- Volume 26 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects on Vegetation Distribution of Odaesan National Park according to Climate and Topography of Baekdudaegan, Korea
- Han, Bong-Ho ;
- Choi, Jin-Woo ;
- Yeum, Jung-Hun
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.10.06
- Published : 2017.10.31
This study aimed to understand the distribution of vegetation in the eastern and western sides of the Baekdudaegan (ridge) dividing the Odaesan National Park, as influenced by its topography and climate. The actual vegetation, topography and climate for each side were used in the overlay analysis. The results of the analysis of actual vegetation showed a high distribution rate of Quercus mongolica forest on both the eastern and western sides. On the eastern side, the distribution rate of Pinus densiflora forest and P. densiflora-Q. variabilis forest was high, while the western side had a high distribution rate of deciduous broad-leaved tree forest and Abies hollophylla forest. A clear trend was identified for vegetation distribution with respect to elevation but not with respect to slope or aspect. The results of micro-landform analysis showed that the P. densiflora forests in the ridge and slope and the deciduous broad-leaved tree forest in the valley were respectively distributed with a high ratio. In terms of climate, the eastern side revealed an oceanic climate, with a relatively high average annual temperature, while the western side was characterized by relatively high average annual humidity and average annual precipitation. The distribution rate of P. densiflora forest was found to be high on the eastern side of the mountain range.
Ridge impact;Topographic characteristic;Northern temperate zone;Oceanic climate;Overlay analysis
- Bae, K. H., Hong, S. C., 1996, Structure and dynamics of Pinus densiflora community in Mt. Kaya, J. Kor. For. Soc., 85(2), 260-270.
- Bonham-Carter, G. F., 1994, Geographic information systems for geoscientists: Modeling with GIS, pergamon press, New York, 398.
- Byun, D. W., Lee, H. J., Kim, C. H., 1998, Vegetation pattern and successional sere in the Forest of Mt. Odae, Kor. J. Ecol., 21(3), 283-290.
- Carver, S. J., 1991, Integrating multi-criteria evaluation with geographical information systems, Int. J. Geogr. Inf. Syst., 5(3), 321-339. https://doi.org/10.1080/02693799108927858
- Chang, L. W., Chiu, S. T., Tang, K. C., Wang, H. H., Hwong, J. L., 2012, Changes of plant communities classification and species composition along the micro-topography at the Lienhuachih Forest dynamics plot in the central Taiwan, Taiwania, 57(4), 359-371.
- Choi, J. W., Kim, K. W., Yeum, J. H., Hwang, W. S., 2015, Plant community structure from the Jilmoi wetlands to the Donghae observatory, Baekdudaegan mountains, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 29(2), 251-263.
- Choi, S. H., Kwon, J. O., Min, S. H., 1996, Plant community structure analysis in Noinbong area of Odaesan National Park, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 9(2), 156-165.
- Choung, Y. S., 1998, Characteristic species distribution of the Baekdoo great mountain chain at Kangwon province, Korea, Kor. J. Ecol., 21(1), 105-112.
- Choung, Y. S., Ro, C. H., Oh, H. K., 2004, Vegetation distribution and community classification in Baekdudaegan of southern part of Gangwon-do, J. Basic Sci., 14, 113-132.
- Cogbill, C. V., White, P. S., 1991, The latitude-elevation relationship for spruce-fir forest and treeline along the Appalachian mountain chain, Vegetatio., 94(2), 153-175. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00032629
- Collins, M. G., Steiner, F. R., Rushman, M. J., 2001, Land-use suitability analysis in the United States: Historical development and probising technological achievements, J. Environ. Manage., 28(5), 611-621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002670010247
- Han, B. H., Choi, J. W., Noh, T. H., Kim, D. W., 2015, The structure of plant community in Jungdaesa-Birobong area, Odaesan national park, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 29(2), 251-263.
- Hara, M., Hirata, K., Fujihara, M., Oono, K., 1996, Vegetation structure in relation to micro-landform in an evergreen broad-leaved forest on Amami Ohshima island, south-west Japan, Ecol. Res., 11(3), 325-337. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02347790
- Hou, H. Y., 1983, Vegetation of China with reference to its geographical distribution, Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard., 70, 509-549. https://doi.org/10.2307/2992085
- Hwang, K. M., Lee, J. M., Kim, J. H., 2012, Community classification and successional trends in the natural forest of Baekdudaegan in Gangwon province-focused on Hyangrobong, Odaesan, Seokbyeongsan, Dutasan, Deokhangsan and Hambaeksan-, J. Agric. Life. Sci., 46(4), 41-55.
- Im, Y. J., Kim, J. U., 1992, Vegetation of Jirisan (Mt.), Chungang University Press, Seoul, Korea, 467.
- Jang, G. J., 2007, Phytosociological studies on the Quercus mongolica forest in Korea, Ph.D. Dissertation, Gangwon National University, Chuncheon, Korea.
- Jiang, H. Q., 1980, Distributional features and zonal regularity of vegetation in Yunnan, Acta. bot. Yunnanica, 2(2), 142-151.
- Kikuchi, T., Miura, O., 1993, Vegetation patterns in relation to micro-scale landforms in hilly land regions, Vegetatio., 106(2), 147-154.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., 2003, Vegetation structure of mountain ridge from Nogodan to Goribong in Baekdudaegan, Korea, Kor. J. Env. Ecol., 16(4), 441-448.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., Um, T. W., 1996, Studies on the structure of forest community at Sangwonsa, Pirobong, Horyongbong area in Odaesan national park, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 10(1), 151-159.
- Kira, T., 1991, Forest ecosystems of east and southeast asia in a global perspective, Ecol. Res., 6(2), 185-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02347161
- Korea Forest Research Institute, 2003, Ecological aspects of Baekdu mountains in Korea and delineation of their management and conservation area, Korea Forest Research Institute, Seoul, Korea, 420.
- Korea Forest Service, 2017, http://www.forest.go.kr
- Lee, C. B., Chun, J. H., Song, H. K., Cho, H. J., 2013, Altitudinal patterns of plant species richness on the Baekdudaegan mountains, South Korea: Mid-domain effect, area, climate and Rapoport's rule, Ecol. Res., 28(1), 67-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-012-1001-1
- Lee, K. J., Kim, J. S., Choi, J. W., Han, B. H., 2008, Vegetation structure of Abies holophylla forest near Woljeong temple in Odaesan national park, Kor. J. Env. Ecol., 22(2), 173-183.
- Lee, S., 2000a, A Study on characteristic of forest vegetation and site in Mt. Odae (1), J. Kor. For. soc., 89(2), 173-184.
- Lee, S., 2000b, Site of plant community in Tongdaesan - A Study on characteristic of forest vegetation and site in Mt. Odae (2), J. Kor. For. soc., 89(5), 552-563.
- Lee, S. D., Hong, S. H., Kim, J. S., 2012, Plant community structure of Daetjae (hill) Baekbongryung(ridge), the Baekdudaegan mountain, Kor. J. Env. Ecol., 26(5), 719-729.
- Lee, W. C., 1995, Quercus mongolica Forest's Plant, Sumun Press, Seoul, Korea, 133-148.
- Marcu, M., Huber, V., 2003, Air thermal stratification in the depression area forms, "Depression Effect", phytogeographical implications, Analele ICAS, 46(1), 141-150.
- Ministry of Environment, 2002, Study on effective management method of Baekdudaegan, Ministry of Environment, Seoul, 324.
- Neilson, R. P., 1995, A Model for predicting continental-scale vegetation distribution and water balance, Ecol. Appl., 5(2), 362-385. https://doi.org/10.2307/1942028
- Ohsawa, M., 1990, An Interpretation of latitudinal patterns of forest limits in South and East Asian mountains, J. Ecol., 78(2), 326-339. https://doi.org/10.2307/2261115
- Ohsawa, M., 1993, Latitudinal pattern of mountain vegetation zonation in southern and eastern Asia, J. Veg. Sci., 4(1), 13-18. https://doi.org/10.2307/3235728
- Park, I. H., Ryu, S. B., Kim, R. H., 1996, Forest structure in relation to altitude and part of slope in a valley forest at Odaesan national park, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 9(2), 126-132.
- Pereira, J. M. C., Duckstein, L., 1993, A Multiple criteria decision-making approach to GIS-based land suitability evaluation, Int. J. Geogr. Inf. Syst., 7(5), 407-424. https://doi.org/10.1080/02693799308901971
- Peterson, D. L., Schreiner, E. G., Buckingham, N. M., 1997, Gradients, vegetation and climate: Spatial and temporal dynamics in the Olympic mountains, U.S.A., Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. Lett., 6(1), 7-17. https://doi.org/10.2307/2997523
- Sharma, A., Tiwari, K. N., Bhadoria, P. B. S., 2011, Determining the optimum cell size of digital elevation model for hydrologic application, J. Earth Syst. Sci., 120(4), 573-582. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-011-0092-3
- Shin, K. H., 2006, In Jiri-mountain national park, Southern Korea-Analysis of spatial relationship between environmental factors and vegetation distribution using DEM, J. Kor. Geomor. Assoc., 13(1), 85-95.
- Store, R., Kangas, J., 2001, Integrating spatial multi-criteria evaluation and expert knowledge for GIS-based habitat suitability modelling, Landscape Urban Plan., 55(2), 79-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-2046(01)00120-7
- Vloebeld, M., Leemans, R., 1993, Quantifying feed-back processes in the response of the terrestrial carbon cycle to global change: The modeling approach of IMAGE-2.0, Water Air Soil Poll., 70, 615-628. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01105025
- Yang, B. G., 1997, Concept of Baekdudaegan of Joseon Dynasty, J. Chintan. Soc., 83, 85-106.
- Yeon, M. H., Suh, M. H., Yang, K. C., Choi, S. K., Shim, J. K., 2006, Distribution of plant communities of Mt. Jiri with its geomorphological variation, J. Kor. Geomor. Assoc., 13(4), 57-67.
- Yim, K. B., Lee, S. W., 1975, Temperature factor in silvicultural view point in Korea - Especially on warmth and cold index -, J. Kor. For. Soc., 25, 1-12.
- Yoo, J. E., Lee, J. H., Kwon, K. W., 2003, An Analysis of forest community and dynamics according to elevation in Mt. Sokri and Odae, Kor. J. Agric. For. Meteorol., 5(4), 238-246.
- Yoon, J. H., 2003, Characteristics and change prediction of spatial distribution of Pinus densiflora stands in Korea: Emphasis on impacts of topography, climate, and soil factors, Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yuste, J. C., Janssens, I. A., Carrara, A., Meiresonne, L., Ceulemans, R., 2003, Interactive effects of temperature and precipitation on soil respiration in a temperate maritime pine forest, Tree Physiol., 23(18), 1263-1270. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/23.18.1263