- Volume 26 Issue 10
In this study a method for filling in missing data of river water temperature using a pre-constructed mathematical relationship between air and water temperatures is presented. A regression between water temperatures at individual stations and ambient air temperatures at nearby weather stations can provide a practical method for representing missing water temperature data for an entire region. Air and water temperature data that were collected from two test sites (one coastal and, one inland) were individually fitted to a nonlinear regression model. To consider seasonal hysteresis effects, separate functions were fitted to the data in the rising and falling limbs. A single-criterion, multi-parameter optimization technique was used to determine the optimal parameter sets. This method minimizes the differences between the time series of the measured and estimated data. The constructed air-water temperature relationship was subsequently applied to represent missing water temperature data. It was found that the RMSEs(MBEs) were in the range of
Missing data;Logistic function;Optimization;Water temperature
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Daegu University
- Chau, K. W., 2007, A Split-step particle swarm optimization algorithgm in river stage forecasting, Journal of Hydrology, 346(3-4), 131-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.09.004
- Cole, J. C., 2008, How to deal with missing data, In: Osborne, J. W. (ed.), Best practices in quantitative method, Thousand Oaks, C.A. Sage, 214-238.
- Duan, Q. Y., Gupta, V. K., Sorooshian, S., 1993, Shuffled complex evolution approach for effective and efficient global minimization, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 76, 501-521. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00939380
- Duan, Q. Y., Sorooshian, S., Gupta, V. K., 1994, Optimal use of the SCE-UA global optimization method for calibrating watershed models, Journal of Hydrology, 158, 265-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(94)90057-4
- Lee, Y. J., Lwiza, K. M. M., 2007, Characteristics of bottom dissolved oxygen in Long Island Sound, New York, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 76, 187-200.
- Lei, Y. C., Zhang, S. Y., 2004, Features and partial derivatives of Bertalanffy-Richards growth model in forestry, Nonlinear Analysis: Modeling and Control, 9(1), 65-73.
- Little, R. J. A., Rubin, D. B., 1987, Statistical analysis with missing data, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Meek, D. W., Hatfield, J. L., 1994, Data quality checking for single station meteorological databases, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 69, 85-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1923(94)90083-3
- Mohseni, O., Ericson, T. R., Stefan, H., 1999, Sensitivity of stream temperature in the United States to air temperature projected under a global warming scenario, Water Resources Research, 35(12), 3723-3733. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999WR900193
- Mohseni, O., Ericson, T. R., Stefan, H., 2002, Upper bounds for stream temperature in the contiguous United States, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 128(1), 4-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2002)128:1(4)
- Mohseni, O., Stefan, H., 1999, Stream temperature/air temperature relationship: A Physical interpretation, Journal of Hydrology, 218, 128-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(99)00034-7
- Mohseni, O., Stefan, H., Ericson, T. R., 1998, A Nonlinear regression model for weekly stream temperature, Water Resources Research, 34(10), 2685-2692. https://doi.org/10.1029/98WR01877
- Morril, J. C., Bales, R. C., Conklin, M. H., 2005, Estimating stream temperature from air temperature: Implications for future water quality, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 131(1), 139-146. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2005)131:1(139)
- Nash, J. E., Sutcliffe, J. V., 1970, River flow forecasting through conceptual models, I-A Discussion of principles, Journal of Hydrology, 10, 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(70)90255-6
- Nelder, J. A., Mead, R. A., 1965, A Simplex method for function minimization, Computer Journal, 7, 308-313. https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/7.4.308
- Osborne, J. W., 2013, Best practices in data cleaning: A Complete guide to everything you need to do before and after collecting your data, Sage Publication: USA.
- Pella, J. J. S., Tomlinson, P. K., 1969, A Generalized stock-production model, Bull. IATTC., 13(3), 421-496.
- Pilgrim, J. M., Stefan, H. G., 1995, Correlation of Minnesota stream water temperatures with air temperatures, Project. Rep. 382. St Anthony Falls Laboratory, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
- Richards, F. J., 1959, A Flexible growth function for empirical use, Journal Experimental Botany, 10(2), 290-300. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/10.2.290
- Rubin, D., 1976, Inference and missing data, Biometrika, 63(3), 581-592. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/63.3.581
- Schafer, J. L., Graham, J. W., 2002, Missing data: Our view of the state of the art, Psychological Methods, 7, 147-177. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.2.147
- Shafer, M. A., Fiebrich, C. A., Arndt, D. S., 2000, Quality assurance procedures in the Oklahoma Mesonetwork, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 17(4), 474-494. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(2000)017<0474:QAPITO>2.0.CO;2
- Stefan, H. G., Preud' homme, E. B., 1993, Stream temperature estimation from air Temperature, Water Resources Research, 29(1), 27-45.
- Stefan, H. G., Sinokrot, B. A., 1993, Projected global climate change impact on water temperatures in five north central U.S. streams, Climate Change, 24(4), 353-381. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01091855
- Struyf, E., Damme, S. V., Meire, P., 2004, Possible effects of climate change on estuarine nutrient fluxes: A Case study in the highly nutrified Schelde estuary (Belgium, The Netherland), Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, 60, 649-661. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2004.03.004
- Webb, B. W., Nobilis, F., 1997, Long term perspective on the nature of the air-water temperature relationship: A Case study, Hydrological Processes, 11, 137-147. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1085(199702)11:2<137::AID-HYP405>3.0.CO;2-2