- Volume 8 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study on Nursing Needs of Hospitalized Children's Mothers and Quality of Care in Pediatric Unit
입원 아동 어머니의 간호요구와 소아병동 간호의 질에 관한 융합 연구
- Received : 2017.09.06
- Accepted : 2017.10.20
- Published : 2017.10.28
This study aimed to investigate the nursing needs of hospitalized children's mothers and the quality of care in a pediatric unit. A secondary data analysis was conducted using mixed methods design. The qualitative data from 8 mothers of hospitalized children gathered through an in-depth interview were analyzed to investigate nursing needs. The quantitative data from 194 hospitalized children's mothers were analyzed to examine the quality of care in the pediatric unit using IBM SPSS 24.0. The results of qualitative research were categorized into 4 themes: dignity and respect, explanation, participation and collaboration, and nursing practice. The importance of quality of care, performance, and quality index were
Hospitalized children;Nursing need;Quality of care;Pediatric unit;Convergence study
- M. Y. Choi, K. S. Bang, "Development and testing of a pediatric nurse parent partnership scale", J. of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 194-202, 2013. http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.194 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.194
- M. Y. Choi, "Parent participation in care of hospitalized children: Concept analysis", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 105-112, 2014. http://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.105 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.105
- E., Jeong, I. S. Kwon, "Role and role burden of caregivers with hospitalized children", Korean Parent-Child Health J., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 28-38, 2015.
- L. Shields, J. Yong, D. McCann, "The needs of parents of hospitalized children in Australia", J. of Child Health Care, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 60-75, 2008. http://doi.org/10.1177/1367493507085619 https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493507085619
- V. Henderson, "The nature of nursing." J. of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 21-34, 1996.
- J. Oh, Y. Y. Kim, H. K. Kim, H. J. Park, H. Cho, "An Integrative review of the 'Quality of care through patient's eyes", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 283-293, 2014. http://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.4.283 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.4.283
- M. Craft-Rosenberg, M, Krajicek, M. Nursing excellence for children and families. New York: Springer Pub. Co., 2006.
- G. Mikkelsen, K. Frederiksen, "Family-centered care of children in hospital-a concept analysis", J. of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 67, No. 5, pp. 1152-1162, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05574.x
- I. Coyne, A. Amory, G. Kiernan, F. Gibson, "Children's participation in shared decision-making: children, adolescents, parents and healthcare professionals' perspectives and experiences", European J. of Oncology Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 273-280, 2014.
- P. Lee, "What does partnership in care mean for children's nurses?" J. of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 518-526, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01591.x
- H. Cho, Development of an instrument to measure the quality of care through patients' eyes for hospitalized child., Ewha Womans University, Ph.D. thesis, 2015.
- E. Jeong, I. S. Kwon, "Nursing needs and nursing performance as perceived by caregivers with hospitalized children", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 244-25, 2015. http://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.3.244 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.3.244
- T. Pelander, H. Leino-Kilpi, J. Katajisto, "The quality of paediatric nursing care: developing the child care quality at hospital instrument for children", J. of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 443-453, 2008.
- A. Vasudevan, A. Arachchi, D. R. van Langenberg, "Assessing patient satisfaction in inflammatory bowel disease using the QUOTE-IBD survey: a small step for clinicians, a potentially large step for improving quality of care", J. of Crohn's and Colitis, Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. e367-e374, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crohns.2013.02.012
- H. Cho, J. Oh, D. Jeong, "Development of an instrument to measure the quality of care through patients' eyes for hospitalized child", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 131-140, 2015. http://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.2.131 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.2.131
- S. Cho, S. Heo, D. H. Moon, "A convergence study on the hospital nurse's perception of patient safety culture and safety nursing acticity", J. of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 125-136, 2016. http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.125 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.125
- H. Lee, "Converged influencing factors on compassion competence in clinical nurses", J. of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 15-22, 2015. http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.015 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.015
- K. Y. Rhee, Y. R. Tak, "A phenomenological convergence study on the empathic activity experience of the comparison ward nurses", J. of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 47-62, 2017. http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.047 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.047
- K. H. Jang, I. S. Jung, "Converged study on the nurses' knowledge and performance of cancer pain management in one city", J. of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 115-124, 2016. http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.115 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.115
- E. K. Choi, S. H. Kim, S. Y. Jung, E. H. Cho, K. S. Choi, S. J. Sim, et al., "Expectation and satisfaction of parents with inpatient hospital service", J. of Korean clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 228-238, 2011.
- L. Martin, S. van Dulmen, E. Spelten, A. de Jonge, P, de Cock, E. Hutton, "Prenatal counseling for congenital anomaly test: Parental preferences and perceptions of midwife performance", Prenatal Diagnosis, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 341-353, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/pd.4074
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2014 Statistical Yearbook of Health and Welfare (Issue No. 11-1352000-000137-10), Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2014.
- H. J. Sixma, J. J. Kerssens, C. van Campen, L. Peters, "Quality of care from the patients' perspective: From theoretical concept to a new measuring instrument." Health Expectations, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 82-95, 1998. http://doi.org/10.1046/j.1369-6513.1998.00004.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1369-6513.1998.00004.x
- K. Krippendorff, Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. 2nd ed. Beverly Hills: Sage, 2004.
- S. A. Han, "An bioethics reflection on the clinical nurses' service education", Personal Ethics Bioethics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 109-129, 2013.
- S. Y. Bae, I. Lee, "The effect of child's mother and nurse partnership on the anxiety and perceived quality of nursing care of hospitalized child's mother", J. of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 516-528, 2017. http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.7.516 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.7.516
- M. S. Kim, H. M. Seo, J. Y. Oh, Y. H. Lee, M. S. Choi, Y. A. Choi, "A research on inpatient perception of kindness on nurse", J. of the Nursing Association of Ewha Womans University, Vol. -, No. 23, pp. 48-59, 1990.
- J. E. Kim, H. J. Jung, H. N. Kim, S. Y. Son, S. K. Ahn, S. M. Kim, et al., "The image of nurses and their clinical role portrayed in Korean medical TV dramas in recent 5 years", Perspectives in Nursing Science, Vol. 10, No, 2, pp. 120-132, 2013
- L. Lindeke, M. Nakai, L. Johnson, "Capturing children's voices for quality improvement", MCN, The American J. of Maternal/Child Nursing, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 290-295, 2006.
- Y. S. Ha, J. H. Lee, H. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, S. J. Kim, et al. Child and Adolescent NursingI. Seoul: Shinkwang publication, 2014.
- H. J. Kim, M. H. Kim, Y. K. Kim, M. B. Yu, J. Oh, "A study on mother's perception of uncertainty and nursing need concerning child's hospitalization", Korean Parent-Child Health J. Vol. 10 No. 2, pp. 136-146, 2007.
- Y. S. Jeong, J. S. Kim, "Parent satisfaction with inpatient hospital services in children's hospital", J. of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 273-281, 2005.
- M. C. Kuethe, H. J. Sixma, A. A. P. H. Vanessen-Verberne, J. C. Booij, W. M. C. van Aalderen, "Assessing quality of care in pediatric asthma: Applicability of a revised version of the QUOTE-CNSLD questionnaire", J. of Asthma, Vol. 49, No. 9, pp. 966-976, 2012. http://doi.org/10.3109/02770903.2012.721434 https://doi.org/10.3109/02770903.2012.721434
- M. Choi,, K. Bang, "Quality of pediatric nursing care: concept analysis", J. of Academy of Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 757-764, 2010. http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.757 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.757
- C. Delany, J. Galvin, "Ethics and shared decision-making in peadiatric occupational therapy practice", Developmental Neuro Rehabilitation, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 347-354, 2014.
Supported by : 한국연구재단