littersize in British Large White gilts. Livest Prod Sci 1992;30:99-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(05)80023-5
- Ferraz JB, Johnson RK. Animal model estimation of genetic parameters and response to selection for litter size and weight, growth, and backfat in closed seedstock populations of Large White and Landrace swine. J Anim Sci 1993;71:850-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.714850x
- Reproductive Performance of a New GF24 Female Gilt Line Reared under Different Conditions in Vietnam vol.12, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajas.2018.23.29
- Genetic parameters and trends for production traits and their relationship with litter traits in Landrace and Yorkshire pigs vol.89, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13090
- Estimation of genetic parameters for farrowing traits in purebred Landrace and Large White pigs pp.13443941, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13120
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF), Rural Development Administration (RDA) and Korea Forest Service (KFS)