- Volume 8 Issue 10
Mechanical tappet is used to reduce the cost and friction loss compared with hydraulic tappet. But the mechanical tappet doesn't have the ability to control the clearance between cams and valves and is selected by measuring the distance between valves and cams in order to minimize the clearance of valves by considering thermal expansion of valves. So, the valve clearance is nearly zero after fully warming-up periods, but there is valve clearance before warming-up. Especially at cold condition, the clearance is relatively large and can bring about some problems. In this study, the valve motions like lift, velocity, seating velocity and bouncing height were studied at various valve clearance conditions by experiment and analysis. As the valve clearance increases, the ramp area becomes shorten and it causes the valve train motion to have bad effects.
Valve clearance;Mechanical tappet;Valve lift;Valve velocity;Seating velocity;Bouncing height
- J. Cho, S. Jang, "A Study of the Engine Valve Train Noise in the Lubricating Contact", KSAE 2016, pp. 1424-14226, 2016.
- S.Y.Hwang, K.T.Kang, B.S.Lim, Y.S.Lim, "Noise Reduction and Sound Quality Improvement of Valve Train in V6 Gasoline Engine", SAE, SAE 2005-01-1834, 2005.
- J.Seo, B. Na, J. Kim, S. Park, Y, Lee, D. Lim, "A Study of Cam&Tappet by Low Friction/Wear Coating", KSAE 2007, pp. 47-52, 2007.
- C. Lee, H. Kim, J. Rhee, "Improvement of the Camshaft Chattering Noise and Application to Engine Development", KSAE 2014, pp.40-413, 2014
- H. Shin, M. Cho, D. Han, "Mixed Lubrication Analysis of Cam/Tappet Interface on the Direct Acting Type Valvetrain System", KSAE pp.200-207, 2000.
- P. D. Fleischauer, "Tribology in the Space Environment" New Directions in Tribology-Plenary and invited papers from the first World Tribology Congress, pp. 217-227, 1997
- R. L. Fusaro, "Lubrication of Space System" J. of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Vol. 51, pp 182-194, 1995
- Barry, H. F. "Factors Relating to the Performance of MoS2 as a Lubricant," Lubrication engineering, Vol. 33, pp 475-480, 1997
- C.D.Yeo, D.E.Kim, J.E.Yun, "Torque Characteristics of Cam/Tappet System", SAE NO. 98370100, KSAE vol. 5, pp66-74, 1998
- H..Kong, H. G. Han, E. S. Yoon, O. K. Kwon and N. K. Myshkin, "Evaluation of the Wear Life of MoS2-bonded-films in Tribo-testers with Different Contact Configuration" Wear, Vol. 215, pp. 25-33, 1998 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(97)00288-3
- C. Donnet, J. M. Martin, T.L. Mogne and M. Belin, "Super-low Friction of MoS2 Coating in Various Environments" Tribology International,. Vol. 29. pp. 123-128, 1996 https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-679X(95)00094-K
- R. S. Paranjpe, "Dynamic Analysis of a Valve Spring with a Coulomb Friction Damper", Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 112, pp509-513, December 1990 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2912639
- Jeff G. Sczepanski, "New Equipment and Methodology to Perform High Speed Valve Train Dynamics Testing and Analysis" SAE, SAE 2004-01-1720, 2004.
- J. Seo, J. Park, T. Park, J. Kim, "Study on Valvetrain Dynamic Characteristics Analysis by Using Vibrometer and High Speed Camera", KSAE 2016, pp. 158-159, 2016
- R. Kerres, D. Schwarz, M. Bach, A. Eichenberg, J. Wust, "Overview of Measurement Technology for Valve Lift and Rotation on Motored and Fired Engines", SAE, 2012-01-0159, 2012