- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Recreation Therapy in Physical and Mental Health for Korean American Senior
레크리에이션 치료가 재미 한인노인의 신체적, 정신적 건강에 미치는 영향
- Park, Eunsik (Dept. of Day Helath Center, CenterLight Healthcare)
- 박은식 (센터라이트 헬스케어 데이헬스센터)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of recreational therapy as part of Social Adult Day Care Program administered in the state of New York for the Korean American elderly living in the United States. The study was conducted in a nonequivalent control group posttest-only design from February to April, 2017. The participants included 35 subjects in the experimental group and 35 subjects in the control group; among the sample, 66 participants' data were analyzed. The average age of subjects who participated in this study was 79.4 years, and the average duration of residence in the United States was 24.6 years. Based on the study results, the recreational therapy program provided by the day care center was found to have a positive effect on the participant's daily life performances, depression and loneliness. Therefore, a variety of cultural sensitive recreational therapy program for the elderly population should be developed and operated in the future; furthermore, evidence-based research should be conducted to evaluate the effects of these programs.
Aged;Therapeutic recreation;Day Care Center;Activities of daily living;Depression;Loneliness
- Kostat, "Population and Prospects in theWorld and Korea" https://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor.../2/.../index.board?. (May 21, 2017)
- Gisoo Shin, Ogcheol Lee, Mi-Kyoung Cho, "Comparison of health Status Between Korean Seniors and Overseas Korean Seniors in China and Japan", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 2079-2088, 2015. http:dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2079 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2079
- New York State. "Social Adult Day Services Program", https://aging.ny.gov/NYSOFA/Programs/CaregiverSvcs/SADS.cfm (May 21, 2017)
- S.O. Kim, Y.J. Kim. "Effect of Indivisual Silverrobic Exercice on activities of daily living Powerlessness, and Self-Esteem of Older Residents in Nursing Homes". Journal of Korean Gerontol Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 50-57. 2012.
- J.H. Kim, H.J. Chun,K.S. Kim. " A Study on the Effect of Therapeutic Reaction program on Psychological Emotion of Old Women people". Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women. Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 101-110, 2001
- W.D. Taylor. " Depression in the Elderly". The new England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 1228-1236.(Setember 25, 2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1402180. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1402180
- Sunday Journal. "Status of Overseas koreans" http://sundayjournalusa.com/2015/10/18/%EC%A0%84%EC%84%B8%EA%B3%84-%EC%9E%AC%EC%(99%B8%EB%8F%99%ED%8F%AC-718%EB%A7%8C%EB%AA%85%EC%9C%BC%EB%A1%9C-%EC%A7%91%EA%B3%84/(May 21, 2017)
- Hae-Kyung Choi, "Factors Affecting Successful Aging and Subjective Well-being for Elderly Korean-Americans in Honolulu, HI". Korean journal of Family welfare, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 245-267, (September, 2013) http://dx.doi.org/10.13049/jofw.2013.18.3.245 https://doi.org/10.13049/jofw.2013.18.3.245
- L.A. Bond, S.J. Cutler, A. Grams(Eds.), "Promoting Sucessful and Productive Aging". Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. pp. 279-288. 1995.
- B. Cho et al., "Development and validity and Reliability of Korean Comprehensive Assessment Tools for Geriatric Ambulatory Care". Journal of Korean Geriatric Society, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 18-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.(March 29, 2013) https://doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2013.17.1.18
- B.S. Kee. "A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form Korean version". Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 298-307, 1996.
- K.H. Kim, J.H. Kim. "Korea UCLA loneliness Scale". Journal of Student Guidance. Chung Nam University, Vol. 16, pp. 13-30, 1989.
- Y. Lee, M.J. Lee. "A Study on the Causes for Severe Poverty among Korean Elderly through Cross-national Analysis". Journal of Community Welfare, Vol. 48, pp. 291-318, 2014.
- M.Y. Kim, C.H. Kim, B.O Lim. "The Effect of 12-Week Exercise Program on Freezing of Gait in Patients with Parkinson's Disease", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol, 53, No. 3, pp. 739-747, 2014.
- C.H. Kim, M.Y. Kim, B.O. Lim. "A Literature Review of parkinson's Disease Rating, Balance, Fall and Gait Scales", Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, Vol 25, No. 4, pp. 441-451, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.4.441
- A. Morrison, T. Fan, S.S. Sen, L. Weisenfluh. "Epidemiology of falls and osteoporotic fractures: a systematic review", Clinico Economics and Outcomes Research, Vo., 5, pp. 9-18, 2013.
- J. Chel, E.Y. Ahn, D.H. Lee, G. G. Lee, C.H. Kim. "A Study of Therapeutic Recreation". Journal of Korean Society of Health Science. Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 139-151, 2007.
- H.H. Kim, D.Y. Lee, S.J. Lee, B.Y. Kim, N.C. Kim. "Predictive Relationships between BPSD, ADLs and IADLS of the Elders with Dementia in Seoul, Korea". Jor\urnal of Gerontology Nursing. Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.1.1 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.1.1
- H. Kim. "Influences of Therapeutic Recreation on Changing Depression in the Elderly", Journal of Leisure, Park & Recreation Stuides, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 112-124, 2015.
- H. Shin, Y. Baek. "The Effects of the Cognitive Enhancement program on memory, Depression and Quality of Life in Elderly", Journal of Rehabitation psychology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 263-278, 2015.