- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Perceived Enjoyment and User Characteristics on Intention of Continuous Use of Mobile Social Network Games: Focusing on Mediating Effect of Flow Experience
모바일 소셜 네트워크 게임에 대한 지각된 즐거움과 이용자 특성이 지속적 이용의도에 미치는 영향: 플로우 경험의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Youm, Dongsup (Dept. of Advertising & Public Relations & Communication, The Mokwon University)
- 염동섭 (목원대학교 광고홍보언론학과)
- Received : 2017.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of perceived enjoyment and user's characteristics on the intention of continuous use when users play social network games on a mobile device. In addition, the study empirically investigated the mediating effect of flow experience in this process. To fulfill the purpose, this study conducted a survey on 244 college students and collected data. When the collected data was analyzed, the followings were known. First, perceived enjoyment, and both self-efficacy and innovation propensity of user's characteristics turned out to have a positive (+) effect on the intention of continuous use in mobile social network game. Second, in the process, it was known that flow experience played a mediating role. These findings are expected to be useful data in developing game contents of high quality or making a marketing strategy for continuous improvement of online social network game industry. In addition, future studies are expected to generalize the research to various age groups.
Social Network Game;Perceived Enjoyment;User Characteristics;Flow Experience;Continuous Use Intention
- Korea Creative Content Agency. "Content Industry Statistics 2016", 2016.
- Youm, Dongsup., & Kim, Hwa-Dong. "A Study on the Usage Behavior of Mobile Social Network Game Users: Focused on Use Motives, Benefits and Cost Factors", Journal of Practical Research in Advertising and Public Relations, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 121-140, 2016.
- Bae, J. K., & Kwon, D. S. "The Structural Relationships among Self-Determination Factors, PAD Factors, and User Satisfaction of Social Game Users", Logos Management Review, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 55-80, 2013.
- Youm, Dongsup. "The Effect of Motivation for Using Mobile Social Network Games on the Game Attitude, Continuous Use Intention and Intention to Recommend the Game", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 453-459, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.453
- Kim, H. C., Huh, S., & Choi, J. H. "Factors affecting the continuous use intention of smartphone Social Network Games: With a focus on the value model", Journal of Korea Game Society, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 11-24, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2012.12.3.11
- Kim, J. W., & Jang, C. H. "A Study of Factors Affecting Continuous Intention of Social Network Games: Focusing on Smart Device Users", Journal of Information Technology Services, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 235-255, 2014.
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P., & Warshaw, P. R. "Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation to use computers in the workplace", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 14, pp. 1111-1132, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb00945.x
- Bhattacherjee, A. "Understanding Information Systems Continuance: An Expectation- Confirmation Model", MIS quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 351-370, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250921
- Chang, J. H., & Zhang, H. "Analyzing Online Game Players: From Materialism and Motivation to Attitude", CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 711-714, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0147
- Chen, L. S. L. "Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from the Different Personality Traits of Online Game Teenager Players", CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 579-581, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0192
- Shin, D. H., & Shin, Y. J. "Why do People Play Social Network Games?", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 852-861, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.11.010
- Lee, J. H., & Park, C. "Antecetents and Consequences of Satisfaction of Social Game", Journal of Korean Marketing Association, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 135-153, 2013.
- Bandura, A. "Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change", Psychological review, Vol. 84, No. 2, pp. 191-215, 1997.
- Bandura, A. "Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive perspective", Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Princeton-Hall, 1986.
- Marakas, G. M., Yi, M. Y., & Johnson, R. D. "The multilevel and multifaceted character of computer self-efficacy: Toward clarification of the construct and an integrative framework for research", Information systems research, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 126-163, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.9.2.126
- Hsu, M. H., & Chiu, C. M. "Internet self-efficacy and electronic service acceptance", Decision support systems, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 369-381, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2003.08.001
- Keith, M. J., Babb Jr, J. S., Furner, C. P., & Abdullat, A. "The role of mobile self-efficacy in the adoption of location-based applications: An iPhone experiment", In System Sciences (HICSS), 2011 44th Hawaii International Conference on (pp. 1-10), IEEE, 2011, January.
- Compeau, D. R., & Higgins, C. A. "Computer self-efficacy: Development of a measure and initial test", MIS Quarterly, pp. 189-211, 1995.
- Hong, B. S., Kim, C. H., & Lee, E. J. "The Effect of Self-efficacy and Commitment on Functional Satisfaction and Repurchase Intention of Mountaineering Apparels", Fashion & Textile Research Journal, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 599-607, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.5.599
- Lim, G. H., Choi, Y. S., Lee, H. Y., & Han, J. H. "The Effects of Self-efficacy on Online Game Flow: Focus on Moderating Influence of Self-Control", Korean Society for Computer Game, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 131-141, 2010.
- Midgley, D. F., & Dowling, G. R. "Innovativeness: The concept and its measurement", Journal of consumer research, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 229-242, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1086/208701
- Goldsmith, R., & Reinecke Flynn, L. "Identifying innovators in consumer product markets", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 42-55, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569210022498
- Kim, S. H., & Kang, J. Y. "Effects of Consumer Characteristics on Benefits Sought and Importance in Attributes of Durable Goods: Emphasis on Consumer Innovativeness, Social Sensitivity, and Consumer Knowledge", Korean Marketing Review, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 209-230, 2005.
- An, D. C. "Exploratory Investigation into the Drivers of Intentions to Adopt IPTV Advertising Based on a Modified Technology Acceptance Model", Consumer Policy and Education Review, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 27-52, 2011.
- Youm, Dongsup. "User Satisfaction Factors Influencing Uses the Reward Application of Smart phone : Focus on Motives, Perceived Attributes, Audience Innovation", Journal of Korea Design Forum, No. 43, pp. 131-140, 2014.
- Youm, Dongsup., & Kim, Hwa-Dong. "Effects of Use Motivation, Perceived Attributes and Audience Innovation for Mobile LBA on Intentions for Continuous Use", Journal of Korea Design Forum, No. 47, pp. 53-63, 2015.
- Park, Guiree., & Park, Jaejin. "The Influence of Flow on the Consumers" Mobile Shopping Behaviors Expansion of Technology Acceptance Model", Korean Association for Advertising and Public Relations, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 87-113, 2014.
- Yeu, Minsun., & Bae, S. Y. "A Study on the Influence of Flow on Online Community Satisfaction : Focusing on the Mediating Role of Social Capital", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 171-179, 2016.
- Jo, Hyeon., Roh, Junhyeon., Hong, B. S., & Lee, J. K. "Influence of Characteristics on Continuance Intention in the Context of Mobile Social Network Game", The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 159-178, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-015-9178-3
- Kim, Tae-Gyu., Ryu, Seuc-Ho., Kyung, Byung-Pyo., & Lee, Wan-Bok. "Social Network Games (SNG) to concentrate on the analysis of causes", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 445-453, 2012.
- Lee, S. K., & Kang, M. S. "Factors Affecting Word-of-Mouth Intention of O2O: Focusing on the Mediating Effect on the User Satisfaction and Continued Use Intention and the Moderating Effects by Gender", Korean Corporation Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 155-190, 2016.
- Shin, M. S., & Lee, Y. J. "A Study on the Influential Factors of Purchase Intention of Wrist Wearable Device", Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 498-506, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.05.498
- Choi, M. W. "A Study on the Determinants of Perception and Click Experience of Personal Media Advertising", The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 263-287, 2009.
- Bae, J. K., & Kwon, D. S. "An Empirical Study Applying the Self-Determination Factors to Acceptance of Microblogging Service", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 2745-2774, 2011.
- Ryu, J. Y., & Yoon, K. "A Study on Mobile Advertising Acceptance and Word of Mouth Intention of Smartphone Users", The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 297-318, 2013.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. "The moderatormediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Youm, Dongsup., & Park, K. H. "Factors Affecting User Satisfaction of Mobile Social Network Games: Focusing on the Quality and Self-determination", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 459-467, 2016.
- Korea Creative Content Agency. "Game Users Survey Report 2017", 2017.