- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Strategy Practice in the 21st Century Digital Organization: -An Analysis from the Ecological Perspective-
21세기 디지털 조직 전략실천에 대한 생태론적 고찰
- Received : 2017.09.09
- Published : 2017.09.30
It is argued that the strategy practice in the 21st digital organization is limited and constrained in that it is being laregy driven by a traditional positivistic strategic management thinking. This article, drawing upon the models and concepts developed in the field of general ecology, proposes a resilient ecological view of strategy, as an alternative strategy frame of reference for overcoming some of the pitfalls and shortcomings of the current digital strategy practice in the organization. The implications of this new ecological perspective on strategy practice are discussed in detail. The article concludes with discussions and directions for implanting the perspective in the organization.
- Allen, C. R. and Holling, C.S. 2010. "Novelty, adaptive capacity, and resilience." Ecology and Society 15(3): 24.
- Allen, C. R. and Gunderson, L. H., 2011. "Pathology and failure in the design and implementation of adaptive management," Journal of Environmental Management, 92.
- Allen, C. R., Angeler, D. G., Garmestani, A. S., Gunderson, L. H., a nd Holling, C. S., 2014. "Panarchy: Theory and Application," Nebraska Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit - Staff Publications. Paper 127.
- A ndrews, K.R. 1971. The Concepts of Corporate Strategy. Homewood, Ill: DowJones, Irwin.
- Ansoff, H. I., and McDonnell, E. J. 1990. Implanting strategic management, Prentice Hall.
- Ansoff, H. I. 2007. Strategic management, Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Boughin, J., LaBerge, L., and Mellbye, A. 2017. "The Case for Digital Reinvention," McKinsey Quarterly, Feb.
- Burgelman, R. A. 1983. "A Model of the Interaction of Strategic Behavior, Corporate Context, and the Concept of Strategy," Academy of management Review, Vol. 8. No. 1.
- Chander, A.D. Jr. 1966. Strategy and Structure. Garden City, New York: Doubleday.
- Eisenmann, T. R., Parker, G. G., and Van Alstyne, M. W. 2008. "Opening Platforms: How, When and Why?" Harvard Business School Entrepreneurial Management Working Paper, No. 09-030.
- Eisenmann, T. R., Parker, G. G., and Van Alstyne, M. W. 2011. "Platform Envelopment," Strategic Management Journal, 32.
- Garmestani, A. S., Allen, C. R., and Gunderson, L. 2009. "Panarchy: discontinuities reveal similarities in the dynamic system structure of ecological and social systems." Ecology and Society 14(1): 15.
- Hamel, G., and Prahalad, C. K. 1994. Competing for the Future, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Hamel, G., and Prahalad, C. K.1989. "Strategic Intent," Harvard Business Review, May-June.
- Hannan, M. T., Polos, L., and Carroll, G. R. 2004. "The Evolution of inertia," Industrial and Corporate Change, Volume 13, No. 1.
- Hannan, M. T. and Freeman, J. 1977. "The Population Ecology of Organizations," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 82, No. 5.
- Holling, C.S. 1986. "The Resilience of Terrestrial Ecosystems: Local Surprise and Global Change," W. C. Clark and R. E. Munn (eds)., Sustainable development of the biosphere, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Holling, C.S. 2001. "Understanding the complexity of economic, ecological, and social systems," Ecosystems, 4.
- Holling, C.S. 2004. "From Complex Regions to Complex Worlds," Ecology and Society, 9(1): 11.
- Hurst, D. K., and Zimmerman, B. J. 1994. "From Life Cycle to Ecocycle: A New Perspective on the Growth, Maturity, Destruction and Renewal of Complex Systems," Journal of Management Inquiry, Vol 3. NO. 4.
- Hurst, D. K. 1995. "Ethical Anarchy in Mature Organizations," Business Quarterly, Winter.
- Iansiti, M. and Levien, R. 2004. "Strategy as ecology," Harvard Business Review, Mar.
- Kane, G. C. 2017. "'Digital Transformation' Is a Misnomer," Sloan Management Review, Aug.
- Kania, J., and Kramer, M. 2011. "Collective Impact," Stanford Social Innovation Review, Winter.
- Kanter, R. M. 2012. "Enriching the Ecosystem: A Four-point Plan for Linking Innovation, Enterprises, and Jobs," Harvard Business Review, March.
- March, J. G. 1991. "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science, Vol. 2, No. 1.
- McKinsey, 2014. "The Digital Tipping Point: McKinsey Global Survey Results," McKinsey Report, June.
- Mintzberg, H., Lampel, J., and Ahlstrand, B. 1998. Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management, New York: The Free Press.
- Morgan, G. 2006. Images of organization, SAGE Publications.
- Nystrom, M., and Folke, C. 2001. "Spatial Resilience of Coral Reefs," Ecosystems, 2001(4)
- Porter, M. E. 1980. Competitive Strategy, New York: The Free Press.
- Porter, M. E. 1996. "What is Strategy?" Harvard Business Review, Nov-Dec.
- Porter, M. E., and Kramer, M. R. 2011. "Creating Shared Value: How to reinvent capitalism and unleash a wave of innovation and growth," Harvard Business Review, Jan-Feb.
- Porter, M. E., and Heppelmann, J. E. 2014. "How Smart Connected Products Are Transforming Competition," Harvard Business Review, Nov.
- Reeves, M., Levin, S., and Ueda, D. 2016. "The Biology of Corporate Survival: Natural ecosystems hold surprising lessons for business," Harvard Business Review, Jan.-Feb.
- Ross, J. W., Weill, P., and Robertson, D. C. 2006. Enterprise Architecture as Strategy: Creating a Foundation for Business Execution, Boston: Harvard Business Press.
- Van Alstyne, M. W., Parker, G. G., and Choudary, S. P. 2016. "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy," Harvard Business Review, Apr.
- Vanhaverbeke, W., and Chesbrough, H. 2014. "A Classification of Open Innovation and Open Business Models," Chesbrough, H., Vanhaverbeke, W. and Joel West (ed)., New Frontiers in Open Innovation, Oxford University Press.
- Walker, B., Holling, C. S., Carpenter, S. R., and Kinzig, A. 2004. "Resilience, adaptability and transformability in social-ecological systems." Ecology and Society 9(2): 5.
- Westley, F., and Antadze, N. 2010. "Making a Difference: Strategies for Scaling Social Innovation for Greater Impact," The Innovation Journal: The Public Sector Innovation Journal, Vol. 15(2).