- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis on Temperature Profiles upon High Speed Impact of Reactive Structural Materials
반응성구조체의 고속충돌에 따른 온도분포 분석
- Jung, Sang-Hyun (The 4th Research and Development Institute, Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Cho, Soo Gyeong (The 4th Research and Development Institute, Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Bae, Gwang Tae (The 4th Research and Development Institute, Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Lee, Kibong (The 4th Research and Development Institute, Agency for Defense Development)
- Received : 2017.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.09.22
- Published : 2017.10.05
The temperature profiles upon high speed impact of reactive structural materials were analyzed. A two color pyrometer, which included high-speed camera, spectral splitter, and band pass filters, was utilized to measure transient temperature profiles during and after reactive metal samples impacted into steel plate with velocities of 1600~1700 m/s. The spatial temperature distribution was analyzed from the ratio of spectral radiances at two different wavelength in infrared zone, i.e. 700 and 900 nm. The measured temperatures were calibrated with black body source. Two different types of metal samples, namely aluminum and nickel, were employed to understand reaction behavior upon the impact of samples in ambient condition. According to our experiments, the Ni sample appeared to barely react with ambient air producing an instant small fireball, while Al sample reacts violently with air generating a relatively prolong fireball.
- S. G. Cho, D.-I. Cheong, E. M. Goh, and J. H. Chung, "Technical Review on Reactive Structural Materials," Defense Science & Technology Plus, Vol. 165, pp. 1-11, 2012.
- R. M. Lioyd, "Conventional Warhead Systems. Physics and Engineering Design," American Institute of Aeronautics and Atronautics, Vambridge, USA, 1998, Chapter 6.
- "Advanced Energetic Materials," National Research Council of the National Academies, National Academies Press, Washington D.C., USA, 2004, Chapter 4.
- B. E. Homan, K. L. McNesby, J. Ritter, J. Colburn, and Andrew Brant, "Characterization of the Combustion Behavior of Aluminum-Nickel Based Reactive Materials," ARL-TR-5125, Army Research Laboratory, 2009.
- R. V. Reeves, A. S. Mukasyan, and S. F. Son, "Thermal and Impact Reaction Initiation in Ni/Al Heterogeneous Reactive Systems," J. Phys. Chem. C, Vol. 114, pp. 14772-14780, 2010.
- H. F. Wang, Y. F. Zheng, Q. B. Yu, Z. W. Liu, and W. M. Yu, "Impact-induced Initiation and Energy Release Behavior of Reactive Materials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 110, pp. 074904-1-074904-6, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3644974
- J. M. Densmore, M. M. Biss, B. E. Homan, and K. L. McNesby, "Thermal Imaging of Nickelaluminum and Aluminum-polytetrafluoroethylene Impact Initiated Combustion," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 112, pp. 084911-1-084911-5, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4762009
- X. R. Zhang, A. S. Shi, L. Qiao, J. Zhang, Y. G. Zhang, and Z. W. Guan, "Experimental Study on Impact-initiated Characters of Multifunctional Energetic Structural Materials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 113, pp. 083508-1-083508-10, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4793281
- E. L. Dreizin, "Metal-based Reactive Nanomaterials," Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., Vol. 35, pp. 141-157, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2008.09.001
- J. J. Ritter, A. L. Brant, J. W. Colburn, B. E. Homan and K. L. McNesby, "Characterization Techniques Employed to Determine the Energy Release of Reactive Materials," ARL-TR-5125, Army Research Laboratory, 2010.
- L. Michalski, K. Eckersdorf and J. McGhee, "Temperature Measurement," John Wiley & Sons, Chichest, England, Chapter 7, 1991.
- P. R. N. Childs, "Practical Temperature Measurement," Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, Great Britain, Chapter 9, 2001.
- S. Goroshin, D. F. Frost, J. Levine, A. Yoshinaka and F. Zhang, "Optical Pyrometry of Fireballs of Metallized Explosives," Propel. Explos. Pyrotech. Vol. 31, pp. 169-181, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/prep.200600024
- K. L. McNesby, B. E. Homan, R. A. Benjamin, V. M. Boyle, J. M. Densmore and M. M. Biss, "Invited Article: Quantitative Imaging of Explosions with High-speed Cameras," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 87, pp. 051301-1-051301-14, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4949520
- J. M. Densmore, B. E. Homan, M. M. Biss, and K. L. McNesby, "High-speed Two-camera Imaging Pyrometer for Mapping Fireball Temperatures," Appl. Opts., Vol. 50, pp. 6267-6271, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.50.006267
- Vision Research, "v7.3 Spectral Response," http://www.visionresearch.com/uploads/Docs/SpectralResponse/V7.3SensorSpectralResponse.pdf.
- D. R. Lide, "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics," 84th Ed., CRC Press, 2004.
- K. L. Cashdollor and I. A. Zlochower, "Explosion Temperatures and Pressures of Metals and Other Element Dust Clouds," J. Loss Prev. Process Indust., Vol. 20, pp. 337-348, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2007.04.018