- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Fire Needling Therapy in Patients with a Vertebral Compression Fracture: A Report of Three Cases
가열식 화침을 이용한 척추 압박골절 환자 증례보고
- Kim, Tae-Ryeong (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Kim, Young-Jun (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Woo, Chang-Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University)
- Received : 2017.09.14
- Accepted : 2017.10.10
- Published : 2017.10.31
The purpose of this study is to report the effectiveness of Fire needling therapy in patients with a vertebral compression fracture. Three patients with a acute vertebral compression fracture were treated using Fire needling therapy. To evaluate the effectiveness of Fire needling therapy, we checked Numerical rating scale on a daily and Oswestry disability index on admission and discharge. Numerical rating scale decreased as the number of Fire needling therapy increased. Oswestry disability index on discharge improved compared to admission. The limitation of this study is the insufficient number of cases and outcome measurements. Further studies are needed to prove effect and safety.
Vertebral compression fracture;Fire needling therapy;Numerical rating scale;Oswestry disability index
- Han TR, Bang MS, Jeong SG. Rehabilitation Medicine 5th. Koonja Publishing INC. 2014;176, 981, 1191-2.
- Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine 4th. Koonja Publishing INC. 2015;74.
- Kim DE, Kim JH, Joung JS, Yu SA, Cho SW. A Review of Recent Studies for Treatment of Compression Fracture Using CNKI Database. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2017;27(3):1-12.
- Choi HJ. Huangdi's Internal Classic Plain Questions. Ja-Yu Bookstore. 2004;125.
- Kim HJ. Recent advances Acupuncture and Moxibustion. Seongbo INC. 2000;211-3.
- An SS, Heo DS. The Clinical Effects of Heating-Conduction Acupuncture Therapy for Anterior Talofibular and Calcaneofibular Ligament InjuryInduced by Acute Ankle Sprain. JORM. 2010;20(3):119-29.
- Jang HK, Hong KE, An SS, Heo DS. The Clinical Effects of Heating-Conduction Acupuncture Therapy for Lumbago Induced by Iliolumbar Ligament Sprain. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2010;20(3):109-17.
- Kim HS, Hong SY, Oh MS. The Effect of Burning Acupuncture Therapy on the Sacroiliac Joint Syndrome. The Journal of Daejeon Oriental Medicine. 2007;16(1): 133-8.
- An SS, Jang HK, Heo DS. The Clinical Effects of Heating-Conduction Acupuncture Therapy(tentatively called) for Anterior Talofibular Ligament Injury Induced by Acute Ankle Sprain. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2009;19(4):127-34
- Ko KM, Kim JS, Lee BH, Jung TY, Lim SC, Lee KM. A Clinical Study on the Case of Medial Collateral Ligament Injury Treated with Burning Acupuncture Therapy. The Journal of East-West Medicines. 2009;34(1):25-32.
- Han SH, Lee JS. A Case Report on Burning Acupuncture Treatments for Stable Compression Fracture. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine. 2002;3(1):167-74.
- Yeon SH, Lee SB, Kwon OS, Cho SJ, Choi KH, Lee SH, Choi SM, Ryu YH. The Safety Assessment of Fire needling. Korean Journal of Oriental Medicine. 2012; 18(3):103-10.
- The Statistics Korea."hospitalization high frequency insurance trend classificated by disease group(2011-2015_Korean medicine total)" vailable from: URL: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action
- The Korean Orthopaedics Association. Orthopaedics 7th. Choisin Medical Publishing Co. 2013. p1394.
- Koh YD, Kim DJ. Pain Relief and Associated Factors after a Kyphoplasty for Treating an Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fracture. Journal of Trauma and Injury. 2014;27(4):186-91.
- Holdsworth F. Fractures, dislocations, and fracture-dislocations of spine. The journal of bone and joint surgery. 1970;52(8):1534-51. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197052080-00002
- Defino HL, Canto FR. Low thoracic and lumbar burstfractures: Radiographic and functional outcomes. Eur Spine J. 2007;16:1934-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-007-0406-y
- Denis F. The three column spine and its significance in the classification of acute thoracolumbar spinal injuries. Spine. 1983;8:817-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198311000-00003
- James KS, Wenger KH, Schlegel JD, Dunn HK. Biomechanical evaluation of the stability of thoracolumbar burst fractures. Spine. 1994;19:1731-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199408000-00013
- McAfee PC, Yuan HA, Lasda NA. The unstable burst fracture. Spine. 1982;7:365-73. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198207000-00007
- McCormack T, Karaikovic E, Gaines RW. The load sharing classification of spine fractures. Spine. 1994;19: 1741-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199408000-00014
- CHO YJ. Relationships between Radiological Change of Fractured Vertebrae and Posterior Ligament Complex Injury in Thoracolumbar Fracture. Kor J Spine. 2008; 5(2):65-9.
- Shin YS, Woo SJ, Lim SI, Lim JY, Kim CH, Kim DH. A study of Literature review on the. THE ACUPUNCTURE. 2003;20(4):192-208.
- Oh SG. Treatment of ligament, tendon injury using Deep Fire needling therapy. 2009 Korean medicine conference. 2009;84-7.