- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Job Characteristics and Empowerment of Dental Hygienists According to Hospital Type
병원종별에 따른 치과위생사의 직무특성과 임파워먼트 비교
- Received : 2017.07.26
- Accepted : 2017.08.11
- Published : 2017.09.30
Purpose. In this study, the empowerment and job characteristics of dental hygienists by hospital type were identified and the relationships between empowerment and job characteristics were examined. Methods. The subjects were 156 working dental hygienists. A structured self-administered questionnaire was used to investigate the empowerment and job characteristics of dental hygienists. For empowerment and Job Characteristics, the scale developed by Spreitzer and Hackman and Oldham was used. Results. The results of this study showed that the degree of formation of empowerment for dental hygienists was the highest in general/university hospitals. All elements of job characteristics were closely correlated with empowerment, and hospital type was correlated with the determination of empowerment. Job characteristics influenced empowerment. This result suggests that the inherent jobs of dental hygienists did not change much by hospital type, but empowerment changed because the organizational characteristics changed according to hospital size. Conclusions. Therefore, considering the importance of the jobs of dental hygienists, hospitals need to form an organizational atmosphere that guarantee autonomy and promote a diversity of jobs.
Dental Hygienist;Empowerment;Job Characteristics
- Conger JA. The Empowerment Process: Interating Theory and Practice, Academy of Management Review, 1989;13:471-482.
- Cohen J. A Power Primer, Psychological Bulletin, 1992;112(1):155-159. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.1.155
- Kim HJ. Effects of Perceived Job Characteristics and Sex Role Conflicts on Job Satisfaction:According to Hackman & Oldham's Job Characteristics Model. Ehwa Univesity, 1991.
- Eo YS, Cho GY. Job Characteristics and Compensation Justice Influences with Empowerment in Hospital Nurses. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 2010;12(1):227-239.
- Park HS, Chio MH. A Study on Empowerment and Job Satisfaction, Perceived by a Dental Hygienist, The chung-Ang Journal of Nursing, 2003;7(2):7-76.
- Kim YG, Choe MS, Jeong GT, Kim YH. A Study on Relation to Empowerment of Dental hygienist and Immersion of Duty and Devotion of Organization, Korean journal of hospital management, 2003;8(4):76-110.
- Lee YH, Lee SJ. A study on the influence of organizational and activity characteristics on the longterm care workers' empowerment, Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, 2008;19:157-184.
- Kang KW, Kim KJ. A Comparison of Influencing Factors on Job Satisfaction by Occupation at a University Hospital, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 2015;9(3):13-30.
- Kim KY. A Study on the Impact of Psychological Empowerment on Job Attitudes and Turnover Intention of Dental Hygienists. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 2010;4(2):1-10.
- Lee SY. The Influence of Job and Professionalism on Empowerment Perceived by Nurses, Journal of Korean academy of Characteristics nursing administration, 2006;12(4):587-596.
- Hyun JW. A Study on Empowerment Among Operationg Room Nurses. Yonsei University, 2003.
- Kim EH, Relationships of Nursing Professionalism, Self-Leadership and Empowerment of Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Clinical Health Science, 2016;4(1):532-541. https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.532
- Seo YS, Son YL, Jung CY, Mediation Effect of Nursing Competency between Transformational Leadership and Organizational Commitment of Nurses in Hospitals, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 2015;3(3):419-426.
- Lee HK, Kim MJ, Yim YS. Dental Hygienist, the Relationship Between Empowerment and Organizational Commitment, Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education, 2010;10(4):645-654.
- Ro HL, Kang JS. Affects of Social Capital in Institutions on Physical Therapists' Burnout, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 2014;16(1):417-429.
- Shin HS, An ES. Measuring the Efficiency of Dental Hospitals with Measurement of the Service Quality, J Korean Acad Oral Health, 2012;36:46-54.
- Bae SM, Kim HK. A Status of Determinant of the Intention to Turnover for Dental Hygienists, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 2012;13(12):5986-5992. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5986
- Kim WJ, Park SC, Lee KJ. The Effect of Job Characteristics of Travel Agency's Employees by Employment Types on Organizational Commitment-Focused on the Mediating Role of Job Involvement, Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 2010;24(6):39-60.
- Hackman JR, Oldham GR. Development of Job Diagnostic Survey, Journal of the Applied Psychology, 1975;60:159-170. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076546
- Kirkman BL, Rosen R. A Model of Work Team Empowerment, Research in Organization Change and Development, 1997;10:131-167.
- Spreitzer GM. Phychological Empowerment in the Workplace, Academy of Management Journal, 1995;38(5):1442-1465. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Koo OH. An Analysis of the Concept Empowerment, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 1998;28(1):37-46. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19126.96.36.199
- Thomas KW, Velthouse BA. Cognitive Elements of Empowerment: An Interpretive Model of Intrinsic Task Motivation, Academy of Management Review, 1990;15(4):666-681.
- Kang JS. Effects of Empowerment on the Burnout and Career, Commitment of Social Worker, 2012;12(5):213-226.
- Noh EM, Jeon ES, Ko HJ. The Effects of Dental Hygienists' LMX(Leader-Member Exchange) and Empowerment on Organizational Performance, Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 2015;15(5):650-658. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.650
- Vogt JF, Murrell KL. Empowerment in Organizations: How to Spark Exceptional Performance, San Diego, CA: University Associates, Inc., 1990.
- Kang YS. The Effect of the Long-Term Care Worker's Empowerment on Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 2011;12(9):3904-3914. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.3904
- Lee MJ, Kwon SH, Goo HJ, Study on Job Stress and Job Satisfaction of Dental Hygienists in Changwon, Journal of Korean Clinical Health Science, 2013;1(3):39-48.