- Volume 36 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Budbreak, Floral Bud and Fruit Characteristics of Kiwifruit as Affected by Various Windbreaks
파풍망 종류에 따른 키위의 발아, 개화 및 과실 특성
- Received : 2017.09.23
- Accepted : 2017.09.15
- Published : 2017.09.30
BACKGROUND:Kiwifruit growers build their vineyards using many windbreaks to protect their kiwifruit vines from defoliation injury by strong winds such as typhoon. In this study, we have compared fruit quality, budbreak rate and floral bud as affected by windbreaks. And also we surveyed several microclimate indices of kiwifruit orchard depending on the covering materials of arch-type windbreaks. METHODS AND RESULTS: Five different windbreak materials including polyethylene film (PE), blue- and white-colored nets were tested in pipe-framed archtype kiwifruit vineyards as the covering materials. Photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), annual mean temperature (AMT) and chill unit (CU) as well as fruit quality were compared among the covering materials. In all treatments, annual PAR was more than
Chill unit;Fruit quality;Kiwifruit;Microclimate;Windbreaks
- Briassoulis, D., Mistriotis, A., & Eleftherakis, D. (2007). Mechanical behaviour and properties of agricultural nets-Part I: Testing methods for agricultural nets. Polymer Testing, 26(6), 822-832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2007.05.007
- Brundell, D. J. (1976). The effect of chilling on the termination of rest and flower bud development of the chinese gooseberry. Scientia Horticulturae, 4(2), 175-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4238(76)80010-6
- Buwalda, J. G., Meekings, J. S., & Smith G. S. (1991). Seasonal changes in photosynthetic capacity of leaves of kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa) vines. Physiologia Plantarum, 83(1), 93-98. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1991.tb01286.x
- Caldwell, J. (1989). Kiwifruit performance in South Carolina and effect of winter chilling. Clemson University, Clemson South Carolina, 10, 127-129.
- Choi, S. T., Kang, S. M., Park, D. S., Song, W, D., & Seo, G. K. (2002). Thinning effect on fruit characteristics and reserve accumulation of persimmon trees defoliated in early autumn. Horticulture, Environment, and Biotechnology, 43(6), 660-665.
- Gravina, A., Cataldo, J., Gambetta, G., Pardo, E., & Fornero, C. (2011). Relation of peel damage in citrus fruit to wind climate in orchard and its control. Scientia Horticulturae, 129(1), 45-51.
- Jarvis, P. P. G. (1985). Coupling of transpiration to the atmosphere in horticultural crops: the omega factor. In I International Symposium on Water Relations in Fruit Crops, 171, 187-206.
- Judd, M. J., & McAneney, K. J. (1984). Water use by tamarillos (Cyphomandra betacea) within a sheltered orchard environment. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 32(1), 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1923(84)90026-1
- Kwack, Y. B., Kim, H. L., Choi, Y. H., Lee, J. H., Kim, J. G., & Lee, Y. B. (2012). Fruit quality and fruit locule air hole of kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa cv. Hayward) affected by early defoliation, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 31(3), 229-234. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.3.229
- Kwack, Y. B., Kim, H. L., Chae, W. B., Lee, J. H., Lee, E. H., Kim, J. G., & Lee, Y. B. (2013). Regrowth of buds and flower bud formation in kiwifruit as affected by early defoliation, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 32(3), 201-206. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.3.201
- Kwack, Y. B., Kim, H. L., Chae, W. B., Kim, S. H., Lee, Y. B., & Kim, J. G. (2014). Carbohydrate reserves of non-fruiting young kiwifruit vines as affected by early artificial defoliation, Horticulture, Environment, and Biotechnology, 55(6), 462-470. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13580-014-0042-5
- Kwack, Y. B., Kang, S. M., Kim, H. L., Kim, M. J., Kim, S. C., & Lee, Y. B. (2015). Regrowth of axillary buds the current season and early growth and development the following year in fruiting young kiwifruit as affected by early defoliation, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 34(4), 288-293. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2015.34.4.44
- Lionakis, S., & Schwabe, W. W. (1984). Bud dormancy in the kiwifruit, Actinidia chinensis Planch. Annals of Botany, 54(4), 467-484. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aob.a086818
- Norton, R. L. (1988).Windbreaks: benefits to orchard and vineyard crops. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 22-23, 205-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8809(88)90019-9
- Oukabli, A., Bartolini, S., & VITI, R. (2003). Anatomical and morphological study of apple (Malus domestica Borkh.) flower buds growing under inadequate winter chilling. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology, 78(4), 580-585. https://doi.org/10.1080/14620316.2003.11511667
- Piller, G. J., & Meekings, J. S. (1997). The acquisition and utilization of carbon in early spring by kiwifruit shoots. Annals of Botany, 79(5), 573-581. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbo.1996.0382
- Sunley, R. J., Atkinson, C. J., & Jones, H. G. (2006). Chill unit models and recent changes in the occurrence of winter chill and spring frost in the united kingdom. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology, 81(6), 949-958. https://doi.org/10.1080/14620316.2006.11512181
- Tanhora, K. (1988). Encyclopedia of kiwifruit, pp. 150-152, Yaki Inc., Japan.
- Weinberger, J. H. (1950). Chilling requirement of peach varieties. Proceedings of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 56, 122-128.
- Weinberger, J. H. (1954). Effects of high temperatures during the breaking of the rest of 'Sullivan Elberta' peach buds. Proceedings of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 63, 157-162.
- Williams, R. R. (1970). Factors affecting pollination in fruit trees. Physiology of Tree Crops. Luckwill, L. C., Cutting, C. V. (eds.). pp. 193-207, Academic Press, London.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration (RDA)