- Volume 30 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Impacts of post-mortem ageing prior to freezing on technological and oxidative properties of coarse ground lamb sausage in a model system
- Choe, Juhui (AgResearch Ltd., Ruakura Research Centre) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Wook (Meat Science and Muscle Biology Lab, Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University) ;
- Farouk, Mustafa M. (AgResearch Ltd., Ruakura Research Centre) ;
- Kim, Yuan H. Brad (AgResearch Ltd., Ruakura Research Centre)
- Received : 2016.10.11
- Accepted : 2017.01.16
- Published : 2017.07.01
Objective: The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of ageing time of lamb loins prior to freezing on technological characteristics and oxidation stability of coarse ground lamb loin sausage using in a model system. Methods: Lamb loins (M. longissimus lumborum, n = 25) were aged at
Supported by : AgResearch
- Kim YHB, Kemp R, Samuelsson LM. Effects of dry-aging on meat quality attributes and metabolite profiles of beef loins. Meat Sci 2016; 111:168-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.09.008
- Choe JH, Stuart A, Kim YHB. Effect of different aging temperatures prior to freezing on meat quality attributes of frozen/thawed lamb loins. Meat Sci 2016;116:158-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.02.014
- Farouk MM, Wiklund E, Stuart A, Dobbie P. Ageing prior to freezing improves waterholding capacity in beef venison. In: Proceeding of 55th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology 2009, 2009 Aug 16-Aug 21; Copenhagen, Denmark: International Congress of Meat Science and Technology; 2009. pp. 781-5.
- Kim YHB, Frandsen M, Rosenvold K. Effect of ageing prior to freezing on colour stability of ovine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci 2011;88: 332-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.12.020
- Kim YHB, Luc G, Rosenvold K. Pre rigor processing, ageing and freezing on tenderness and colour stability of lamb loins. Meat Sci 2013;95:412-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.05.017
- Kim YHB, Liesse C, Kemp R, Balan P. Evaluation of combined effects of ageing period and freezing rate on quality attributes of beef loins. Meat Sci 2015;110:40-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.06.015
- Wiklund E, Farouk MM, Stuart A, et al. Brief communication: quality of chilled-never-frozen versus chilled-frozen/thawed lamb. In: Proceeding of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production 2009, 2009 Aug; Christchurch, New Zealand: New Zealand Society of Animal Production; 2009. pp. 1-3.
- Farouk MM, Wieliczko KJ. Optimum time for using chilled beef in gelled products. J Food Sci 2003;68:164-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb14134.x
- Acton JC, Ziegler GR, Burge Jr DL, Froning GW. Functionality of muscle constituents in the processing of comminuted meat products. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 1983;18:99-121. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398209527360
- Xia X, Kong B, Xiong Y, Ren Y. Decreased gelling and emulsifying properties of myofibrillar protein from repeatedly frozen-thawed porcine longissimus muscle are due to protein denaturation and susceptibility to aggregation. Meat Sci 2010;85:481-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.02.019
- Leygonie C, Britz TJ, Hoffman LC. Impact of freezing and thawing on the quality of meat: review. Meat Sci 2012;91:93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.01.013
- Farouk MM, Swan JE. Effect of rigor temperature and frozen storage on functional properties of hot-boned manufacturing beef. Meat Sci 1998;49:233-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00134-4
- Bergmeyer HU. Methods of enzymatic analysis. New York: Academic Press, Inc.; 1965.
- Pearce KN, Kinsella JE. Emulsifying properties of proteins: evaluation of a turbidimetric technique. J Agric Food Chem 1978;26:716-23. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60217a041
- Jauregui CA, Regenstein JN, Baker RC. A simple centrifugal method for measuring expressible moisture, a water binding property of muscle foods. J Food Sci 1981;46:1271-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb03038.x
- Bourne MC. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol 1978;32:62-72.
- AMSA. Meat color measurement guidelines. Champaign, IL: Am Meat Science Association; 2012.
- Buege JA, Aust SD. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol 1978;52:302-10.
- Lan YH, Novakofski J, Carr TR, McKeith FK. Assay and storage conditions affect yield of salt soluble protein from muscle. J Food Sci 1993; 58:963-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb06089.x
- Miller AJ, Ackerman SA, Palumbo SA. Effects of frozen storage on functionality of meat for processing. J Food Sci 1980;45:1466-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07541.x
- Jimenez Colmenero F, Borderias AJ. A study of the effects of frozen storage on certain functional properties of meat and fish protein. Int J Food Sci Technol 1983;18:731-7.
- Zhnag SX, Farouk MM, Young OA, Wieliczko KJ, Rodmore C. Functional stability of frozen normal and high pH beef. Meat Sci 2005; 69:765-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.11.009
- Gordon A, Barbut S, Schmidt, G. Mechanisms of meat batter stabilization: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 1992;32:299-332. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399209527602
- Herrero AM, De La Hoz L, Ordonez JA, et al. Tensile properties of cooked meat sausages and their correlation with texture profile analysis (TPA) parameters and physico-chemical characteristics. Meat Sci 2008;80:690-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.03.008
- Gordon A, Barbut S. The effect of chloride salts on the texture, microstructure and stability of meat batters. Food Microstruct 1989;8: 271-83.
- King NJ, Whyte, R. Dose it look cooked? A review of factors that influence cooked meat color. J Food Sci 2006;71:R31-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00029.x
- Hansen E, Juncher D, Henckel P, et al. Oxidative stability of chilled pork chops following long term freeze storage. Meat Sci 2004;68: 479-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.05.002
- Ismail, HA, Lee EJ, Ko KY, Ahn DU. Effects of aging time and natural antioxidants on the color, lipid oxidation and volatiles of irradiated ground beef. Meat Sci 2008;80:582-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.02.007
- Arihara K, Ohata M. Bioactive compounds in meat. In: Toldra F, editor. Meat biotechnology. New York: Springer; 2008. p. 231-52.