- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison on Middle-aged and Older People's Depression and Life Satisfaction According to Family Caregiving Types
- Lim, Ahn-Na (Kwangwoon Academy of Advanced Studies, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Song, No-Won (Department of SocialWelfare, Shinhan University)
- Received : 2017.07.03
- Accepted : 2017.07.29
- Published : 2017.09.30
This study examined data from National Pension Research Institute's 5th Panel Survey on Security for the Aged in 2013. The subjects of this study are middle-aged and older people aged 50 or older providing care for parents or grandchildren. The subjects are total 226, 53 parent caregivers and 173 grandchild caregivers. According to the results, both types indicate low depression, and their life satisfaction records over 3 out of 5. Grandchild caregivers show higher life satisfaction than parent caregivers. Any of the factors influencing depression and life satisfaction are not found to be significant in parent caregivers. Grandchild caregivers' educational level and health condition influence depression negatively and life satisfaction positively.
Supported by : Kwangwoon University
- MOHWa, Social Security Factbook 2016, 2016.
- Ahn-Na, Lim, "The level of Life Satisfaction of Family caregivers", The 3rd International Integrated(Web & Offline) Conference & Concert on Convergence, IICCC 2017 in conjunction with ICCPND 2017.
- Duk Sunwoo et al., Performance Evaluation and Improvement on Long-Term Care Insurance, 2016-17, 2016.
- Jeong-Gi Lim, Eun-Jin Hong, "A Longitudinal Study on the Change of Life Satisfaction among the Aged according to the Caring Behavior for the Parents : the application of growth potential model", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, vol. 51, 215-246, 2011.
- Lee, Young Whee, Lim, Ji Young, Kim, Ju Yeun Cho Hyo Im and Ko, Gug Jin, "A Prediction Model for Caregiver Burden and Life Satisfaction - Caring for a Patient with Dementia", J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol. 13, No. 3, 204-214, 2011.
- Jun Hey Jung, Cho Kyu Young, Park Min Kyoung, Han Sae Hwang and Wassel, J. I., "Longitudinal Study of the Effect of the Transition to a Grandparenting Role on Depression and Life-satisfaction", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 33, No. 3, 515-536, 2013.
- Kyong Duk Choi, Taehyun Ahn, "Impacts of grandchildren caregiving on the health of grandparents: an instrumental variable approach", The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol.22, No.3, 99-128, 2016.
- Daly, M., "care as a good for social policy", Journal of Social Policy, Vol. 31, 252-270, 2002.
- Jenong-Eun Kim, A Study on the Classification of Self-Care among the Elderly Family Caregivers, Chungnam National University doctoral thesis, 2014.
- Kyung, Minjung, Female Informal Caregiver's Health and Health Care Use, The Graduate School Seoul National University, Master thesis, 2017.
- Kim, Hye Jin, "A Study on the Relationship between Providing Care for Grandchildren and the Health of Middle and Old-aged Women", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 69, No. 1, 59-77, 2017. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2017.69.1.003
- Kang Oh Lee, "A Study on Stress and Health of Family Caregivers Caring for Demented Elderly", Journal of Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, Vol.8 No.2, 384-398, 1999.
- Jeon, Eunmi, Koh Sun-Kang, "Effect of Rearing Grandchildren and Parenting Efficacy on Life Satisfaction", Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 20, No. 4, 69-83, 2016.
- Lee Jeong-hwa, Han Gyoung-hae, "Intergenerational Triads of Grandparent-headed Families and Psychological Well-Being of Custodial Grandmothers in Rural Korea", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 28, No .1, 177-196, 2008.
- Kim, Meeryoung, "A Study of the Effect of Grandparents' Caregiving of Grandchildren on the Life Satisfaction and Depressive Symptoms", Korean Family Studies association, Vol. 26, No. 1, 178-204, 2014.
- Kyung-Heun Baek, "Impact of Rearing Grandchildren on Women's Health - Physical and Mental Health", The Korean Journal of Women's Health, Vol. 10, No. 2, 87-112, 2009.
- Jin Hee Bae, Impac of Parenting Stresson the Psychological Well-Being of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - Focusing on the Buffering Effect of Social Supports, Chonbuk National University Doctoral thesis, 2006.
- Suh Byoung-Seon, A Study On The Surrogate Parenting Aad Satisfaction Of Grandmothers, Ewha Woman's University, Master thesis, 1994.
- Battle, T., "Relationship between self-esteem and depression. Psychological Report", Vol. 42, 745-746, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1995
- Wee Kown Pyeong, Lee Guiohk, and Kim Hyun Jeong, "Study on the Effects of Communication Activities of the Aged on Their Depression", The Korean Advertising & PR Practitioners Society, Vol. 10, No. 1, 68-97, 2017.
- Kim, Jiyeo, Kim, Hongsoo, "Effects of Home Care Services Use by Older Adults on Family Caregiver Distress", Journal of Korean Acad Nurs, Vol. 46, No. 6, 836- 847, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.6.836
- Lee Hae Jung, Song Rha Yun, "Coping Strategies Utilized in the Caregiving Situation and Predictors of Health Responses among Informal Caregivers of Older Adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 30, No. 4, 893-904, 2000. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.4.893
- Soo-Young Kim, Jin-Sun Kim and Hyun-Sook Youn, "Predictors of Depression and Life Satisfaction among Family Caregivers for Demented Elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 24, No. 2. 111-128, 2004.
- Diener, E., "Subjective well-bing", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 95 No. 3, 542-575, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Mi Jeong Kim, Kwuy Bun Kim, "Influencing of Psychological Well-Being for the Middle Aged Adults and Elderly", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 19, No. 2, 150-158, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.150
- Ahn-Na Lim, Young-Suk Park, "A Study on the Factors Affecting Life Satisfaction: Focused on Social Support", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 17, No. 3, 319-328, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.03.319
- Ahn-Na Lim, Young-Suk Park, "Effects of Advanced Middle-Aged People's Life Satisfaction on Elderly Life Commencement Age Awareness", The Korean Association For Local Government Administration Studies, Vol. 29, No. 3, 349-364, 2015. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2015.29.3.349