- Volume 30 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Accuracy of genomic breeding value prediction for intramuscular fat using different genomic relationship matrices in Hanwoo (Korean cattle)
- Choi, Taejeong ;
- Lim, Dajeong ;
- Park, Byoungho ;
- Sharma, Aditi ;
- Kim, Jong-Joo ;
- Kim, Sidong ;
- Lee, Seung Hwan
- Received : 2015.11.27
- Accepted : 2016.06.18
- Published : 2017.07.01
Objective: Intramuscular fat is one of the meat quality traits that is considered in the selection strategies for Hanwoo (Korean cattle). Different methods are used to estimate the breeding value of selection candidates. In the present work we focused on accuracy of different genotype relationship matrices as described by forni and pedigree based relationship matrix. Methods: The data set included a total of 778 animals that were genotyped for BovineSNP50 BeadChip. Among these 778 animals, 72 animals were sires for 706 reference animals and were used as a validation dataset. Single trait animal model (best linear unbiased prediction and genomic best linear unbiased prediction) was used to estimate the breeding values from genomic and pedigree information. Results: The diagonal elements for the pedigree based coefficients were slightly higher for the genomic relationship matrices (GRM) based coefficients while off diagonal elements were considerably low for GRM based coefficients. The accuracy of breeding value for the pedigree based relationship matrix (A) was 13% while for GRM (GOF, G05, and Yang) it was 0.37, 0.45, and 0.38, respectively. Conclusion: Accuracy of GRM was 1.5 times higher than A in this study. Therefore, genomic information will be more beneficial than pedigree information in the Hanwoo breeding program.
Intramuscular Fat;Genomic Relationship Matrix;Genomic Selection
- Meuwissen THE, Hayes BJ, Goddard ME. Prediction of total genetic value using genome-wide dense marker maps. Genetics 2001;157: 1819-29.
- Daetwyler HD, Pong-Wong R, Villanueva B, Woolliams JA. The impact of genetic architecture on genome-wide evaluation methods. Genetics 2010;185:1021-31. https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.110.116855
- VanRaden PM. Efficient methods to compute genomic predictions. J Dairy Sci 2008;91:4414-23. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0980
- VanRaden PM, Van Tassell CP, Wiggans GR, et al. Invited review: reliability of genomic predictions for North American Holstein bulls. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:16-24. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1514
- Goddard ME. Genomic selection: prediction of accuracy and maximisation of long term response. Genetica 2008;136:245-57.
- Daetwyler HD, Villanueva B, Woolliams JA. Accuracy of predicting the genetic risk of disease using a genome-wide approach. PLoS ONE 2008;3:e3395. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0003395
- Scheet P, Stephens M. A fast and flexible statistical model for largescale population genotype data: applications to inferring missing genotypes and haplotypic phase. Am J Hum Genet 2006;78:629-44. https://doi.org/10.1086/502802
- Forni S, Aguilar I, Misztal I. Different genomic relationship matrices for single-step analysis using phenotypic, pedigree and genomic information. Genet Sel Evol 2011;43:1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-43-1
- Yang J, Benyamin B, McEvoy BP, et al. Commom SNPs explain a large proportion of the heritability for human height. Nat Genet 2010;42: 565-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.608
- Habier D, Fernando RL, Dekkers JCM. The impact of genetic relationship information on genome-assisted breeding values. Genetics 2007;177:2389-97.
- Gilmour AR, Gogel BJ, Cullis BR, Welham SJ, Thompson R. ASReml User Guide Release 4.0. Hemel Hempstead, UK: VSN International Ltd., 2015.
- Goddard ME. Genomic selection: Prediction of accuracy and maximisation of long term response. Genetica 2009;136:245-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10709-008-9308-0
- Li Y, Kim JJ. Effective population size and signatures of selection using Bovine 50K SNP chips in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Evol Bioinfom Online 2015; 11:143-53.
- Bolormaa S, Hayes BJ, Savin K, et al. Genome-wide association studies for feedlot and growth traits in cattle. J Anim Sci 2011;89:1684-97. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3079
- Park BH, Choi TJ, Kim S, Oh SH. National genetic evaluation of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle). Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2013; 26:151-6. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12439
- Imputation from SNP chip to sequence: a case study in a Chinese indigenous chicken population vol.9, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-018-0241-5
- Accuracy of genomic selection predictions for hip height in Brahman cattle using different relationship matrices vol.53, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-204x2018000600008
Supported by : RDA, Chungnam National University