- Volume 22 Issue 3
Ocimum gratissimum is a common plant in the tropics and has been used in food and medicine. Its usage in food and medicine could be attributed to its phtyochemical and antimicrobial properties. In this study we investigated the proximate, phytochemical, and antimicrobial attributes of air dried leaves of O. gratissimum. The aqueous extract was found to contain phtyochemicals with alkaloid and saponin present in appreciable amounts. The proximate analysis (crude protein and crude fibre content were 15.075% and 17.365%, respectively) showed that the leaf could be a good source of protein and fibre. The aqueous ethanolic extract of the leaf exhibited activity against a wider range of organisms when compared to the aqueous extract at the investigated concentrations. Aqueous ethanolic extracts of O. gratissimum leaf was active against Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, and Bacillus cereus and the aqueous extract of the leaf was active against P. aeruginosa.
Ocimum gratissimum;phytochemical;proximate analysis;antimicrobial activity
- Adebolu TT, Oladimeji SA. 2005. Antimicrobial activity of leaf extracts of Ocimum gratissimum on selected diarrhoea causing bacteria in southwestern Nigeria. Afr J Biotechnol 4: 682-684. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2005.000-3126
- Sofowora A. 1993. Medicinal plants and traditional medicines in Africa. John Wiley and Sons Ltd., New York, NY, USA. p 256.
- Trease GE, Evans WC. 1989. Trease and Evans' pharmacognosy. 13th ed. Bailliere Tindall, London, UK. p 53.
- Usman H, Osuji JC. 2007. Phytochemical and in vitro antimicrobial assay of the leaf extract of Newbouldia laevis. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 4: 476-480.
- Aruna K, Sivaramakrishnan VM. 1990. Plant products as protective agents against cancer. Indian J Exp Biol 28: 1008-1011.
- Harborne JB. 1973. Phytochemical methods: a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. Chapman and Hall, London, UK. p 279.
- Akinmoladun AC, Ibukun EO, Afor E, Obuotor EM, Farombi EO. 2007. Phytochemical constituent and antioxidant activity of extract from the leaves of Ocimum gratissimum. Sci Res Essays 2: 163-166.
- Nweze EI, Eze EE. 2009. Justification for the use of Ocimum gratissimum L in herbal medicine and its interaction with disc antibiotics. BMC Complementary Altern Med 9: 37. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-9-37
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods 988.05, 2003.06, 958.06, 942.05, and 967.08. In Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Analytical Chemists International. 18th ed. Gathersburg, MD, USA.
- Soetan KO. 2012. Comparative evaluation of phytochemicals in the raw and aqueous crude extracts from seeds of three Lablab purpureus varieties. Afr J Plant Sci 6: 410-415. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJPS12.059
- Edeogu CO, Ezeonu FC, Okaka ANC, Ekuma CE, EIom SO. 2007. Antinutrients evaluation of staple food in Ebonyi State, South-Eastern, Nigeria. J Appl Sci 7: 2293-2229. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2007.2293.2299
- Brunner JH. 1984. Direct spectrophotometer determination of saponin. Anal Chem 34: 1314-1326.
- Mako AA. 2013. Performance of West African Dwarf goats fed graded levels of sun-cured water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes Mart. Solms-Laubach) replacing Guinea grass. Livestock Res Rural Dev 25: 127.
- Salau AK, Yakubu MT, Oladiji AT. 2013. Cytotoxic activity of aqueous extracts of Anogeissus leiocarpus and Terminalia avicennioides root barks against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells. Indian J Pharmacol 45: 381-385. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.115023
- Nair R, Chanda SV. 2004. Antibacterial activity of some medicinal plants of Saurashtra region. J Tissue Res 4:117-120.
- Sulistiarini D. 1999. Ocimum gratissimum L. In Plant Resources of South East Asia. No.19: Essential-Oils Plants. Oyen LPA, Dung NX, eds. ProSea, Bogor, Indonesia. p 140-142.
- Lahlou M. 2004. Methods to study the phytochemistry and bioactivity of essential oils. Phytother Res 18: 435-448. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1465
- Usman H, Haruna AK, Akpulu IN, Ilyas M, Ahmadu AA, Musa YM. 2005. Phytochemical and antimicrobial screenings of the leaf extracts of Celtis integrifolia Lam. J Trop Biosci 5: 72-76.
- Friedrich M, Cunha BA, Lessnau KD, Lazo KG. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infections. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/226748-overview (accessed Apr 2017).
- Le Loir Y, Baron F, Gautier M. 2003. Staphylococcus aureus and food poisoning. Genet Mol Res 2: 63-76.
- Biswas B, Rogers K, McLaughlin F, Daniels D, Yadav A. 2013. Antimicrobial activities of leaf extracts of guava (Psidium guajava L.) on two Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. Int J Microbiol 2013: 746165.
- FDA. Foodborne Illnesses: What You Need to Know. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/FoodborneIllnessesNeedToKnow/default.htm (accessed Jun 2016).