- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Virtuality as a Psychological Distance and Temporal Distance: Focusing on the Effect of Product Information Type on Product Attitude
심리적 거리로서의 가상성과 시간적 거리: 제품 정보 유형의 제품 태도에 미치는 효과를 중심으로
- 박도형 (국민대학교 경영대학/비즈니스IT 전문대학원)
- Received : 2017.08.01
- Published : 2017.09.30
Recent advances in technology are evolving to enable individuals to perform various activities necessary for their lives, without being constrained by physical, temporal, and spatial constraints. The online services and experiences that originated from solving the discomfort in the actual offline space have created the newness that can only be experienced in the digital world and furthermore uniquely new experiences in actual space as well. While many previous studies have suggested several interpretations of unique individual behaviors in virtual environments, a recent research approaches virtuality as an interesting perspective of the change of thinking style. Virtuality is defined as how far apart we are from everyday reality, and if the individual faces a situation far from reality, the psychological distance of the individual becomes distant and ultimately leads to the thinking style of high construal level. Otherwise, it is said to have a relatively low construal level of thinking style. In this study, I try to confirm the virtual distance as the role of psychological distance in new virtual contexts. Simultaneously considering temporal distance, which are most used in psychological distance, and virtual distance based on virtuality, this study tries to find whether the effect of virtual distance on product attitude is the same as that of temporal distance and check the relationship between virtual distance and temporal distance in the context of consumers' product evaluations depending on product information type.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 박도형. 2014. "온라인 커뮤니티 특성, 커뮤니티 멤버 특성, 개인 특성이 잠복관찰 활동에 미치는 영향: 왜 사람들은 쓰지 않고 읽기만 하는가?" 인터넷정보학회논문지 (15:1), pp. 73-88. https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2014.15.1.73
- 박도형. 2017. "심리적 거리로서의 가상성: 가상성에 따른 광고메시지 전략," Journal of Information Technology Applications and Management (24:2), pp. 39-54. https://doi.org/10.21219/jitam.2017.24.2.039
- 박도형, 이동원, and 정재권. 2016. "규범적 기대와 예언적 기대가 소비자 만족에 미치는 영향," 한국산학기술학회 논문지 (17:7), pp. 245-255.
- 박도형, and 정재권. 2014. "조절일치가 소비자 제품 태도에 미치는 영향: - 광고 조절일치 vs. 소비자 후기 조절일치," e-비즈니스연구 (15:4), pp. 127-148.
- 전승표, and 박도형. 2013. "웹검색 트래픽 정보를 활용한 지능형 브랜드 포지셔닝 시스템," 지능정보연구 (19:3), pp. 93-111. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.3.093
- 정재권, and 박도형. 2013. "자기조절초점에 따른 온라인 제품 리뷰의 효과에 관한 연구," e-비즈니스연구 (14:3), pp. 77-93.
- Azuma, R. T. 1997. "A survey of augmented reality," Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments (6:4), pp. 355-385. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.19184.108.40.2065
- Butler, B. S. 2001. "Membership size, communication activity, and sustainability: a resource-based model of online social structures," Information Systems Research (12:4), pp. 346-362. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.12.4.346.9703
- Chiu, C. M., Hsu, M. H., and Wang, T. G. 2006. "Understanding knowledge sharing in virtual communities: an integration of social capital and social cognitive theories," Decision Support Systems (42:3), p p. 1872-1888. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2006.04.001
- Cho, D., Kim, S., and Acquisti, A. 2012. "Empirical analysis of online anonymity and user behaviors: the impact of real name policy," In Proceedings of Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, US, pp. 3041-3050.
- DeAndrea, D. C., Tong, S. T., and Walther, J. B. 2011. "Dark sides of computer-mediated communication," In The Dark Side of Close Relationships II, W. R. Cupach and B. H. Spitzberg (eds.), New York: Routledge, pp. 95-118.
- Grosz, E. 2002. "Architecture from the outside," Essays on Virtual and Real Space, Boston: MIT Press.
- Jarvenpaa, S., Knoll, K., and Leidner, D. 1998. "Is anybody out there? Antecedents of trust in global virtual teams," Journal of Management Information Systems (14:4), pp. 29-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1998.11518185
- Hagel, J., III, and Armstrong, A. G. 1997. Net Gain: Expanding Market through Virtual Communities. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Hamilton, R. W., and Thompson, D. V. 2007. "Is there a substitute for direct experience? Comparing consumers' preferences after direct and indirect product experiences," Journal of Consumer Research (34:4), pp. 546-555. https://doi.org/10.1086/520073
- Higgins, E. T. 1987. "Self-discrepancy: a theory relating self and affect," Psychological Review (94:3), pp. 319-340. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.94.3.319
- Jun, S. P., Jun, S. P., Park, D. H., and Park, D. H. 2017. "Visualization of brand positioning based on consumer web search information: Using social network analysis," Internet Research (27:2), pp. 381-407. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-02-2016-0037
- Kim, K., Hong, D., Lee, Y., and Woo, W. 2007. "Realization of u-Contents: u-Realism, u-Mobility and u-Intelligence," In Proceedings of International Symposium on Ubiquitous Virtual Reality, Gwangju, Korea.
- Kim, Y. S., Park, D. H., and Park, S. B. 2015. "Tariff choice of online contents based on usage goal and self-control: can I control myself?" Internet Research (25:5), pp. 852-867. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-01-2014-0029
- Krueger, M. 1991. Artificial Reality II, MA: Addison-Wesley Professional.
- Lea, N., O'Sjea, T., Fung, P., and Spears, R. 1992. "Flaming in computer-mediated communication," In Contexts in Computer-Mediated Communication, M. Lea (ed.), London: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
- Lee, S., Park, D. H., and Han, I. 2014. "New members' online socialization in online communities: The effects of content quality and feedback on new members' contentsharing intentions," Computers in Human Behavior (30), pp. 344-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.09.015
- Lee, J., Shin, K.-S., and Suh, A. 2011. "The inf luence of self-discrepancy in virtual and cross worlds on individuals' activities in online communities," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies (16:3), pp. 23-45. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2011.16.3.023
- Lim, Y. 2012, "A study on expressing the identity in the virtual world through portrait of reality avatar," Journal of Digital Design (12:4), pp. 387-396. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2012.12.4.036
- Mowshowitz, A. 1997. "Virtual organization," Communications of the ACM ( 40:9), pp. 30-37.
- Park, D.-H., and Kim, S. 2009. "The effects of consumer knowledge on message processing of electronic word-of-mouth via online consumer reviews," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (7:4), pp. 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.12.001
- Park, D. H., and Lee, J. 2008. "eWOM overload a nd its ef fec t on consumer behavioral intention depending on consumer involvement," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (7:4), pp. 386-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.11.004
- Park, D. H., Lee, J., and Han, I. 2007. "The effect of on-line consumer reviews on consumer purchasing intention: The moderating role of involvement," International Journal of Electronic Commerce (11:4), pp. 125-148. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415110405
- Park, S. B., and Park, D. H. 2013. "The effect of low-versus high-variance in product reviews on product evaluation," Psychology and Marketing (30:7), pp. 543-554. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20626
- Peter, P. J. and Olson, J. C. 2002. Consumer Behavior and Marketing Strategy, Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill.
- Poster, M. 2001. "Theorizing the virtual: Baudrillard and Derrida," What's the Matter with the Internet, Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota Press.
- Suh, A. 2012. "The factors affecting individuals' flaming behavior in virtual communities: theoretical exploration and empirical analysis," The e-Business Studies (13:1), pp. 89-114. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.13.1.201203.89
- Thompson, D. V., Hamilton, R. W., and Petrova, P. K. 2009. "When mental simulation hinders behavior: the effects of process-oriented thinking on decision difficulty and performance," Journal of Consumer Research (36:4), pp. 562-574. https://doi.org/10.1086/599325
- Trope, Y., and Liberman, N. 2010. "Construal level theory of psychological distance," Psychological Review (117:2), pp. 440-463. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Walvoord, A. A., Redden, E. R., Elliott, L. R., and Coovert, M. D. 2008. "Empowering followers invirtual teams: guiding principles from theory and practice," Computers in Human Behavior (24:5), pp. 1884-1906. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.02.006
- Wasko, M. M., and Faraj, S. 2005. "Why should I share? Examining social capital and knowledge contribution in electronic networks of practice," MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 35-57. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- Zhao, M., Hoeffler, S., and Zauberman, G. 2007. "Mental simulation and preference consistency over time: the role of processversus outcome-focused thoughts," Journal of Marketing Research (44:3), pp. 379-388. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.44.3.379
- Zigurs, I. 2003. "Leadership in virtual team: oxymoron or opportunity?" Organizational Dynamics (31:4), pp. 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(02)00132-8