- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Artificial Neural Networks Application for the Automatic Detection of Severity of Stator Inter Coil Fault in Three Phase Induction Motor
- Rajamany, Gayatridevi ;
- Srinivasan, Sekar
- Received : 2017.04.09
- Accepted : 2017.07.11
- Published : 2017.11.01
This paper deals with artificial neural network approach for automatic detection of severity level of stator winding fault in induction motor. The problem is faced through modelling and simulation of induction motor with inter coil shorting in stator winding. The sum of the absolute values of difference in the peak values of phase currents from each half cycle has been chosen as the main input to the classifier. Sample values from workspace of Simulink model, which are verified with experiment setup practically, have been imported to neural network architecture. Consideration of a single input extracted from time domain simplifies and advances the fault detection technique. The output of the feed forward back propagation neural network classifies the short circuit fault level of the stator winding.
Stator winding;Modelling;Inter coil short circuit;Severity level;Artificial neural network;Fault detection
- Arabaci. H, Bilgin.O, "The detection of rotor faults by using short time fourier transform", IEEE 15th international conference on signal processing and communications applications, pp. 1-4, June 2007.
- M. Riera-Guasp, Jose A. Antonimo-Daviu, M.Pineda-Sanchez, R. Puche-panadero and J. perez-cruz, "A general approach for the transient detection of slipdependent fault components based on the discrete wavelet transform", IEEE transactions on industrial electronics, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 4167-4180, Dec 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004378
- Mahdi Gordi Armaki and Reza Roshanfekr, "A new approach for fault detection of broken rotor bars in induction motor based on support vector machine", Proceedings of ICEE 2010, May 11-13, 2010.
- Hamdani. S, Touhami. O, Ibtiouen. R, Fadel. M, "Neural network technique for induction motor rotor faults classification-dynamic eccentricity and broken bar faults", IEEE International symposium on diagnostics of electrical machines, Power electronics and drives, pp. 626-631, Sep. 2011.
- Moin Siddiqui, Giri. V.K, "Broken rotor bar fault detection in induction motors using wavelet transform," IEEE International conference on computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- M. Bouzid, G. Champenois, N. Bellaaj, L.Signac, K. Jelassi, "An effective neural approach for the automatic location of stator inter turn faults in induction motor", IEEE Trans. Indust. Electron., vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 4277-4289, December 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004667
- M. Bouzid, N. Bellaaj, K. Jelassi, G. Chapenois, L. Signac, "Location of an inter turns short-circuit fault in the stator windings of Induction motor by Neural network", IEE, IET, The Institute of Engineering and Technology, Colloquium on Reliability in Electromagnetic Systems, Paris, France, 24&25 May 2007.
- M. Bouzid, N. Bellaaj, K.Jelassi, S. Moreau, "Faulty inter turns short circuit phase detector by Neural network", ACIDCA, Tozeur, Tunisia, 5-7 November 2005.
- Carlos Pezzani, Pablo Donolo, Guillermo Bossio, Marcos Donolo, "Detecting broken rotor bars with zero setting protection, 48th industrial and commercial power systems technical conference", IEEE, 2012.
- A. Bellini, F. Immovilli, and C. Tassoni, "Diagnosis of bearing faults in induction machines by vibration or current signals: a critical comparison", in proceedings of the IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting (IAS' 2008), pp. 1-8, Edmonton, Canada, 2008.
- L. Frosini, E. Bassi, "Stator current and motor efficiency as indicators for different types of bearing faults in induction motors", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 244-251, 2010.
- Neerukonda Rama Devi, Dhanikonda V.S.S. Siva Sarma, Pulipaka V. Ramana Rao, "Detection of stator incipient faults and identification of faulty phase in three -phase induction motor -simulation and experimental verification", IET Electric Power Applications, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 540-548, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2015.0024
- L. Frosini, A. Borin, L. Girometta, G. Venchi, "Development of a leakage flux measurement system of condition monitoring of electrical drives", in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Elctric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives (SDEMPED'2011), pp.356-363, Bologna, Italy, 2011.
- C. Harisca, L. Szabo, L. Frosini, A. Albini, "Diagnosis of rolling bearing faults in electric machines through stray magnetic flux monitoring", in Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Advanced Topics in Electrical Engineering (ATEE'2013), Bucuresti, Romania, 2013.
- O. Vitek, M. Janda, V. Hajek, P. Bauer, "Detection of eccentricity and bearing faults using stray flux monitoring", in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Elctric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives (SDEMPED'2011), pp. 356-363, Bologna, Italy, 2011.
- Qing Wu and Subhasis Nandi, "Fast Single-Turn Sensitive stator Inter turn fault detection of Induction machines based on positive and negative sequence third harmonic components of line currents", IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 974-983, May/June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2045329
- F. Briz, M.W. Degner, J.M. Guerrero and Garcia, "Stator windings fault diagnostics of induction machines operated from inverters and soft- starters using High frequency negative sequence currents", IEEE Trans. Indu. Appl., vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1637- 1646, September/October 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2027198
- M. Bouzid, G.Champenois, P. Rogeon, "A novel reliable indicator of stator winding fault in induction motor extracted from the symmetrical components", ISIE 2011, 20th IEEE International Symposium on industrial electronics, 27-30, Gdansk, Poland, June 2011.
- V. Fernao Pires, Daniel Foito, J. F. Martins and A. J. Pires, "Detection of stator winding fault in induction motors using a motor square current signature analysis (MSCSA)'', IEEE 5th International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives (POWERENG), 2015.
- M. Seera, C.P. Lim, D. Ishak, and H. Singh, "Fault detection and diagnosis of induction motors using motor current signature analysis and a hybrid fmmcart model'', Neural Networks and Learning Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 97-108, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNNLS.2011.2178443
- W.F. Godoy, I.N. da Silva, A. Goedtel, R.H.C. Palacios, W.S. Gongora," Neural Approach for bearing Fault Classification in Induction Motors by Using motor Current and Voltage", International jpint conference on neural networks(IJCNN), July 2014, Beijing,China.
- W.Y. Chen, J.X. Xu, S.K. Panda, "Application of artificial intelligence techniques to the study of machine signatures", in Proceedings of the XX IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM' 2012), pp.2390-2396,Marseille(France), 2012.
- B.K.N. Rao, P. Pai Srinivasa, T.N. Nagabhushana, "Failure diagnosis and prognosis of rolling-element bearings using Artificial Neural Network: A critical overview", in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2012.
- K. Bacha, H. Henao, M. Gossa, G. A. Capolino, "Induction machine fault detection using stary flux EMF measurement and neural network-based decision", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 1247-1255, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2007.10.006
- T. Boukra, A. Lebaroud, G. Clerc, "Statistical and neural network approaches for the classification of induction machine faults using the ambiguity plane representation", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 4034-4042, 2013.
- S. Guedidi, S.E. Zouzou, W. Laala, M. Sahraoui and K. Yahia, "Broken bar fault diagnosis of induction motors using MCSA and Neural network", 8th IEEE Symposium on Diagnostics for Electrical Machines Power Electronics Drives, no. 1, pp. 632-637, 2011.
- S. Sapna, A. Tamilarasi, M.P. Kumar, "Backpropagation learning algorithm based on Levenberg Marquardt Algorithm", Computer Science and information Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 393-398, 2013.
- Atila Girao de Oliveria, Richardo Silva The Pontes, Claudio marques de Sa Medeiros, "Neural network used to stator winding interturn short-circuit fault detection in an induction motor driven by frequency converter", IEEE Computer Society, BRICS Congress on Computational Intelligence & Brazilian Congress on Computational Intelligence, pp. 459-464, 2013.
- J. Amini, "Optimum learning rate in back-propagation neural network for classification of satellite image (IRS-ID)", Scientia Iranica, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 558-567, 2008.
- Ciprian harlisca,Ilhem Bouchareb,Lucia Frosini, Lorand Szabo, "Induction machine bearing faults detection based on Artificial neural network", 14th IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Informatics, Budapest, Hungary, 19-21, Nov. 2013.