- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Case Study of Exposure to Elemental Carbon (EC) in an Underground Copper Ore Mine
구리원석광산에서의 Elemental Carbon (EC) 노출에 관한 사례연구
- Lee, Su-Gil (Work Health and Environment Pty Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Jung-Hee (Department of Chemical Engineering, Hanseo University) ;
- Kim, Seong-Soo (Department of Environmental Administration, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2017.05.23
- Accepted : 2017.08.29
- Published : 2017.09.30
Exposure to Diesel Particulate Matter (DPM) potentially causes adverse health effects (e.g. respiratory symptoms, lung cancer). Due to a lack of data on Elemental Carbon (EC) exposure levels in underground copper ore mining (unlike other underground mining industries such as non-metallic and coal mining), this case study aims to provide individual miners' EC exposure levels, and information on their work practices including use of personal protective equipment. EC measurement was carried out during different work activities (i.e. drilling, driving a loader, plant fitting, plant operation, driving a Specialized Mining Vehicle (SMV)) as per NIOSH Method 5040. The copper miners were working 10 h/day and 5 days/week. This study found that the most significant exposures to EC were reported from driving a loader (range
Elemental carbon;Copper ore mine;Diesel-powered equipment;Particulate matter
- Ambs, J., Hillman, T., 1992, Disposable and re-usable diesel exhaust filters, US Bureau of Mines Information Circular No. IC9324, U.S.
- Bae, H., Parl, J., 2012, A Review on diesel engine exhaust and lung cancer risks, J. Environ. Health. Sci., 38, 277-290.
- Birch, M., Cary, R., 1996, Elemental carbon-based method for occupational monitoring of particulate diesel exhaust: Methodology and exposure issues, Analyst, 121, 1183-1190. https://doi.org/10.1039/an9962101183
- Brown, A., Christie, D., Taylor, R., Seccomble, M., Coates, M., 1997, The occurrence of cancer in a cohort study of New South Wales coal miners, Aust. NZ. J. Public Health, 21, 29-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-842X.1997.tb01649.x
- Cantrell, B., Rubow, K., Pittsburgh, P., 1990, Mineral dust and diesel aerosol measurements in underground metal and nonmetal mines, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Publication No 90-108, U.S.
- Coble, J., Stewart, P., Vermeulen, R., Yereb, D., Stanevich, R., Blair, A., Silverman, D., Attfield, M., 2010, The diesel exhaust in miners study: II. Exposure monitoring surveys and development of exposure groups, Ann. Occup. Hyg., 54, 747-761.
- Cohen, H., Borak, J., Hall, T., Sirianni, G., Chemerynski, S., 2002, Exposure of miners to diesel exhaust particulates in underground nonmetal mines, Am. Indust. Hygiene. Assoc. J., 63, 651-658. https://doi.org/10.1080/15428110208984753
- Davies, B., 2002, The efficiency of diesel exhaust filters used in underground coal mines, The AIOH 20th Annual Conference, Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH).
- DPI, 2008, Guideline for the management of diesel engine pollutants in underground environments MDG 29, NSW Department of Primary Industries, URL: www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/minerals/safety
- Hart, J., Laden, F., Eisen, E., Smith, T., Garshick, E., 2009, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease mortality in railroad workers, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 66, 221-226.
- HSL, 2005, Controlling and monitoring exposure to diesel engine exhaust emissions in coal mines, HSL/2005/55, Health and Safety Laboratory, U.K.
- IARC, 2012, IARC: Diesel engine exhaust carcinogenic, press release No 213, International Agency for Research on Cancer, URL: http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2012/pdfs/pr213_E.pdf
- Joint Coal Board, 1999, Diesel particulate in coal mines Questions and answers, question #7, 1st ed., The Joint Coal Board 1999, NSW, Australia.
- Morawska, L., Hofman, W., Hitchins-Loveday, J., Swanson, C., Mengersten, K., 2005, Experimental study of the deposition of combustion aerosol in the human respiratory tract, J. Aerosol. Sci., 36, 939-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2005.03.015
- MSHA, 2001, Diesel particulate matter exposure of underground metal and nonmetal miners; Final rule, Mine Safety and Health Administration, 30 CFR Part 57, U.S. Federal Bulletin 50.
- MSHA, 2008, Diesel particulate matter exposure of underground metal and nonmetal miners, Mine Safety and Health Administration, 30 CFR Part 57, U.S. Federal Register, 73(98).
- MSHA, 2016, Exposure of underground miners to diesel exhaust, Mine Safety and Health Administration, 30 CFR Part 57, 70, 72 and 75, U.S. Federal Register, 81(110).
- NIOSH, 2003, Diesel particulate matter (as elemental carbon), NIOSH manual of analytical methods 5040, fourth edition, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, NIOSH Publication 2003-154.
- NIOSH, 2011, Diesel aerosols and gases in underground mines: Guide to exposure assessment and control, RI 9687 Report of Investigations/2011, Dept. of Health and Human Services, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication 2012-101.
- Noll, J., Birch, M., 2004, Evaluation of SKC DPM cassettes for monitoring diesel particulate matter in coal mines, J. Environ. Monit., 6, 973-978. https://doi.org/10.1039/B410057C
- Noll, J., Bugarski, A., Patts, L., Mischler, S., Mc Williams, L., 2007, Relationship between elemental carbon, total carbon, and diesel particulate matter in several underground metal/nonmetal mines, Env. Sci. Tech., 41, 710-716. https://doi.org/10.1021/es061556a
- Noll, J., Mischler, S., Schnakenberg, G., Bugarski, A., 2006, Measuring diesel particulate matter in underground mines using sub microne elemental carbon as a surrogate, Proceedings of the 11th U.S./north American Mine Ventilation Symposium, Taylor and Francis Group, London, 105-110.
- Pratt, S., Grainger, A., Todd, J., Meena, G., Rogers, A., Davis, B., 1997, Evaluation and control of employee exposure to diesel particulate at several Australian coal mines, Appl. Occup. Environ. Hygiene, 12, 1032-1040. https://doi.org/10.1080/1047322X.1997.10390645
- Rissler, J., Swietlicki, E., Bengtsson, A., Boman, C., Pagels, J., Sandstrom, T., Blomberg, A., Londahl, J., 2012, Experimental determination of deposition of diesel exhaust particles in the human respiratory tract, J. of Aerosol. Sci., 48, 18-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2012.01.005
- Rogers, A., Davies, B., 2001, Diesel particulate (Soot) exposures and methods of control in some Australian underground metalliferous mines, Short Course Notes Presented at the AIOH 19th Annual Conference, Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH).
- Stewart, P., Coble, J., Vermeulen, R., Schleiff, P., Blair, A., Lubin, J., Attfield, M., Silverman, D., 2010, The diesel exhaust in miners study: I. Overview of the exposure assessment process, Ann. Occup. Hyg., 54, 728-746.
- Sydbom, A., Blomberg, A., Parnia, S., Stenfors, N., Sandstrom, T., Dahlen, S., 2001, Health effects of diesel exhaust emissions, European Respiratory Journal, 17, 733-746. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.01.17407330
- Van Niekerk, W., Simpson, D., Fourie, M., Mouton, G., 2002, Diesel particulate emissions in the South African mining industry, Safety in Mines Research Advisory Committee, SIM 020602.
- Verma, D., Shaw, L., Julian, J., Smolynec, K., Wood, C., Shaw, D., 1999, A Comparison of sampling and analytical methods for assessing occupational exposure to diesel exhaust in railroad work environment, Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg., 14, 701-714. https://doi.org/10.1080/104732299302332
- Vermeulen, R., Silverman, D., Garshick, E., Vlaanderen, J., Portengen, L., Steenland, K., 2013, Exposure response estimates for diesel engine exhaust and lung cancer mortality based on data from three occupational cohorts, Environmental Health Perspectives, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.