- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Impacts on Water Surface Level of the Geum River with the Diversion Tunnel Operation for Low Flow Augmentation of the Boryong Dam
금강-보령댐 도수터널 운영에 따른 금강 본류 내 수위 영향 분석 연구
- Jang, Suk-Hwan (Department of Civil Engineering, Daejin University) ;
- Oh, Kyoung-Doo (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea Military Academy) ;
- Oh, Ji-Hwan (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Daejin University)
- Received : 2017.06.16
- Accepted : 2017.07.28
- Published : 2017.09.30
Recently severe drought caused the water shortage around the western parts of Chungcheongnamdo province, South Korea. A Diversion tunnel from the Geum river to the Boryong dam, which is the water supply dam for these areas has been proposed to solve this problem. This study examined hydraulic impacts on the Geum river associated with the diversion plan assuming the severe drought condition of 2015 would persist for the simulation period of 2016. The hydraulic simulation model was verified using hydrologic and hydraulic data including hourly discharges of the Geum river and its 8 tributaries, fluctuation of tidal level at the mouth of the river, withdrawals and return flows and operation records of the Geum river barrage since Feb. 1, 2015 through May 31, 2015. For the upstream boundary condition of the Geum river predicted inflow series using the nonlinear regression equation for 2015 discharge data was used. In order to estimate the effects of uncertainty in inflow prediction to the results total four inflow series consisting of upper limit flow, expected flow, lower limit flow and instream flow were used to examine hydraulic impacts of the diversion plan. The simulation showed that in cases of upper limit and expected flows there would be no problem in taking water from the Geum river mouth with a minimum water surface level of EL(+) 1.44 m. Meanwhile, the simulation also showed that in cases of lower limit flow and instream flow there would be some problems not only in taking water for water supply from the mouth of the Geum river but also operating the diversion facility itself with minimum water surface levels of EL(+) 0.94, 0.72, 0.43, and 0.14 m for the lower limit flow without/with diversion and the instream flow without/with diversion, respectively.
Drought;Geum river;Diversion;Water supply;Intake facilities
- Douglas, A. J., Taylor, J. G., 1999, The economic value of trinity river water, Water Resources Development, 15(3), 309-322. https://doi.org/10.1080/07900629948835
- Geum River Flood Control Office, 2016, http://www.geumriver.go.kr
- Ham, S. Y., Byeon, D. L., Sung, I. H., 2001, Analysis of water level change related to Yeongcheon Dam diversion tunnel, Proceedings of The Korean Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, 27-29.
- Jang, E. K., Ji, U., 2014, Numerical analysis of flow and bed change for selecting optimized section of buried water pipeline crossing the river, Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(3), 1756-1763. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1756
- Jeong, J. W., Kim, Y. O., 2014, Operation rule for Andong-Dam and Imha-Dam with connecting tunnel, Proceedings of the Korea Water Resources Association (KWRA), 558-558.
- Jeong, S. M., Park, C. S., Lee, J. H., Shin, K. S., 2009, Flood water level changes analyses for the construction of a small dam -Focused on the Geum river reach in Sejong city-, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 9(2), 59-68.
- Kim, H. Y., Park, J. H., Park, W. C., Hong, I. P., Jeong, S. M., 2015, Application of numerical modelling for the prediction of sediment deposits after Sejong weir installation, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 15(4), 243-249.
- Ko, I. H., Kim, J. K., Park, S. Y., 2009, Evaluation of eco-hydrological changes in the Geum river considering dam operations: I. Flow regime change analysis, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association (KWRA), 42(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.1.1
- Korea Hydrographic and Ocenographic Agency (KHOA), 2016, http://www.khoa.go.kr
- K-water, 2016, http://www.kwater.or.kr
- Lee, S. C., 2016, Overcome drought in western Chungcheongnam-do region through construction of Boryong dam diversion tunnel, Journal of Korean Society Hazard Mitigation, 16(2), 33-37.
- Lee, S. D., Lee, G. Y., Park, J. K., 2005, A Study on the characteristics of hydraulic and water quality in the estuary of Geumgang (River), Jounal of Korea Society of Environmental Administration, 11(3), 199-208.
- Minister of Land, Infrasturucture and Transport (MOLIT), 2009, River master plan report of Geum river basin.
- Minister of Land, Infrasturucture and Transport (MOLIT), 2011, Long-term water resources plan (2011-2020).
- Minister of Land, Infrasturucture and Transport (MOLIT), 2016, http://www.wamis.go.kr/
- Morias, D. N., Arnold, J. G., Van Liew, M. W., Bingner, R. L., Harmel, R. D., Veith, T. L., 2007, Model evaluation guidelines for systematic quantification of accuracy in watershed simulations, Transactions of the ASABE, 50(3), 885-900. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.23153
- Park, H. S., 2012, Numerical simulations of hydraulics and turbidity flow in the Andong-Imha linked reservoir system, M. S. Dissertation, Chungbuk University, Korea.
- Park, H. S., Chung, S. W., 2014, Water transportation and stratification modification in the Andong-Imha linked reservoirs system, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(1), 31-43. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.1.031
- Park, S. K., Kim, T. C., 1999, Change of hydraulic characteristics in the downstream Keum river after the construction of estuary dam, Magazine of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers, 41(5), 68-76.
- Suh, S. W., 1998, Hydrodynamic changes in the Keum river estuary (2) - By numerical model tests -, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, 10(1), 18-26.
- US Army Corps of Engineers, 2010, HEC-RAS river analysis system user's manual.