- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Taping Therapy and Inner Arch Support on Plantar Lower Body Alignment and Gait
- Lee, Sojung (Department of Fashion Industry, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University) ;
- Jeong, Dawun (Department of Fashion Industry, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Eun (Department of Fashion Industry, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Yi, Kyungock (Division of Kinesiology and Sports Studies, College of Science and Industry Convergence, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2017.09.08
- Accepted : 2017.09.22
- Published : 2017.09.30
Objective: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of taping therapy and inner arch support on pes planus lower extremity alignment and gait. Method: The study was conducted on 13 women in their 20s who had pes planus and no gait problems. Independent variables were the condition of wearing basic socks (S1) and the condition of wearing socks with taping therapy and inner arch support (S2). The dependent variables were resting calcaneal stance position (RCSP), plantar pressure distribution during gait, and underlying and medial longitudinal arch angle measured using radiography. Statistical analysis was performed using the Wilcoxon test with SPSS 23.0 for comparison of S1 and S2. Results: In the RCSP measurement, the angle range of S2 changed to normal. Meary's angle appeared to be less than the angle of S1, indicating alleviation of the degree of pes planus. The calcaneal pitch angle increased at S2 from that at S1. The plantar pressure distribution was divided into four areas (toe, forefoot, midfoot, and hindfoot). At S2, the maximum pressure increased in the toe and midfoot. The maximum force increased significantly in the toe and midfoot but decreased significantly in the forefoot and hindfoot. In addition, the contact area increased overall especially at the midfoot and hindfoot. Contact time decreased in the toe and forefoot, but increased in the midfoot and hindfoot. Conclusion: Taping therapy and inner arch support showed structural improvement of the pes planus. In addition, the force and pressure applied to the foot during walking are distributed evenly in the area of the sole, thus positively affecting walking.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Chang, J. S., Park, J. W. & Kim, C. S. (2010). The changes of plantar foot pressure by external loads during walking in flatfoot. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 5(4), 543-549.
- Choi, J. Y. (2007). The Effects of Taping of Strength & postural Stablity on Ankle & Shoulder. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education of Myoungji University.
- Hayes, K. W. (1992). The effect of awareness of measurement error on physical therapists' confidence in their decisions. Physical Therapy, 72, 515-525. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/72.7.515
- Jang, I. G., Kim, D. H., Yoo, J. O., Lee, S. H., Park, S. K., Choi, S. K., Hong, J. M., Kang, H. J., Sung, K. H., Lee, B. J., Kim, M. Y. & Kim, M. K. (2008). The effect of sports taping on the pain, exercise performance and structural changes of arch on X-ray. Korean Association of Certified Exercise Professionals, 2008(1), 801-804.
- Jeong, J. Y. (2016). The immediate effects of Jump Rope with or without visual Feedback on Foot Deformation and lower extremity Alignment Correction of a Flatfeet. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Jeong, M. M. (2002). Types and application of nonparametric statistical methods. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 7, 47-58.
- Jenny, J. Y. (2013). Measurement of the knee flexion angle with a smartphone-application is precise and accurate. The Journal of Arthroplasty, 28, 784-787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2012.11.013
- Kang, H. S. (2012). The Validity of the Foot Deformity Measurement Method: Correlation between total-middle-body Width Ratio (CSI), trunk-to-hip Ratio Index (SAI), and Calcaneal Angle (RCSP). Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Education of Ewha Womans University.
- Kang, J. H., Kim, S. H. & Lee, K. J. (2010). Taping of musculoskeletal Disorders learned with Pictures and Photographs. Seoul: Median Book.
- Kim, K. H. (2011). Biomechanical Analysis of Arch Support Devices on normal and low Arch. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Kyungsung University.
- Kim, N. H. (2013). The Effects of corrective Hip Joint Exercises and Foot Orthotics on RCSP, Ankle dorsi/plantar Flexion, pelvic Motion, core Muscle Strength, and Foot Pressure for middle School Students with Pes Planus. Unpublished Doctor's Dissertation. Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Ko, D. H. (2015). Effects of a customized Insole and Stabilization Exercise for lower extremity on Foot Fatigue, lower extremity Alignment, and Balance in pronated Adult Feet. Unpublished Doctor's Dissertation. Graduate School of Daegu University.
- Lee, C. W. (2006). Effects of Foot Orthoses and lumbar Stabilization exercise on spinal malaligment Patients with Flatfoot. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Sports Industry of Kookmin University.
- Lee, G. C., Kim, C. H., Kim, B. G., Kim, S. H., Kim, A. T., Yang, H. S., Yoon, Y. S., Lim, H. M., Jang, M. Y. & Jang, C. (2006). The effects of balanced performances on degree of dropped foot arch. Archives of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2, 45-52.
- Lee, J. K., Kim, Y. K. & Choi, J. H. (2009). Influence of orthopedic medical taping on gait of stance phase and pain. The Journal of Korean Society of Health Science, 6, 1-7.
- Lee, J. Y. (2001). Special relationship between diabetics and shoes. The Rubber Society of Korea, 2, 124-128.
- Lee, Y. L. (2006, October 10). Korean women 85% "troop anomalies" ... Only 15.2% of normal feet. NEWSIS. Retrieved December 20, 2016, from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=103&oid=003&aid=0000200149
- Menz, H. B. (1995). Clinical hindfoot measurement: a critical review of the literature Review Article. The Foot, 5, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0958-2592(95)90012-8
- Milani, P., Coccetta, C. A., Rabini, A., Sciarra, T., Massazza, G. & Ferriero, G. (2014). Mobile smartphone applications for body position measurement in rehabilitation: a review of goniometric tools. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 6, 1038-1043.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2016). National Health Information Portal. Retrieved January 14, 2017, from http://health.mw.go.kr/HealthInfoArea/HealthInfo/View.do?idx=4360
- Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2014. n.d.). Blount's Disease. Retrieved Januaty 14. 2017. from http://www.paleyinstitute.org/orthopedic-conditions/blounts-disease/blounts-disease
- Park, J. T. (2008). Research on the Effect of Kinesio Taping Method on muscular Strength and Fatigue. Unpublished Doctor's Dissertation. Graduate School of Myongji University.
- Park, K. Y. (2008). Study on changing the Angle of Ankle to the sagittal Plane with F. F. O before and after Wearing during the Walk. Unpublished Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Alternative Medicine, Kyonggi University.
- Song, J., Hillstrom, H. J., Secord, D. & Levitt, J. (1996). Foot type biomechanics. comparison of planus and rectus foot types. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 86, 16-23. https://doi.org/10.7547/87507315-86-1-16
- Song, J. H. (2008). The kinematic comparative study about effects of foot orthotics. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 19, 11-21. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2008.19.3.11
- Seoul National University Hospital. (2003). Body organs information. Retrieved March 5, 2017, from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=103&oid=003&aid=0000200149
- University of Washington Department of Radiology. (2016. August 14). Pes Planus. retrieved August 10. 2017. from http://uwmsk.org/footalignment/doku.php?id=pes_planus# other_measurements
- Valmassy, R. L. (1996). Clinical Biomechanics of the lower Extremities. St. Louis: Mosby
- Woo, J. H., Lee, J. S., Yang, J. O., Lee, B. J., Bae, K. H., Han, D. W., Park, S. M. & Bae, J. W. (2015). Analysis of plantar foot pressure according to lnsole types during treadmill gait. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 25(1), 113-122. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.1.113
- Yi, K. O. (2010). The effect of shoe type on plantar pressure distributions. Journal of Korean Association of Physical Education and Sport for Girls and Women, 24(4), 1-11.
- Yi, K. O., Kim, N. H. & Kim, Y. R. (2012). The differences in foot type according to major in left and right foot for female college students. Korean Society of Sport Biomechanics, 22, 229-236. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2012.22.2.229