- Volume 9 Issue 3
The purpose of this study is to prove the Korean Internet company, Kakao's resilience capacity. For it, this paper reviews the previous literatures regarding Kakao's business models and discusses 'resilience' theory. Then, it organizes the research questions based on the theoretical background and explains the research methodology. It investigates the case of Kakao's business and organization. The case analysis shows that five levers of resilience are a good indicator for a successful platform business evolution. The five levers are composed of coordination, cooperation, clout, capability, and connection: First lever, coordination that makes the company to restructure its silo governance in order to respond to actual business flow starting from the basic asset like game and music content; second lever, cooperation where the firm provides creative people with playground for startups such as KakaoPage; third lever, clout where the company shares its data by opening its API of AI and chatbot to
Grant : Development of TII (Trusted Information Infrastructure) S/W Framework for Realizing Trustworthy IoT Eco-system
Supported by : Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion(IITP)
- Samjung KPMG, Resilience, Samjung Insight, Issue 44, 2016.
- H.S. Chung, "The Evolution of Korean Social Network Service focusing on the Case of Kakao Talk," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No.10, pp. 147-154, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.10.147
- J.H. Han and O.J. Cho, "Platform business Eco-model evolution: case study on KakaoTalk in Korea," Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, Vol. 1, No. 6, pp. 1-14, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40852-015-0002-z
- D.W. Kim, "Effects of Taxi-service Employing O2O on Consumer Welfare - Focusing on KaKaoTaxi," Korean Management Research(KMR), Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 503-525, April 2017. https://doi.org/10.17287/kmr.2017.46.2.503
- S.M. Southwick et al., "Resilience definition, theory, and challenges: interdisciplinary perspectives," European Journal of Psychotraumatology, proceeding paper, from plenary panel at the 2013 meeting of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies 2014.
- M. Ungar (ed.), The Social Ecology of Resilience: A Handbook of Theory and Practice, Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012.
- C.D. Raab, R. Jones, and I. Szekely, "Surveillance and Resilience in Theory and Practice," Media and Communication, Vol. 3, Issue 2, pp.21-41, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17645/mac.v3i2.220
- R. Gulati, Reorganize for resilience : putting customers at the center of your business, Boston, Mass. : Harvard Business Press, pp. 2009.
- M. Hocknell, The Five Tenets of the Customer Centric Approach to Business, Dec 2, 2016, http://customerthink.com/the-five-tenets-of-the-customer-centric-approach-to-business/#.
- Kakao, Investor Relation, Nov. 2016.
- S.W. Yang, "Streaming services: The future is now in Korea," Samsung Securities, July 24, 2017.
- J.H. Moon, "Internet platform revolution," Industry report, Mirae Asset, April 5, 2017.
- M.J. Lee, "Kakao," Shinhan Investment Corp., August 11, 2017.