- Volume 26 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Estimating Groundwater Level Change Associated with River Stage and Pumping using Time Series Analyses at a Riverbank Filtration Site in Korea
- Cheong, Jae-Yeol (R&D Institute, Korea Radioactive Waste Agency) ;
- Hamm, Se-Yeong (Department of Geological Sciences, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Soo (Department of Renewable Energy, Jungwon University) ;
- Lee, Soo-Hyoung (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Park, Heung-Jai (Department of Environmental Engineering, Inje University)
- Received : 2017.09.22
- Accepted : 2017.10.17
- Published : 2017.10.31
At riverbank filtration sites, groundwater levels of alluvial aquifers near rivers are sensitive to variation in river discharge and pumping quantities. In this study, the groundwater level fluctuation, pumping quantity, and streamflow rate at the site of a riverbank filtration plant, which produces drinking water, in the lower Nakdong River basin, South Korea were interrelated. The relationship between drawdown ratio and river discharge was very strong with a correlation coefficient of 0.96, showing a greater drawdown ratio in the wet season than in the dry season. Autocorrelation and cross-correlation were carried out to characterize groundwater level fluctuation. Autoregressive model analysis of groundwater water level fluctuation led to efficient estimation and prediction of pumping for riverbank filtration in relation to river discharge rates, using simple inputs of river discharge and pumping data, without the need for numerical models that require data regarding several aquifer properties and hydrologic parameters.
Time series analyses;Autoregressive model;Groundwater level;Stream discharge;Riverbank filtration
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Jungwon University
- Woessner, W. W., Troy, T., Ball, P., DeBorde, D. C., 1998, Virus transport in the capture zone of a well penetrating a high hydraulic conductivity aquifer containing a preferential flow zone: Challenges to natural disinfection, In Proceeding of Source Water Protection International 98, Dallas, Texas, April 28-30, 167-174.
- Worrall, F., Burt, T. P., 1999, A Univariate model of river water nitrate time series, J. Hydrol., 214, 74-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(98)00249-2
- Achten, C., Kolb, A., Puttmann, W., 2002, Occurrence of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) in riverbank filtered water and drinking water produced by riverbank filtration, 2, Environ. Sci. & Tech., 36, 3662-3670. https://doi.org/10.1021/es011493q
- Angelini, P., 1997, Correlation and spectral analysis of two hydrogeological system in Central Italy, Hydrolog. Sci. J., 42, 425-439. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626669709492038
- Castro, N. M., Hornberger, G. M., 1991, Surface-subsurface water interactions in an alluviated mountain stream channel, Water Resour. Res., 27, 1613-1621. https://doi.org/10.1029/91WR00764
- Cheong, J.-J., Hamm, S.-Y., Kim, H.-S., Ko, E.-J., Yang, K. H., Lee, J.-H., 2008, Estimating hydraulic conductivity using grain-size analyses, aquifer tests, and numerical modeling in a riverside alluvial system in South Korea, Hydrogeol. J., 16, 1129-1143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-008-0303-4
- Duffy, C. J., Gelhar, L. W., 1986, A Frequency domain analysis of groundwater quality fluctuations: Interpretation of field data, Water Resour. Res., 22, 1115-1128. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR022i007p01115
- Hendricks, S. P., White, D. S., 1991, Physicochemical patterns within a hyporheic zone of a northern Michigan river, with comments on surface water patterns, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 48, 1645-1654. https://doi.org/10.1139/f91-195
- Hiscock, K. M., Grischek, T., 2002, Attenuation of groundwater pollution by bank filtration, J. Hydrol., 266, 139-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00158-0
- Kim, J.-H., Lee, J., Cheong, T.-J., Kim, R.-H., Koh, D.-C., Ryu, J.-S., Chang, H.-W., 2005, Use of time series analysis for the identification of tidal effect on groundwater in the coastal area of Kimje, Korea. J. Hydrol., 300, 188-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2004.06.004
- Kim, N. J., Lee, H. K., 1964, Geologic map of Yeongsan area (1:50,000), National Geological Survey.
- Larocque, M., Mangin, A., Razack, M., Banton, O., 1998, Contribution of correlation and spectral analyses to the regional study of a large karst aquifer (Charente, France), J. Hydrol., 205, 217-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(97)00155-8
- Lee, J. H., Hamm, S.-Y., Cheong, J.-Y., Kim, H.-S., Ko, E.-J., Lee, K.-S., Lee, S.-I., 2009, Characterizing riverbank-filtered water and river water qualities at a site in the lower Nakdong River basin, Korea, J. Hydrol., 376, 209-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.07.030
- Lee, J.-Y., Lee, K.-K., 2000, Use of hydrologic time series data for identification of recharge mechanism in a fractured bedrock aquifer system, J. Hydrol., 229, 190-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(00)00158-X
- Mayer, J. R., Brinson, J., George, B., 2002, Groundwater quality implications of bank-storage in a crystalline-rock setting, Environ. Geosci., 9, 74-80. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-0984.2002.92001.x
- Oh, Y.-Y., Hamm, S.-Y., Yoon, H., Kim, G.-B., 2016, Analytical and statistical approach for evaluating the effects of a river barrage on river-aquifer interactions, Hydrol. Process., 30, 3932-3948. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.10920
- Padilla, A., Pulido-Boshch, A., 1995, Study of hydrographs of karstic aquifers by means of correlation and cross-spectral analysis, J. Hydrol., 168, 73-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(94)02648-U
- Park, S. D., 2003, Dimensionless flow duration curve in natural river, J. Korea Water Resour. Assoc., 36, 33-44 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2003.36.1.033
- Ray, C., 2001, Riverbank filtration: Understanding contaminant biogeochemistry and pathogen removal, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 253.
- Ray, C., Melin, G., Linsky, R. B., 2002, Riverbank filtration: Improving source-water quality, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Fountain Valley, California, U.S.A., 364.
- Rossi, P., De Carvalho-dill, A., Muller, I., Aragno, M., 1994, Comparative tracing experiments in a porous aquifer using bateriophages and fluorescent dye on a test field located at Wilerwald (Switzerland) and simultaneously surveyed in detail on a local scale by radio-magneto-tellury (12-240kHz), Environ. Geol., 23, 192-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00771788
- Sophocleous, M. A., 1991, Stream-floodwater propagation through the Great Bend alluvial aquifer, Kansas: Field measurement and numerical simulations, Water Resour. Res., 124, 207-228.
- Woessner, W. W., 2000, Stream and fluvial plain ground water interactions: Rescaling hydrogeologic thought, Ground Water, 38, 423-429. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.2000.tb00228.x