- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Information Suppression and Projection Strategies Depending on Personality Traits: Using Social media for Impression Management
사용자의 성격에 따른 정보의 통제와 투사 전략: 인상관리를 위한 소셜미디어의 활용
- Received : 2017.07.14
- Published : 2017.09.30
As social media started to work as important communication tools, social media users have tried to manage their image, identity, and impression through social media. Social media service providers have been interested in providing various functions effectively disclosing users' emotion, such as posting, commenting, and sharing content; on the other hand, relatively few efforts have been made to provide social media functions for information suppression. In this study, therefore, we attempt to examine the relationship between Facebook users' personality and impression management behaviors. Personal traits of users including public self-consciousness, positive self-expression, and honest self-expression were considered as independent variables. Impression management behaviors are composed of two variables, which are suppression and projection. The survey was conducted, targeting 230 Facebook users. The research findings show that public self-consciousness and positive self-expression are positively associated with information suppression while both positive and honest self-expression is positively associated with information projection.
- Choi, J. W., Park, Y. J., and Kim, K. K. 2014. "The Determinants of Users' Intent for Continuous Use of Facebook Fan Pages," Korean Jouranl of Business Administration(대한경영학회), (27:4), pp. 525-545.
- Choi S., and Um, I. Y. 2006. "Impression Management and Information Control in "Cyworld"," Information Society & Media(정보와 사회), (10), pp. 1-30.
- Kwon, S. J., and Ko, D. W. 2013. "Fun Evolution Model for Social Network Services (SNS)," Knowledge Management Research(지식경영연구), (14:5): pp. 151-176
- Lee, S. H., Han, J., Hong, K. H. 2014. "Presentation of Self and Impression Management in Facebook," Society Theory(사회이론), (46), pp. 293-335.
- Ma, E. J., Han, S. Y., and Bae S. J. 2013. "The Effect of Self-Presentation on SNS to Interpersonal Relation and Intention to Use," Knowledge Management Research(지식경영연구), (14:2), pp. 25-48
- Carver, M. 1985. "The Self-Consciousness Scale: A Revised Version for Use with General Populations," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, (15:8), pp. 687-699. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1985.tb02268.x
- Caspi, A., Roberts, B. W., Pervin, L. A., and John, O. P. 1990. "Personality Continuity and Change across the Life Course," Handbook of Personality Theory and Research, (2), pp. 300-326.
- Fornell, C., and Larcker, D. F. 1981. "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, (18:1), pp. 39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Gefen, D., D. Straub, and M.C. Boudreau, 2000. "Structural Equation Modeling and Regression: Guidelines for Research Practice," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, pp. 2-76.
- Goffman, E. 1959. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, New York: Anchor Books.
- Gonzales, A. L., and Hancock, J. T. 2011. "Mirror, Mirror on My Facebook Wall: Effects of Exposure to Facebook on Self-Esteem," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (14:1-2), pp. 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0411
- Hall, J. A., and Pennington, N. 2013. "Self-Monitoring, Honesty, and Cue Use on Facebook: The Relationship with User Extraversion and Conscientiousness," Computers in Human Behavior, (29:4), pp. 1556-1564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.01.001
- Hollenbaugh, E. E., and Ferris, A. L. 2014. "Facebook Self-Disclosure: Examining the Role of Traits, Social Cohesion, and Motives," Computers in Human Behavior, (30), pp. 50-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.07.055
- Kim, J., and Lee, J.-E. R. 2011. "The Facebook Paths To Happiness: Effects of the Number of Facebook Friends and Self-Presentation on Subjective Well-Being," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (14:6), pp. 359-364. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2010.0374
- Kuo, F. Y., Tseng, C. Y., Tseng, F. C., and Lin, C. S. 2013. "A Study of Social Information Control Affordances and Gender Difference in Facebook Self-Presentation," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (16:9), pp. 635-644. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0345
- Lang, C., and Barton, H. 2015. "Just Untag It: Exploring the Management of Undesirable Facebook Photos," Computers in Human Behavior, (430), pp. 147-155.
- Lee, G., Lee, J., and Kwon, S. 2011. "Use of Social-Networking Sites and Subjective Well-Being: A Study in South Korea," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (14:3), pp. 151-155. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0382
- Lee, J.-E. R., Moore, D. C., Park, E.-A., and Park, S. G. 2012. "Who Wants To Be "Friend- Rich"? Social Compensatory Friending on Facebook and the Moderating Role of Public Self-Consciousness," Computers in Human Behavior, (28:3), pp. 1036-1043. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.01.006
- Lee-Won, R. J., Shim, M., Joo, Y. K., and Park, S. G. 2014. "Who Puts the Best "Face" Forward on Facebook?: Posit ive Self-Presentation in Online Social Networking and the Role of Self-Consciousness, Actual-To-Tota l Friends Ratio, And Culture," Computers in Human Behavior, (39), pp. 413-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.08.007
- Lennox, R. D., and Wolfe, R. N. 1984. "Revision of the Self-Monitoring Scale," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, (46:6), pp. 1349-1364. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119
- Phares, E. J., and Erskine, N. 1984. "The Measurement of Selfism," Educational and Psychological Measurement, 44(3), pp. 597-608. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164484443007
- Qiu, L., Lin, H., Leung, A. K., and Tov, W. 2012. "Putting Their Best Foot Forward: Emotional Disclosure on Facebook," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (15:10), pp. 569-572. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0200
- Ryan, T., and Xenos, S. 2011. "Who Uses Facebook? An Investigation into the Relationship between the Big Five, Shyness, Narcissism, Loneliness, and Facebook Usage," Computers in Human Behavior, (27:5), pp. 1658-1664. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.02.004
- Scheier, M. F., & Carver, C. S. 1985. "The Self-Consciousness Scale: A Revised Version for Use with General Populations," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, (15:8), pp. 687-699. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1985.tb02268.x
- Schouten, A. P., Valkenburg, P. M., and Peter, J. 2007. "Precursors and Underlying Processes of Adolescents' Online Self-Disclosure: Developing and Testing an "Internet-Attribute-Perception" Model," Media Psychology, (10:2), pp. 292-315. https://doi.org/10.1080/15213260701375686
- Shim, M., Lee, M. J., and Park, S. H. 2008. "Photograph Use on Social Network Sites Among South Korean College Students: The Role of Public and Private Self-Consciousness," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (11:4), pp. 489-493. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0104
- Strano, M. M., and Queen, J. W. 2012. Covering Your Face on Facebook. Journal of Media Psychology, (24:4), pp. 166-180. https://doi.org/10.1027/1864-1105/a000076
- Tong, S. T., Van Der Heide, B., Langwell, L., and Walther, J. B. 2008. "Too Much of a Good Thing? The Relationship between Number of Friends a nd Inter persona l Impressions on Facebook," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, (13:3), pp. 531-549. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2008.00409.x
- Wang, S. S. (2013). ""I Share, Therefore I Am": Personality Traits, Life Satisfaction, and Facebook Check-Ins," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, (16:12), pp. 870-877. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0395
- Winter, S., Neubaum, G., Eimler, S. C., Gordon, V., Theil, J., and Herrmann, J. 2014. "Another Brick in The Facebook Wall-How Personality Traits Relate to the Content of Status Updates," Computers in Human Behavior, (34), pp. 194-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.01.048