- Volume 26 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Photosynthetic Ability in Two Representative Evergreen Broad-leaved Tree Species in Korea
- Kim, Dong-Hak (Department of Life Science, Cheongju University) ;
- Park, Yong Mok (Department of Life Science, Cheongju University)
- Received : 2017.10.03
- Accepted : 2017.10.19
- Published : 2017.10.31
To maintain a rich biological diversity is important to develop for biomaterial resources such as Korean evergreen broad-leaved tree species, the distribution of which is restricted to the southern part of Korean peninsula. We assessed photosynthetic characteristics of Quercus acuta and Castanopsis sieboldii, the representative evergreen broad-leaved trees in Korea, in order to establish a basis for conservation strategy related to distributional change in evergreen broad-leaved tree species according to climate change. Photosynthetic characteristics were evaluated in the sun and shade leaves of the two species. Sun leaves in both species revealed higher light compensation point and maximum photosynthetic rate compared to the shade leaves. In addition, photosynthetic rate was higher in Q. acuta than C. sieboldii, which was supported by a higher leaf nitrogen content and leaf mass per area. Water use efficiency was also higher in Q. acuta as compared to that in C. sieboldii. Similar photosynthetic rate, however, was shown in photosynthetic response to
Evergreen broad-leaved tree;Leaf mass per area;Leaf nitrogen content;Photosynthesis
Supported by : Cheongju University
- Koike, T., 2004, Interspecific variation of photosynthesis and leaf characteristics in five canopy trees of Dipterocarpaceae in a tropical rain forest, Tree Physiol., 24, 1187-1192. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/24.10.1187
- Korea Meteorological Administration, 2015, Annual climatological report, Korea Meteorological Administration, 138-140.
- Park, J. C., Yang, K. O., Jang, D. H., 2010, The movement of evergreen broad-leaved forest zone in the warm temperate region due to climate change in South Korea, J. Cli. Res., 5, 29-41.
- Peltier, D. M. P., Ines, I., 2015, Patterns and variability in seedling carbon assimilation: Implications for tree recruitment under climate change, Tree Physiol., 35(1), 71-85. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/tpu103
Pfanz, H., Vodnik, D., Wittmann, C., Aschan, G., Batic, F., Turk, B., Macek, I., 2007, Photosynthetic performance (
$CO_2$-compensation point, carboxylation efficiency, and net photosynthesis) of timothy grass (Phleum Pratense L.) is affected by elevated carbon dioxide in post-volcanic mofette areas, Environ. Exp. Bot., 61 (1), 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2007.02.008
- Porra, R. J., Thompson, P. E. K., 1989, Determination of accurate extinction coefficients and simultaneous equations of assaying chlorophylls a and b extracted with four different solvents: Verification of the concentration of chlorothyll standards by atomic absorption spectroscopy, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 975, 384-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-2728(89)80347-0
- Reich, P. B., Ellsworth, D. S., Walters, M. B., Vose, J. M., Gresham, C., Volin, J. C., Bowman, W. D., 1999, Generality of leaf trait relationships: A Test across six biomes, Ecol., 80, 1955-1969. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(1999)080[1955:GOLTRA]2.0.CO;2
- Takashima, T., Hikosaka, K., Hirose, T., 2004, Photosynthesis or persistence: Nitrogen allocation in leaves of evergreen and deciduous Quercus Species, Pl. Cell & Environ., 27(8), 1047-1054. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.2004.01209.x
- Von Caemmerer, S., Farquhar, G. D., 1981, Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leavess, Planta, 153, 376-387. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00384257
- Yasumura, Y., Hikosaka, K., Hirose, T., 2006, Seasonal changes in photosynthesis, nitrogen content and nitrogen partitioning in Lindera umbellate leaves grown in high or low irradiance, Tree Physiol., 26, 1315-1323. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/26.10.1315
- Ashton, P. M., 1992, Leaf adaptation of some Shorea species to sun and shade, New Phytol., 121, 587-596. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1992.tb01130.x
- Atwell, B., Kriedmann, P., Turnbull, C., 1999, Plants in action, Macmillan Education Australia PTY Ltd., 650.
- Evans, R., Seeman, J. J., 1989, The allocation of protein nitrogen in the photosynthetic apparatus: Costs, consequences, and control, In: photosynthesis, Briggs, W. R. (ed.), Liss, New York, 183-205.
- Fahl, J. I., Carelli, L. C., Vega, J., Magalhaes, A. C., 1994, Nitrogen and irradiance levels affecting net photosynthis and growth of young coffee plants (Coffea arabica L.), J. Hot, Cul. Sci., 69, 161-169.
- Farquhar, G. D., Sharkey, T. D., 1985, Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis, Ann. Rev. Pl. Physiol., 33, 317-345.
- Fischer, R. A., Rees, D., Sayer, K. D., Lu, Z. M., Condon, A. G., Saavedra, A. L., 1997, Wheat yield progress associated with higher stomatal conductance and photosynthetic rate, and cooler canopies, Crop Sci., 38, 1467-1475.
- Givnish, T. J., 1988, Adaptation to sun and shadel a whole-plant perspective, Aust. J. Pl. Physiol., 15, 63-92. https://doi.org/10.1071/PP9880063
- Gonz, Z. R., Agueda, M., Domingo, M., Soledad, M. J., 2001, Gas exchange characteristics of a Canadian laurel forest tree species (Laurus Azorica) in relation to environmental conditions and leaf canopy position, Tree Physiol., 21(14), 1039-1045. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/21.14.1039
- Hikosaka, K., 2004, Intraspecific difference in the photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship: Patterns, physiological causes, and ecological importance, J. Plant Res., 117, 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10265-004-0174-2
- Ibanez, I., Clark, J. S., Dietze, M. C., 2008, Evaluating the sources of potential migrant species: Implications under climate change, Ecol. Appl., 18, 1664-1678. https://doi.org/10.1890/07-1594.1
- Iio, A., Fukasawa, H., Nose, Y., Koto, S., Kakubari, Y., 2005, Vertical, horizontal and azimuthal variations in leaf photosynthetic characteristics within a Fagus crenata crown in relation to light acclimation, Tree Physiol., 25, 533-544. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/25.5.533
- Kenzo, T., Ichie, T., Yoneda, R., Kitahashi, Y., Watanabe, Y., Ninomiya, I., Koike, T., 1988, Leaf structure and photosynthetic performance as related to the forest succession of deciduous broad-leaved trees, Pl. Species Biol., 3, 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-1984.1988.tb00173.x
- Kim, J. W., 1992, Vegetation of northeast Asia, Ph D Dissertation of the University of Vienna, Austria.
- Koike, F., 1989, Foliage-crown development and interaction in Quercus Gilva and Q. Acuta, J. Ecol., 92-111.