- Volume 8 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Convergent Influencing Factors of Nursing Service Satisfaction Perceived by Patients and Nurses
환자와 간호사가 인지한 간호서비스만족의 융복합적 영향요인에 관한 연구
- Ahn, Mi-Ae (Chungnam National University Hospital) ;
- Kwon, Myoungjin (Department of Nursing Science, Daejeon University) ;
- Oh, So-Young (Chungnam National University Hospital)
- Received : 2017.08.30
- Accepted : 2017.10.20
- Published : 2017.10.28
The purpose of the study is to investigate the converging factors influencing communication competence, nursing service quality and satisfaction, A self-reported questionnaire was filled out from August 1 to October 15, 2016 and the study subjects were 193 patients and 184 nurses. The IBM SPSS version 23.0 statistics program was used for analysis of the collected data. Significant factors influencing patients' perception of nursing service satisfaction were occupation, the nurse's communication skills, and nursing service quality, with a total explanatory power of 78.5%. Significant factors influencing nurses' perception of nursing service satisfaction were age, the nurse's communication skills, and nursing service quality, with a total explanatory power of 70.6%. The results of this study will be helpful in individual treatment for satisfaction of nursing service. To improve nursing service satisfaction, educational programs need to be developed that can enhance continuous communication skills and nursing service quality.
Nurse;Patient;Communication;Service quality;Service satisfaction;convergent factors
- S. H. Yang, K. S. Jang, H. Y. Park. "Effects of Clinical Nurse's Intentional Nursing Rounds on Patient Needs and Satisfaction", Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics. Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.87-100, 2015.
- J. S. Kim, H. A. Eom, M. S. Yu. "Medical Convergence analysis of complaint about medical service in an affiliated hospital", Journal of the Korean Convergence Society. Vol. 7, No.52, pp.117-125, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.117 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.117
- G. Bartlett, R. Bartlett, R. Blais, R. Tamblyn, B. Clermont, B. MacGibbon. "Impact of patient communication problems on the risk of preventable adverse events in acute-care settings", Canadian Medical Association Journal. Vol. 178, No. 12, pp.1555-1562, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.070690 https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.070690
- W. Caris-verhallen, L. Timmermans, S. Dulmen. "Observation of nurse-patient interaction in oncology: Review of assessment instruments", Patient Education and Counseling. Vol. 54, No. 3, pp.307-320, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2003.12.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2003.12.009
- B. Hemsley, S. Balandin, L. Worrall. "Nursing the patient with complex communication needs: Time as a barrier and a facilitator to successful communication in hospital", Journal of Advanced Nursing. Vol. 68, No. 1, pp.116-126. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05722.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05722.x
- J. Costello, L. Patak, J. Pritchard. "Communication vulnerable patients in the pediatric ICU: Enhancing care through augmentative and alternative communication", Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp.289-301, 2010.
- B. Hemsley, S. Balandin. "'We need to be the centrepiece': Adults with cerebral palsy and complex communication needs discuss the roles and needs of family carers in hospital.", Disability and Rehabilitation. Vol. 30, No. 23, pp.1759-1771, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280701645474 https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280701645474
- A. Wassenaar, J. Schouten, L. Schoonhoven. "Factors promoting intensive care patients' perception of feeling safe: A systematic review", International Journal of Nursing Studies. Vol. 51, No. 2, pp.261-273, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.07.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.07.003
- M. A. Lee. "A Study of the Nursing Service Perceived by Consumers and Providers, and the Tool that Measures Nursing Service", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 33, No. 6, pp.772-783, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.772 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.772
- Y. O. Sun, S. H. Kwak, H. J. Kwon, J. M. Seo. "A Study on Nursing Service Satisfaction and Intention to Revisit and Recommend Hospital in Inpatients", Global Health and Nursing. Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.93-101, 2011.
- Y. Chen, J. Liu, S. Xiao, X. Liu, X. Tang, Y. Zhou. "Model construction of nursing service satisfaction in hospitalized tumor patients", International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine. Vol. 7, No. 10, pp.3621-3629, 2014.
- H. R. Seo, H. K. Eom, Y. K. Seo, M. J. Choi, S. I. Im, S. M. Shin, et. al., "Relationship among Nurses' Communication Style, Nursing Service Satisfaction, Hospital Service Satisfaction Perceived by Patients' Family and Intent to Revisit the Hospital", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.368-378. 2016.
- Y. K. Kim, J. P. Yu. "A study on verbal and non-verbal communication of medical service provider", Journal of the Korea Service Management Society. Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.225-258, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2008.9.1.010 https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2008.9.1.010
- A. Parasuraman, V. A. Zeithaml, L. I. Berry. "SERVQUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale for Measuring Computer Perception of Service Quality", Journal of Retailing. Vol. 64, pp.12-40, 2004.
- M. A. Lee. "A Study of the Nursing Service Quality and Gap Perceived by Consumers", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 34, No. 2, pp.225-234, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.2.225 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.2.225
- E. L. La Monica, M. T. Oberst. A. R. Madea, R. M. Wolf. "Development of a patient satisfaction scale?", Research in Nursing & Health. Vol.9, pp.43-50, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770090108
- E. J. Yang. Comparison of contentment and its importance in nurse service which both patients and nurses can fee. Kyunghee University. Master's Thesis. 2002.
- E. H. Gil. H. Y. Oh, "Outpatient's Nursing Service Satisfaction and Intent to Revisit Hospital According to Nurses' Communication Ability and Styles", Korean Journal of Health Communication. Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.143-153, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2014.9.2.143 https://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2014.9.2.143
- S. W. Jung, Y. J. Seo, H. J. Lee, L. K. Jee. "Determination of Patient Satisfaction and Intent to Revisit at National University Hospital in Korea", Korean Journal of Hospital Management. Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.111-123, 2005.
- S. H. Kim, M. A. Lee, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Communication Competence on Turnover Intention in Nurses", Journal of Korean Academic Nursing Administration. Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.332-341, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332
- M. A. Lee, Y. H. Yom. "A Comparative Study of Consumers and Providers on Nursing Service Quality, Satisfaction, and Hospital Revisiting Intent", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.425-437, 2005.
- S. Y. Ahn. "The Convergence Relation of Communication, Emotional Labor, and Organizational Commitment among Nurse", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp.147-152, 2017.
- K. S. Kim, E. O. Ha, "Factors Affecting Quality of Nursing Services and Intention to Revisit as Perceived by Hospitalized Patients and Nurses in Medium Sized Urban Hospitals", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.103-114, 2009.
- M. A. Lee. "A Comparative Study of how Subjects' Characteristics and Nursing Service Quality Influence on Hospital Revisiting Intent between Patients and Nurses". Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 35, No. 7, pp.1210-1220, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1210 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1210
- B. I. Park, K. H. Chung. "Comparison of Recognition for Nursing Services between Inpatients and Nurses", The Journal of the Research and Information Service. Vol. 14, pp.55-68, 2014
- N. Y. Lee, J. Y. Han, M. J. Heo. "Comparison of satisfaction and need on nursing service perceived by the patients and nurses", Journal of the Korean data & information science society. Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.169-177, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.1.169
- J. W. Kim, I. S. Lee. "The Differences in Quality Perceptions, Expectations, Evaluation, and Satisfaction for Nursing Service between Patients and Nurses: Small-medium Sized General Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 34, No. 7, pp.1243-1254, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.7.1243 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.7.1243
- H. J. Song, S. M. Lee. "The Effects of Hospital Nurses' Self-Esteem and Communication Skill on Self-Leadership and the Quality of Nursing Service", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.220-229, 2016. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.220 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.220
- M. S. Seo, Y. I. Park. "The Communication Styles and Nursing Service Satisfaction of Clinical Research Nurses Perceived by Clinical Subjects", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. Vol. 22, No. 4, pp.559-566, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.559 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.559
- C. Pehrson, S. C. Banerjee, R. Manna, S. M. Johnson, S. Hammonds, N. Coyle, et al. "Responding empathically to patients: Development, implementation, and evaluation of a communication skills training module for oncology nurses", Patient Education and Counseling. Vol. 51, No. 4, pp.610-616, 2016.
- J. S. Kim, J. K. Kim, W. S. Han, M. S. Shim. "Effects of National Evaluation of Long-Term Care Hospitals on Hospital Workers' Work Environment, Job Satisfaction, and Quality of Services", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.137-146, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.137