- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Island Partition for Distribution System with Renewable Energy to Decrease Customer Interruption Cost
- Zhu, Junpeng ;
- Gu, Wei ;
- Jiang, Ping ;
- Song, Shan ;
- Liu, Haitao ;
- Liang, Huishi ;
- Wu, Ming
- Received : 2016.10.01
- Accepted : 2017.07.18
- Published : 2017.11.01
When a failure occurs in active distribution system, it will be isolated through the action of circuit breakers and sectionalizing switches. As a result, the network might be divided into several connected components, in which distributed generations could supply power for customers. Aimed at decreasing customer interruption cost, this paper proposes a theoretically optimal island partition model for such connected components, and a simplified but more practical model is also derived. The model aims to calculate a dynamic island partition schedule during the failure recovery time period, instead of a static islanding status. Fluctuation and stochastic characteristics of the renewable distributed generations and loads are considered, and the interruption cost functions of the loads are fitted. To solve the optimization model, a heuristic search algorithm based on the hill climbing method is proposed. The effectiveness of the proposed model and algorithm is evaluated by comparing with an existing static island partitioning model and intelligent algorithms, respectively.
Customer interruption cost;Distributed generation;Heuristic optimization;Island partition;Renewable energy
- R. Caldon, A. Stocco, and R. Turri, "Feasible of adaptive intentional islanding operation of electric utility systems with distributed generation," Electric Power System Research, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 2017-2023, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.06.007
- S.H. Lee, G. Son, and J.W. Park, "Power Management and Control for Grid-Connected DGs with Intentional Islanding Operation of Inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1235-1244, May 2013.
- I. J. Balaguer, Q. Lei, S. Yang, U. Supatti, and F. Peng, "Control for Grid-Connected and Intentional Islanding Operations of Distributed Power Generation," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 147-157, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049709
- T. M. L. Assis and G. N. Taranto, "Automatic Reconnection from Intentional Islanding Based on Remote Sensing of Voltage and Frequency Signals," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1877-1884, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2191579
- H. Farzin, M. Moeini-Aghtaie and M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, "A hierarchical scheme for outage management in multi-microgrids," International Trans. Electrical Energy Systems, vol. 26, no. 9, Sept. 2016.
- A Khodaei, "Microgrid Optimal Scheduling With Multi-Period Islanding Constraints," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1383-1392, May. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2290006
- M. Zhang and J. Chen, "Islanding and Scheduling of Power Distribution Systems With Distributed Generation," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 3120-3129, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2382564
- J. Vasiljevska, J. A. Pegas Lopes and M. A. Matos, "Evaluating the impacts of the multi-microgrid concept using multicriteria decision aid," Electric Power System Research, vol. 91, pp. 44-51, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2012.04.013
- P. Fuangfoo, W. Lee and M. Kuo, "Impact Study on Intentional Islanding of Distributed Generation Connected to Radial Subtransmission System in Thailand's Electric Power System," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1491-1498, Nov./Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.908184
- S. Conti, S.A. Rizzo, E.F. El-Saadany, M. Essam and Y.M. Atwa, "Reliability Assessment of Distribution Systems Considering Telecontrolled Switches and Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 598-607, Mar. 2014.
- M. Al-Muhaini and G.T. Heydt, "Evaluating Future Power Distribution System Reliability Including Distributed Generation," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 2264-2272, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2253808
- E. Ghiani, S. Mocci and F. Pilo, "Optimal reconfiguration of distribution networks according to the microgrid paradigm", in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Future Power Systems, pp. 1-6, 2005.
- S.A. Arefifar, Y.A.R. Mohamed and T.H. EL-Fouly, "Optimum Microgrid Design for Enhancing Reliability and Supply-Security," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1567-1575, Sept. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2259854
- Y. Mao and K.N. Miu, "Switch placement to improve system reliability for radial distribution systems with distributed generation," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1346-1352, Nov. 2003.
- J, Lin and X. Wang, "Two-stage method for optimal island partition of distribution system with distributed generations," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 218-225, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2010.0812
- Y. Lu, X. Yi, J. Wu and X. Lin, "An intelligent islanding technique considering load balance for distribution system with DGs," in Proceedings of IEEE PES GM 2016, pp.5-9, 2016.
- L. Ding, Z. Pan, W. Cong and G. Gao, "Rooted Tree Based Searching Strategies for Intentional Islanding of Distributed Generation," in Proceedings of IET 9th International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection, pp. 302-307, 2008
- G. Toleffson, G. Wacker and R. Billinton, "NSERC customer cost of interruption study - Preliminary results," CEA Trans., vol. 31, 1992.
- R. Billinton, G. Wacker, G. Tollefson, J. Aweya and E. Chan, "Customer requirements for electric service reliability: An NSERC study," CEA Trans., vol. 32, 1993.
- A.A. Chowdhury and D.O. Koval, "Application of customer interruption costs in transmission network reliability planning," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1590-1596, Nov./Dec. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.968165
- L. Goel, V. P. Aparna and P. Wang, "A Framework to Implement Supply and Demand Side Contingency Management in Reliability Assessment of Restructured Power Systems," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 205-212, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.887962
- P. Wang, Y. Ding and L. Goel, "Reliability Assessment of Restructured Power Systems Using Optimal Load Shedding Technique," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 628-640, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2008.0308
- Y. Ding, M. Xie, Q. Wu and J. 0stergaard, "Development of Energy and Reserve Pre-dispatch and Re-dispatch Models for Real-time Price Risk and Reliability Assessment," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1338-1345, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2013.0822
- P. Wang and R. Billinton, "Optimum load-shedding technique to reduce the total customer interruption cost in a distribution system," IEE Proc. Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 51-56, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20000002
- P. Wang; Y. Ding and Y. Xiao, "Technique to evaluate nodal reliability indices and nodal prices of restructured power systems," IET Proc.- Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 390-396, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20041250
- A. Kavousi-Fard and T. Niknam, "Optimal Distribution Feeder Reconfiguration for Reliability Improvement Considering Uncertainty," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1344-1353, June 2014.
- J. M. Harris, J. L. Hirst and M. J. Mossinghoff, Combinatorics and graph theory, Springer, vol. 2, 2008.
- S. Wilcox, "The 1991-2005 National Solar Radiation Data Base (NSRDB)," National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), May 2007.
- T.A. Nguyen, M.L. Crow and A.C. Elmore, "Optimal Sizing of a Vanadium Redox Battery System for Microgrid Systems," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 729-737, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2404780
- R. N. Allan, R. Billinton, I. Sjarief, L. Goel and K. S. So, "A Reliability Test System for Educational Purpose - Basic Distribution System Data and Results," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 813-820, May 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.76730
Supported by : National Science Foundation of China, State Grid Corporation of China