- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Anger Expression Style and Cognitive Characteristics among Male adolescent game users depending on the level of Game Addiction and Engagement
게임중독 및 관여 수준에 따른 남자 청소년 게임사용집단의 분노표현양상과 인지적 특성 비교
- Lim, Jeeyoung (Hoseo University)
- 임지영 (호서대학교 산업심리학과)
- Received : 2017.08.17
- Accepted : 2017.10.20
- Published : 2017.10.28
This study was conducted to examine the differences of anger expression style and cognitive characteristics among adolescents depending on the level of game addiction and game engagement. 420 high school boys were administered the Game Addiction/Engagement Scale, Behavioral Anger Response Questionnaire to measure anger expression style, and Irrational Belief Scale to measure cognitive characteristics. The results of correlation analyses showed that addiction had positive correlations with all the irrational belief factors and behavior anger factors except for assertion and avoidance. Engagement was positively correlated with all the variables except for direct anger-out, avoidance, and self-downing. Participants were divided into three groups depending on the level of addiction and engagement. Addiction high risk-low engagement group showed the lowest scores on support-seeking and the highest scores on diffusion and self-downing. Addiction high risk-high engagement group showed the highest scores on direct anger-out. Based on these findings, it was suggested that counselling strategies for adolescents at high risk of game addiction need to be varied depending on the level of game engagement.
- Kyo Heon Kin, "A way to overcome addiction, the modern dungeon." Korean Journal of Health Psycholoty, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 677-693, 2007.
- Korea Creative Content Agency, Korea Internet Game Addiction Survey. 2015.
- Wonkyung Kim, "Exploring psychological and ecological factors on game addiction of Korean youth." Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 35, pp. 163-185, 2016.
- Sung-Il Yun, Hong-Seon An & Seok-Won Oh, "The influence of the attachment of parents and the stress of school life middle-school students to the Internet game addiction." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 221-227, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.7.221
- Yoon Sun Oh, "The Impact of Internet game addiction on the melancholy, offensiveness, and self-esteem of adolescents." Korean Journal of Youth Facility and Environment, Vol. 6, No, 4, pp. 3-15, 2008.
- Dong-Hun Lee, Yeon-Joo Song & Hong-Seok Kin, "Mediating Effects of Anxiety and Social Skills on the Relation between ADHD symptoms and Disposition of Internet Addiction in Elementary School Students." The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 421-440, 2012.
- Jungeun Lee & Sung-man Bae, "Casual relation among interpersonal relationship satisfaction, internet game addiction, and emotional problems in early adolescents." The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.687-701, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2015.20.3.011
- Jung Yeon Chan, "Study on adolescent gambling behavior : evaluating the SOGS-RA and identifying influential factors." Mental Health Social Work, vol.37, pp. 348-381, 2011.
- R. A. Davis, "A cognitive-behavioral model of pathological Internet use", Computers in Human Behavior," Vol.17, No.2, pp.187-195, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(00)00041-8
- Jeeyoung Lim, "Relationship between Middle School Boys' Game Addiction and Anger Behavior: Focused on the Mediation effects of Irrational Belief." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 227-236, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.04.227
- Eun Jung Hyeon & Kay Hyun Kim, "THe differences of Social support, self-discrepancy, and escape from the self according to the level of addiction and engagement in internet gaming of adolescents." The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 229-246, 2015.
- J. P. Charlton and I. D. W. Danforth, "Distinguishing addiction and high engagement in the context of online game playing," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.23, No3, pp.1531-1548, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2005.07.002
- Hyun-Sook Kwon, "A Study on the Developmental Steps of Adolescent Gaming Addiction according to the Level of Engagement and Addiction : Separating Steps through Latent Class Analysis and the Role of Related Variables." Master's Thesis, Kwangwoon University, 2015.
- Ki-Won Jang & Jang-Han Lee, "Development and Validation of the Korean Version of the Game Addiction/Engagement Scale (K-GAES)." The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 517-527, 2007.
- American Psychological Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-Fifth Edition(DSM-5), Washington DC: Author, 2013.
- Youjung Kim, "Development of adolescent internet game addiction scale and psychosocial vulnerability factors of Internet game addiction." Master's Thesis, Ajou University, 2002.
- Hyung-Cho Lee & Chang-Il Ahn, "Development of the Internet Game Diagnostic Scale." The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 211-239, 2002.
- Jae Hwan Kwon, "Varification of a Relational Model of Adolescents' Game Addiction, Social Support, and ProblemBahevior." THe Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 675-688, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.675
- M. D. Griffths, "The role of context in online gaming excess," International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, Vol.8, No.1, pp.119-125, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-009-9229-x
- C. D. Spielberger, S. S. Krasner, and E. P. Solomon, The experience, expression, and control of anger. In M. P. Janisse (Ed). Health Psychology: Individual differences and stress, pp.89-108, New York: Springer Verlag, 1988.
- A, H, Buss, and M. Perry, "The aggression Questionnaire," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.63, pp.452-459, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.112
- Hyun-Chun Cho & Geun-Bae Lee, "Validation of the Korean version of Behavioral Anger Response Questionnaire." The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 489-503, 2007.
- W. Linden, B. E. Hogan, T. Rutledge, A. Chawla, J. W. Lenz, and D. Leung, "There is more to anger coping than "In" or "out"," Emotion, Vol.3, No.1, pp.12-29, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/1528-3518.104.22.168
- Sugyun Seo, "Cognitive factors related to anger and their therapeutic implications." Korea Studies Information, 2005.
- A. E. Ellis & R. C. Tafrate, "How to control your anger before it controls you." New York: Citadel Press, 1997.
- Won Kyung Kim, "Exploring psychological and ecological factors on game addiction of Korean youth." Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 35, pp. 163-185, 2016.
- Minyeon Seo & Eunmi Im, "The Relationships among High School Boys' Internet Using Behaviors, Self-Control, Self-Esteem, Aggression and Internet Game Addiction." Journal of Family and Counseling, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 31-47, 2012.
- Man-Je Lee, "Communication Pattern and Problem-solving Ability of the Internet Game Addicts in College Students." Journal of Korea Contesnts Association, Vol. 9, No. 11, pp. 108-119, 2009.
- Sang-Khee Lee, "Positive Addiction of Computer (On-line) Games." Cyber Communication, Vol. 23, pp. 149-181, 2007.
- R. DiGiuseppe, R. Leaf, T. Exner, & M. W. Robin, The development of a measure of rational/irrational thinking, Paper presented at the World Congress of Behavior Therapy, Edinburgh, Scotland, September, 1988.
- P. J. Curran, S. G. West, and J. F. Finch, "The robustness of test statistics to nonnormality and specification error in confirmatory factor analysis," Psychological Methods, Vol.1, pp.16-29, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.1.1.16
- K. D. Neff, "Development amnd validation of a scale to measure self-compassion," Self and Identity, Vol.2, pp.223-250, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298860309027
- Yong-Young Kim and Mi-Hye Kim, "A Study on Social Interaction Factors Influencing on Excessive Online Game Usage," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.1, pp.387-398, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.387
- Sung-Il Yun, Hong-Seon An, and Seok-Won Oh, "The influence of the attachment of parents and the stress of school life middle-school students to the Internet game addiction," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.10, No.7, pp.221-227, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.7.221