- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of Antioxidant Quality of Green Leafy Vegetables upon Different Cooking Method
- Hossain, Afzal ;
- Khatun, Mst. Afifa ;
- Islam, Mahfuza ;
- Huque, Roksana
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.08.11
- Published : 2017.09.30
Antioxidant rich green leafy vegetables including garden spinach leaf, water spinach leaf, Indian spinach leaf, and green leaved amaranth were selected to evaluate the effects of water boiling and oil frying on their total phenolic content (TPC), total flavonoid content (TFC), reducing power (RP), and antioxidant capacity. The results revealed that there was a significant increase in TPC, TFC, and RP in all the selected vegetables indicating the effectiveness of the cooking process on the antioxidant potential of leafy vegetables. Both cooking processes enhanced significantly (P<0.05) the radical scavenging ability, especially the oil fried samples showed the highest values. There is a significant reduction in the vitamin C content in all the vegetables due to boiling and frying except in the Indian spinach leaf. However, the present findings suggest that boiling and frying can be used to enhance the antioxidant ability, by increasing the bioaccessibility of health-promoting constituents from the four vegetables investigated in this study.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. 2007. Free radicals in biology and medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. p 440-487.
- Cooke MS, Evans MD, Dizdaroglu M, Lunec J. 2003. Oxidative DNA damage: mechanisms, mutation, and disease. FASEB J 17: 1195-1214. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.02-0752rev
- Gulcin I, Oktay M, Kirecci E, Kufrevioglu OI. 2003. Screening of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) seed extracts. Food Chem 83: 371-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(03)00098-0
- Chu YF, Sun J, Wu X, Liu RH. 2002. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of common vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 50: 6910-6916. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020665f
- Scalbert A, Manach C, Morand C, Remesy C, Jimenez L. 2005. Dietary polyphenols and the prevention of diseases. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 45: 287-306. https://doi.org/10.1080/1040869059096
- Oboh G, Rocha JBT. 2007. Antioxidant in foods: a new challenge for food processors. In Leading Edge Antioxidants Research. Panglossi HV, ed. Nova Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA. p 35-64.
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. 1993. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 7915-7922. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.90.17.7915
- Zia-ur-Rehman Z, Islam M, Shah WH. 2003. Effect of microwave and conventional cooking on insoluble dietary fibre components of vegetables. Food Chem 80: 237-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00259-5
- Zhang D, Hamauzu Y. 2004. Phenolics, ascorbic acid, carotenoids and antioxidant activity of broccoli and their changes during conventional and microwave cooking. Food Chem 88: 503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.01.065
- Miglio C, Chiavaro E, Visconti A, Fogliano V, Pellegrini N. 2008. Effects of different cooking methods on nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of selected vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 56: 139-147. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072304b
- Oboh G, Akindahunsi AA. 2004. Change in the ascorbic acid, total phenol and antioxidant activity of sun-dried commonly consumed green leafy vegetables in Nigeria. Nutr Health 18: 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/026010600401800103
- Oboh G. 2005. Effect of blanching on the antioxidant properties of some tropical green leafy vegetables. LWT-Food Sci Technol 38: 513-517. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2004.07.007
- Karmakar K, Muslim T, Rahman MA. 2013. Chemical composition of some leafy vegetables of Bangladesh. Dhaka Univ J Sci 61: 199-201.
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 299: 152-178.
- Ebrahimzadeh MA, Pourmorad F, Bekhradnia AR. 2008. Iron chelating activity, phenol and flavonoid content of some medicinal plants from Iran. Afr J Biotechnol 7: 3188-3192.
- Ebrahimzadeh MA, Hosseinimehr SJ, Hamidinia A, Jafari M. 2008. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of Feijoa sellowiana fruits peel and leaves. Pharmacologyonline 1: 7-14.
- Oyaizu M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn J Nutr Diet 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Pandey KB, Rizvi SI. 2009. Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2: 270-278. https://doi.org/10.4161/oxim.2.5.9498
- Adefegha SA, Oboh G. 2011. Enhancement of total phenolics and antioxidant properties of some tropical green leafy vegetables by steam cooking. J Food Process Preserv 35: 615-622. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2010.00509.x
- Dewanto V, Wu X, Liu RH. 2002. Processed sweet corn has higher antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 50: 4959-4964. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0255937
- Ferracane R, Pellegrini N, Visconti A, Graziani G, Chiavaro E, Miglio C, Fogliano V. 2008. Effects of different cooking methods on antioxidant profile, antioxidant capacity, and physical characteristics of artichoke. J Agric Food Chem 56: 8601-8608. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf800408w
- Xu G, Ye X, Chen J, Liu D. 2007. Effect of heat treatment on the phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of citrus peel extract. J Agric Food Chem 55: 330-335. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf062517l
- Rice-Evans C, Miller NJ. 1995. Antioxidants - the case for fruit and vegetables in the diet. Br Food J 97: 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070709510100163
- Morales FJ, Babbel MB. 2002. Antiradical efficiency of Maillard reaction mixtures in a hydrophilic media. J Agric Food Chem 50: 2788-2792. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf011449u
- Crozier A, Lean MEJ, McDonald MS, Black C. 1997. Quantitative analysis of the flavonoid content of commercial tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and celery. J Agric Food Chem 45: 590-595. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960339y
- Stewart AJ, Bozonnet S, Mullen W, Jenkins GI, Lean ME, Crozier A. 2000. Occurrence of flavonols in tomatoes and tomato-based products. J Agric Food Chem 48: 2663-2669. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000070p
- Ismail A, Marjan ZM, Foong CW. 2004. Total antioxidant activity and phenolic content in selected vegetables. Food Chem 87: 581-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.01.010
- Sahlin E, Savage GP, Lister CE. 2004. Investigation of the antioxidant properties of tomatoes after processing. J Food Compos Anal 17: 635-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2003.10.003
- Turkmen N, Sari F, Velioglu YS. 2005. The effect of cooking methods on total phenolics and antioxidant activity of selected green vegetables. Food Chem 93: 713-718. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.12.038
- Meir S, Kanner J, Akiri B, Philosoph-Hadas S. 1995. Determination and involvement of aqueous reducing compounds in oxidative defense systems of various senescing leaves. J Agric Food Chem 43: 1813-1819. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00055a012
- El-Ishaq A, Obirinakem S. 2015. Effect of temperature and storage on vitamin C content in fruits juice. Int J Chem Biomol Sci 1: 17-21.
- Chuah AM, Lee YC, Yamaguchi T, Takamura H, Yin LJ, Matoba T. 2008. Effect of cooking on the antioxidant properties of coloured peppers. Food Chem 111: 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.03.022
- Kao FJ, Chiu YS, Chiang WD. 2014. Effect of water cooking on antioxidant capacity of carotenoid-rich vegetables in Taiwan. J Food Drug Anal 22: 202-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2013.09.010
- Rickman JC, Barrett DM, Bruhn CM. 2007. Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables. Part 1. Vitamins C and B and phenolic compounds. J Sci Food Agric 87: 930-944. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2825
- Are Raw Brassica Vegetables Healthier Than Cooked Ones? A Randomized, Controlled Crossover Intervention Trial on the Health-Promoting Potential of Ethiopian Kale vol.10, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10111622