- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A report of 11 unrecorded bacterial species in Korea, isolated from Hapcheonho Lake and Jinyangho Lake
- Lee, Jae Kook (Institute for Biomaterials, Korea University) ;
- Yi, Hana (Department of Public Health Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.11.30
- Accepted : 2017.05.26
- Published : 2017.10.31
In order to investigate the indigenous prokaryotic species diversity of the Nakdong River system in Korea, fresh water samples from Hapcheonho Lake and Jinyangho Lake were analyzed for bacterial taxonomic diversity. The isolated bacterial strains were identified based on 16S rRNA gene sequences, and those exhibiting at least 98.7% sequence similarity with known bacterial species, but never reported in Korea, were selected as unrecorded species. Eleven unrecorded bacterial species were discovered in this study. The isolates were identified as Aquabacterium citratiphilum, Clostridium ghonii, Curvibacter delicates, Deinococcus depolymerans, Eubacterium moniliforme, Flavobacterium nitrogenifigens, Kineosporia mesophila, Luteibacter jiangsuensis, Microbacterium terricola, Rhizobium larrymoorei, and Sediminicoccus rosea belonging to the phyla Actinobacteria, Bacteroidetes, Firmicutes, Proteobacteria and Deinococcus-Thermus. The selected isolates were further characterized for cellular and colonial morphologies, growth conditions, physiological properties, and enzymatic activities. Descriptive information of these previously unrecorded species is also provided.
Grant : Survey of Freshwater Organisms and Specimen Collection (Prokaryotes)
Supported by : Nakdonggang National Institute
- Felsenstein, J. 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783-791. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1985.tb00420.x
- Felsenstein, J. 1993. PHYLIP (phylogenetic inference package) version 3.5c. In. Seattle, USA: Department of Genetics, University of Washington.
- Jeon, Y.S., K. Lee, S.C. Park, B.S. Kim, Y.J. Cho, S.M. Ha and J. Chun. 2014. EzEditor: a versatile sequence alignment editor for both rRNA- and protein-coding genes. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 64:689-691. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.059360-0
- Jukes, T.H. and C.R. Cantor. 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. In Mammalian protein metabolism pp. pp. 21-132. Edited by H.N. Munro. New York: Academic Press.
- Kang, M.-S. and J.-H. Yoon. 2015. National List of Species of Korea [Prokaryotes]: National Institute of Biological Resources.
- Kim, O.S., Y.J. Cho, K. Lee, S.H. Yoon, M. Kim, H. Na, S.C. Park, Y.S. Jeon, J.H. Lee, H. Yi, S. Won and J. Chun. 2012. Introducing EzTaxon-e: a prokaryotic 16S rRNA gene sequence database with phylotypes that represent uncultured species. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62:716-721. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.038075-0
- Lee, M.H., H.S. Choi, D.H. Kim, K.H. Park and H. Kim. 2006. Estimation of water quality changes and characteristics in the Jinyang lake: Institute of Health & Environment Gyeongsangnam-do Province.
- Pedros-Alio, C. 2006. Marine microbial diversity: can it be determined? Trends Microbiol 14:257-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tim.2006.04.007
- Rappe, M.S. and S.J. Giovannoni. 2003. The uncultured microbial majority. Annu Rev Microbiol 57:369-394. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.micro.57.030502.090759
- Saitou, N. and M. Nei. 1987. The neighbor-Joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4:406-425.
- Seong, J.-U., H.-J. Kim and J.-C. Park. 2011. Characteristics of TOC distribution in Lake Hapcheon. J Environ Sci 20:711-719.
- Shin, S.-K., E. Kim, S. Choi and H. Yi. 2016. Cochleicola gelatinilyticus gen. nov., sp. nov., isolated from a marine gastropod, Reichia luteostoma. J Microbiol Biotechnol 26:1439-1445. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1604.04083
- Stewart, E.J. 2012. Growing unculturable bacteria. J Bacteriol 194:4151-4160. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.00345-12
- Tamura, K., G. Stecher, D. Peterson, A. Filipski and S. Kumar. 2013. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol 30:2725-2729. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/mst197
- Whitman, W.B., D.C. Coleman and W.J. Wiebe. 1998. Prokaryotes: The unseen majority. P Natl Acad Sci USA 95:6578-6583. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.12.6578