- Volume 30 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Estimation of methane emissions from local and crossbreed beef cattle in Daklak province of Vietnam
- Ramirez-Restrepo, Carlos Alberto (CSIRO Agriculture, Australian Tropical Sciences and Innovation Precinct, James Cook University) ;
- Van Tien, Dung (Tay Nguyen University) ;
- Le Duc, Ngoan (Hue University of Agriculture & Forestry, Hue University) ;
- Herrero, Mario (CSIRO Agriculture, Australian Tropical Sciences and Innovation Precinct, James Cook University) ;
- Le Dinh, Phung (Hue University of Agriculture & Forestry, Hue University) ;
- Van, Dung Dinh (Hue University of Agriculture & Forestry, Hue University) ;
- Le Thi Hoa, Sen (Hue University of Agriculture & Forestry, Hue University) ;
- Chi, Cuong Vu (National Institute of Animal Sciences) ;
- Solano-Patino, Cesar (Universidad Tecnica Nacional, Atenas Campus) ;
- Lerner, Amy M. (Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy Princeton University) ;
- Searchinger, Timothy D. (Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy Princeton University)
- Received : 2016.10.20
- Accepted : 2017.02.21
- Published : 2017.07.01
Objective: This study was aimed at evaluating effects of cattle breed resources and alternative mixed-feeding practices on meat productivity and emission intensities from household farming systems (HFS) in Daklak Province, Vietnam. Methods: Records from Local
Supported by : Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD), Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Hallegatte S, Mook B, Bonzanigo L, et al. Shock Waves: managing the impacts of climate change on poverty. Washington, DC: World Bank; 2016.
- FAO. Tackling climate change through livestock: a global assessment of emissions and mitigation opportunities. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 2013.
- Havlik P, Valin H, Gusti M, et al. Climate change impacts and mitigation in the developing world: an integrated assessment of agriculture and forestry sectors. Policy Research Working Paper 7477 prepared for Shock Waves: managing the impacts of climate change on poverty. Climate Change and Development Series. Washington, DC: World Bank; 2015.
- Herrero M, Thornton PK. Livestock acnd global change: emerging issues for suistainable food systems. Proc Natl Acad Soc 2013;110: 20878-81. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1321844111
- Herrero M, Thornton PK, Notenbaert A, et al. Drivers of change in crop-livestock systems and their potential impacts on agro-ecosystems services and human wellbeing to 2030. Nairobi, Kenya: ILRI; 2012.
- Herrero M, Havlik P, Valin H, et al. Biomass use, production, feed efficiencies, and greenhouse gas emissions from global livestock systems Proc Natl Acad Soc 2013;110:20888-93. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1308149110
- Ramirez-Restrepo CA, Charmley E. An integrated mitigation potential framework to assist sustainable extensive beef production in the tropics. In: Ghosh PK, Mahanta SK, Singh JB, Pathak PS, editors. Grassland: a global resource perspective. Jhansi, India: Range Management Society of India; 2015. p. 417-36.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development [Internet]. Agricultural census data 2015 [cited 2015 May 3rd]. Available from: http://www.mard.gov.vn/en/Pages/default.aspx
- DakLak Provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. Narrative report in 2010 and development orientations in 2011. Buon Ma Thout, Vietnam; 2010.
- MDG-F. Integrated nutrition and food security strategies for children and vulnerable groups in Vietnam. Final Millennium Development Goals Achievement Fund joint programme narrative report. New York: The Millennium Development Goals Achievement Fund (MDG-F);2013.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Decision 3119/QDBNN-KHCN on approving the program on GHG emissions reduction in Agriculture and Rural Development sector up to 2020. Hanoi, Vietnam; 2011.
- Van Tien D. Growth performance, meat production of Lai Sind cattle and crossbred 1/2 Drought Master, 1/2 Red Angus, 1/2 Limousin kept in Ea Kar district. DakLak Province, Vietnam [Ph.D.]: Institute of Animal Science; 2011.
- Kebreab E, Johnson KA, Archibeque SL, Pape D, Wirth T. Model for estimating enteric methane emissions from United States dairy and feed lot cattle. J Anim Sci 2008;86:2738-48. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0960
- Le Dinh P, Ramirez-Restrepo CA, Le Duc N, et al. Productivity and mitigation effects of alternative feeding practices in smallholder dairy farms in the north of Vietnam. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Global Science Conference on Climate-Smart Agriculture Towards Climatesmart solutions; 2015; Montpellier, France. p. 176.
- Le Duc N, Dinh Van D, Le Dinh P, et al. Study on enteric methane emission from smallholder semi-intensive beef cattle production system in the Red River Delta. A case study in Dong Anh Distric, Hanoi. Sci Technol J Agric Rural Dev 2015;7:70-9.
- Kittelmann S, Jansen PH. Characterization of rumen ciliate community composition in domestic sheep, deer, and cattle, feeding on varying diets, by means of PCR-DGGE and clone libraries FEMS Microbiol Ecol 2011;75:468-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2010.01022.x
- Ramirez-Restrepo CA, O'Neill CJ, Lopez-Villalobos N, et al. Effects of tea seed saponin supplementation on physiological changes associated with blood methane concentration in tropical Brahman cattle. Anim Prod Sci 2016;56:457-65. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15582
- Le Dinh P, Le Duc N, Dinh Van D, et al. Study on enteric methane emission from smallholder dairy farm in the north of Vietnam: A case study in smallholder dairy farm in Bavi, Hanoi. Sci Technol J Agric Rural Dev 2015;9:64-72.
- Herrero M, Thorton P, Kuska R, Reid RS. Systems dynamics and the spatial contribution of methane emissions from Africa domestic ruminants to 2030. Agric Ecosyst Environ 2008;126:122-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2008.01.017
- Shikuku KM, Valdivia RO, Paul BK, et al. Prioritizing climate-smart livestock technologies in rural Tanzania: A minimum data approach. Agric Syst 2016;151:204-16.
- Williams PG. Nutritional composition of read meat. Nutr Diet 2007; 64(Suppl 4):S113-S9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-0080.2007.00197.x
- Ramirez-Restrepo CA, O'Neill CJ, Lopez-Villalobos N, Padmanabha J, McSweeney C. Tropical cattle methane emissions: the role of natural statins supplementation. Anim Prod Sci 2014;54:1294-9.
- Herrero M, Wirsenius S, Henderson B, et al. Livestock and the environment: What have we learned in the past decade Ann Rev Environ Resour 2015;40:177-202. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-environ-031113-093503
Waritthitham A, Lambertz C, Langholz JH, Wicke M, Gauly M. Assessment of beef production from Brahman
$\times$Thai native and Charolais $\times$Thai native crossbred bulls slaughtered at different weights. I: Growth performance and carcass quality. Meat Sci 2010;85:191-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.12.024
Waritthitham A, Lambertz C, Langholz J-H, Wicke M, Gauly M. Assessment of beef production from Brahman
$\times$Thai native and Charolais $\times$Thai native crossbred bulls slaughtered at different weights. II: Meat quality. Meat Sci 2010;85:196-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.12.025
- Hammond KJ, Muetzel S, Waghorn GC, et al. The variation in methane emissions from sheep and cattle is not explained by the chemical composition of ryegrass. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 2009;69:174-8.
- McAllister TA, Newbold CJ. Redirecting rumen fermentation to reduce methanogenesis. Aust J Exp Agric 2008;48:7-13. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA07218
- Methane, Nitrous Oxide and Ammonia Emissions from Livestock Farming in the Red River Delta, Vietnam: An Inventory and Projection for 2000–2030 vol.10, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/su10103826
- Bodyweight performance, estimated carcass traits and methane emissions of beef-cattle categories grazing Andropogon gayanus, Melinis minutiflora and Stylosanthes capitata mixed swards and Brachiaria humidicola pasture vol.59, pp.4, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN17624