- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative effect of silkworm powder from 3 Bombyx mori varieties on ethanol-induced gastric injury in rat model
- Lee, Da-Young ;
- Cho, Jae-Min ;
- Yun, Sun-Mi ;
- Hong, Kyung-Sook ;
- Ji, Sang-Deok ;
- Son, Jong-Gon ;
- Kim, Eun-Hee
- Received : 2017.07.03
- Accepted : 2017.08.08
- Published : 2017.09.30
Gastric ulcer is a clinical symptom characterized by inflammation of the gastric mucosa. Stress and alcohol consumption have been identified as the major cause of gastric ulcer. However, the effects of silkworms on ethanol-induced gastric ulcer have not been studied yet. The mature silkworms that are difficult to eat have become easier to ingest due to recent technological development to make steaming and freeze-drying mature silkworm larval powder (SMSP). In this study, we investigated whether three silkworm varieties, Baekokjam, Golden-silk and Yeonnokjam could alleviate ethanol-induced gastric mucosal damage in vivo. Sprague-Dawley rats pretreated with 3 SMSPs (0.1 or 1 g/kg BW) or normal diet (AIN-76A) were exposed to absolute ethanol (3 g/kg BW, 3 h) by oral gavage. Morphological examination included ulcer index as a measurement of hemorrhages and hematoxylin and eosin staining was performed to analyze the severity of gastric ulcer. Results of macroscopic examination suggested that all 3 SMSPs pretreatment significantly protected gastric mucosa against ethanol-induced damage. Microscopic observations demonstrated significant mucosal erosion and inflammation in ethanol-treated rats, which was abrogated in rats pretreated with 3 SMSPs. In addition, pretreatment with all 3 SMSPs showed significant decreases the expression of pro-inflammatory mediators, IL-6 and cyclooxygenase-2. Among SMSP from 3 varieties of silkworm, preadministration of 1 g/kg Baekokjam SMSP showed the most effective protective effect against ethanol-induced gastric ulcer. These results suggest that Baekokjam SMSP can be a potential gastroprotective agent against ethanol-induced gastric ulcer.
Steamed and freeze-dried mature silkworm larval powder;Silkworm varieties;Ethanol;Gastric ulcer;SD rat;Anti-inflammation
- Al Batran R, Al-Bayaty F, Jamil Al-Obaidi MM, Abdualkader AM, Hadi HA, Ali HM et al. (2013) In vivo antioxidant and antiulcer activity of Parkia speciosa ethanolic leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in rats. PLoS One 8, e64751. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0064751
- Allen A, Leonard AJ, Sellers LA (1988) The mucus barrier. Its role in gastroduodenal mucosal protection. J Clin Gastroenterol 10 Suppl 1, S93-98. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004836-198812001-00015
- CL Cheng MWLK (2000) Effects of Centella asiatica on ethanol induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats. Life Sci 67, 2647-2653. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00848-1
- Cho JM, Hong KS, Lee DY, Kim KY, Ji SD, Kim EH (2016a) Protective effect of silkworm (Bombyx mori) powder against diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Food Eng Prog 20, 342-348. https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2016.20.4.342
- Cho JM, Kim KY, Ji SD, Kim EH (2016b) Protective effect of boiled and freeze-dried mature silkworm larval powder against diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. J Cancer Prev 21, 173-181. https://doi.org/10.15430/JCP.2016.21.3.173
- Franke A, Teyssen S, Singer MV (2005) Alcohol-related diseases of the esophagus and stomach. Dig Dis 23, 204-213. https://doi.org/10.1159/000090167
- Golbabapour S, Hajrezaie M, Hassandarvish P, Abdul Majid N, Hadi AH, Nordin N et al. (2013) Acute toxicity and gastroprotective role of M. pruriens in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injuries in rats. BioMed Res Int 2013, 974185.
- Guslandi M (1987) Effects of ethanol on the gastric mucosa. Dig Dis 5, 21-32. https://doi.org/10.1159/000171159
- Hajrezaie M, Salehen N, Karimian H, Zahedifard M, Shams K, Al Batran R et al. (2015) Biochanin a gastroprotective effects in ethanolinduced gastric mucosal ulceration in rats. PLoS One 10, e0121529. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0121529
- Tabunoki H, Ono H, Ode H, Ishikawa K, Kawana N, Banno Y et al (2013) Identification of key uric acid synthesis pathway in a unique mutant silkworm Bombyx mori model of Parkinson's disease. PLoS One 8, e69130. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069130
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Kweon H, Choi BH, Yoon SM, Kim KY et al. (2016a) Nutrient compositions of Bombyx mori mature silkworm larval powders suggest their possible health improvement effects in humans. J Asia-Pacific Entomol 19, 1027-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2016.08.004
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Kwon HY, Choi BH, Kim KY, Koh YH (2016b) Nutrition composition differences among steamed and freeze-dried mature silkworm larval powders made from 3 Bombyx mori varieties weaving different colored cocoons. Int J Indust Entomol 33, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2016.33.1.6
- Ji SD, Kim NS, Lee JY, Kim MJ, Kweon HY, Sung GB et al. (2015) Development of processing technology for edible mature silkworm. J Seri Entomol Sci 53, 38-43.
- Kang PD, Lee SU, Jung IY, Shon BH, Kim YS, Kim KY et al. (2007) Breeding of new silkworm variety golden silk, a yellow cocoon color for spring rearing season. J Seri Entomol Sci 49, 14-17.
- Kaunitz JD (1998) Barrier function of gastric mucus. Keio J med 48, 63-68.
- Kim YS, Kim KY, Kang PD, Cha JY, Heo JS, Park BK et al (2008) Effect of silkworm (Bombyx mori) excrement powder on the alcoholic hepatotoxicity in Rats. J Life Sci 18, 1342-1347. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.10.1342
- Laine L, Weinstein WM (1988) Histology of alcoholic hemorrhagic "gastritis": a prospective evaluation. Gastroenterology 94, 1254-1262. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(88)90661-0
- Lee S, Hong K, Sohn K, Mah Y, Kim K (1984) Breeding of new silkworm variety "BaegOkJam". Res Rept RDA 26, 58-64.
- Li W, Huang H, Niu X, Fan T, Mu Q, Li H (2013) Protective effect of tetrahydrocoptisine against ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 272, 21-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2013.05.035
- Liu Y, Tian X, Gou L, Fu X, Li S, Lan N et al. (2012) Protective effect of l-citrulline against ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 34, 280-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2012.04.009
- Park JM, Han YM, Kangwan N, Lee SY, Jung MK, Kim EH et al. (2014) S-allyl cysteine alleviates nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory druginduced gastric mucosal damages by increasing cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition, heme oxygenase-1 induction, and histone deacetylation inhibition. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 29 Suppl 4, 80-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgh.12730
- Park SW, Oh TY, Kim YS, Sim H, Park SJ, Jang EJ et al. (2008) Artemisia asiatica extracts protect against ethanol-induced injury in gastric mucosa of rats. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23, 976-984. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2008.05333.x
- Rahim NA, Hassandarvish P, Golbabapour S, Ismail S, Tayyab S, Abdulla MA (2014) Gastroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of Curcuma xanthorrhiza leaf against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal lesions in Sprague-Dawley rats. Biomed Res Int 2014, 416409.
- Ryu KS, Lee HS, Chung SH, Kang PD (1997) An activity of lowering blood-glucose levels according to preparative condition of silkworm powder. Korean J Seri Sci 39, 79-85.
- Ryu KS, Lee HS, Kim KY, Kim MJ, Sung GB, Ji SD, et al. (2013) 1-Deoxynojirimycin content and blood glucose-lowering effect of silkworm (Bombyx mori) extract powder. Int J Indust Entomol 27, 237-242. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2013.27.2.237
- Salga MS, Ali HM, Abdulla MA, Abdelwahab SI (2012) Gastroprotective activity and mechanism of novel dichlorido-zinc(II)-4-(2-(5-methoxybenzylideneamino)ethyl)-piperazin-1-iumphenolate complex on ethanol-induced gastric ulceration. Chem Bio Interact 195, 144-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2011.11.008
- Szabo G, Mandrekar P, Girouard L, Catalano D (1996) Regulation of human monocyte functions by acute ethanol treatment: decreased tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1 beta and elevated interleukin-10, and transforming growth factor-beta production. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 20, 900-907. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1996.tb05269.x
- Szabo S, Trier JS, Brown A, Schnoor J, Homan HD, Bradford JC (1985) A quantitative method for assessing the extent of experimental gastric erosions and ulcers. J Pharmacol Methods 13, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-5402(85)90068-3
- Tarnawski A, Stachura J, Hollander D, Sarfeh IJ, Bogdal J (1988) Cellular aspects of alcohol-induced injury and prostaglandin protection of the human gastric mucosa. Focus on the mucosal microvessels. J Clin Gastroenterol 10 Suppl 1, S35-45. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004836-198812001-00008
Grant : Elucidation the health improvement effects of boiled silk worm larvae
Supported by : Rural Development Administration