- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluating the Effects of Dry Eye Syndrome on Ocular Fatigue and Attentiveness
건성안증후군의 눈 피로도와 주의집중력에 관한 연구
- Hong, Kyung-Hee (Korea Optometric Association) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Joo (Dept. of Optometry, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Se-Jin (Dept. of Optometry, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2017.11.08
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2017.12.31
Purpose: This study was aimed to evaluate the effects of dry eye syndrome on ocular fatigue and attentiveness. Methods: This study targeted 512 subjects who did not have an abnormal visual function, did not wear contact lens, had corrective eyesight over 0.8, and were between 19 and 83 year olds (mean age of 40.27 years). General characteristics (i.e., sex, age, drinking, and smoking status), dry eye syndrome, the score of a survey on ocular fatigue, and sub-factors of attentiveness were tested and analyzed. Results: Among the subjects, 312 were women and the mean age of them was 40.27 years. The number of drinkers was 260 and there were more drinkers than non-drinkers. There were 438 non-smokers, which was more than smokers. Dry eye syndrome showed positive correlations with age, sex, smoking, drinking, and eye fatigue. Attentiveness showed significant differences with BET, NAR, OET, and RED, which were sub-factors, had significant effects on dry eye syndrome. Conclusion: People with dry eye syndrome showed lower attentiveness than those who without it and higher dry eye syndrome increased ocular fatigue.
- Lemp MA: Report of the national eye institute/industry workshop on clinical trials in dry eyes. CLAO J. 21(4), 221-232, 1995.
- Definition, DEWS(2007): The definition and classification of dry eye disease: report of the definition and classification subcommittee of the international dry eye workShop(2007). Ocul Surf. 5(2), 75-92, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-0124(12)70081-2
- Park DU, Yoon CS: Suggestions to improve occupational hygiene activities based on the health problems of semiconductor workers. J Korean Soc Occup Environ Hyg. 22(1), 1-8, 012.
- Hong KH, Kim YP et al.: A study on factors which affect dry eye syndrome and eye health in Filipino and Korean male students. Korean J Vis Sci. 19(1), 41-50, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2017.19.1.41
- Yun CM, Kang SY et al.: Prevalence of dry eye disease among university students. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 53(4), 505-509, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2012.53.4.505
- Definition, DEWS: The epidemiology of dry eye disease : report of the epidemiology subcommittee of the international dry eye workshop(2007). Ocular Surf. 5(2), 93-107, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-0124(12)70082-4
- Toda I, Fujishima H et al.: Ocular fatigue is the major symptom of dry eye. Acta Ophthlamol(Copenh). 71(3), 347-352, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-3768.1993.tb07146.x
- Yoo SY, Seo MW et al.: Analysis of eye fatigue and eye blink parameters in watching Ultra High Definition Video. Institute Electronics Engineers Korea 2016(6), 2269-2271, 2016.
- Kim SI, Park MJ et al.: Relationship between reading speed and blinking rate according to longitudinal chromatic aberration during book reading. J Korean Oph Opt Soc. 20(3), 369-375, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.3.369
- Woo SH, Lee HJ: The effect of website background color on readability and eye-fatigue. J Korean Soc Design Sci. 21(3), 5-16, 2008.
- Park MS: Development of an attention concentration scale for middle school students. Kukje Theological University and Seminary PhD Thesis, pp.20-37, 2015.
- Yoon GH: Attention types of golfers by characteristics. Kyunghee University MS Thesis, pp.1-55, 2006.
- Duncan J, Humphreys GW: Visual search and stimulus similarity. Psychol Rev. 96(3), 433-458, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.96.3.433
- Ames SL, Wolffsohn JS et al.: The development of a symptom questionnaire for assessing virtual reality viewing using a head-mounted display. Optom Vis Sci. 82(3), 168-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.OPX.0000156307.95086.6
- Kim MK: The effects of self-acupressure on th eye conditions of college students. Dong-Eui University MS Thesis, pp.1-30, 2012.
- Suh YW, Kim KH et al.: The objective methods to evaluate ocular fatigue associated with computer work. J Korean Opthalmol Soc. 51(10), 1327-1332, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2010.51.10.1327
- Oh DK: Comparison of McMonnies and Ocular Surface Disease Index Questionnaires for dry eye screening test. Eulji University MS Thesis. pp.5-66, 2013.
- Nideffer RM: Test of attentional and interpersonal style. J Pers Soc Psychol. 34(3), 394-404, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2064
- Vehof J, Kozareva D et al.: Prevalence and risk factors of dry eye disease in a british female cohort. Br J Ophthalmol. 98(12), 1712-1717, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2014-305201
- Nowak MS, Smigielski J: The prevalence and risk factors for dry eye disease among older adults in the city of lodz, Poland. OJOph. 6(1), 1-5, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojoph.2016.61001
- Tan LL, Morgan P et al.: Prevalence of and risk factors for symptomatic dry eye disease in Singapore. Clin Exp Optom. 98(1), 45-53, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12210
- Jeong HS, Lim JS et al.: Prevalence and Risk Factors of Dry Eye Syndrome in the Incheon Area. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 52(10), 1135-1141, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2011.52.10.1135
- Her S, Kim KH: Dry eye syndrome and ocular fatigue according to the status of contact lens wearing and management among female university students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs. 25(4), 259-269, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.4.259