- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Moderating Effects of Interpersonal Relation and Social Network on the Relationship between Depression and Health Behavior in Elderly
노인의 우울과 건강증진행위와의 관계에서 대인관계와 사회적 지지의 조절효과
- Lee, Song-Heun (Dept. of Nursing, Chodang University)
- 이송흔 (초당대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study was conducted to identify moderating effects of interpersonal relation and social support on the relationship between depression and health promoting behaviors in the elderly. The participants were 286 elderly using two elderly welfare centers and one cultural center in D city. Data were collected from October 12th to 20th December, 2016, and were analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, multiple regression using SPSS 20.0. The result were as follows; The result were as follows; 1) Mean score of variables was Depression: 20.47, interpersonal relationship: 21.27 points, social support: 20.92 points, and health promotion behaviors: 111.69. 2) Depression had negative relationship with interpersonal relationship(r=-.283, p<.000), social network (r=-.391, p<.000), health promotion behaviors(r=-.611, p<.000), and interpersonal relationship had positive relationship with social support(r=.353, p<.000) and health promotion behaviors(r=.372, p<.000) significantly. 3) Social support had a moderating effect in the relationship between depression and health promoting behaviors(
Depression;Elderly;Health promotion;Interpersonal relation;Social support
- Statistics Korea, "Population census 2016", Web site:http://kostat.go.kr/portal/koreal/krmnw/2/1/indes.bo.
- National Health Insurance Service, " Long-tern Care insurance for the Elderly." http://www.nhis.or.kr/bbs7/boards/B0069/23576 (August, 10, 2017)
- Mistry health and Welfare, " Announcement of results of 2014 elderly situation survey." http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/sch/index.jsp(August, 10, 2017)
- T. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, "A study on the solidarity between the elderly and their three generations, and depression of the elderly." Journal of Korean Gerontological Soietyc, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 110-129. 1996.
- S. P. Roos, A. H. Glassman, "Depression co-morbid with ischemic heart disease. In SP. Roose, HA Sackeim(Ed), Late-life depression(pp 311-320). Oxford; Oxford University Press", 2004.
- APA(Americn Psychiatric Association), "Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders" Washington D. C.: APA, 2000.
- A. T. Beekman, B. W. Penninx, D. J. Deeg, J. Ormel, A. W. Braam, W. van Tilburg, "Depression and physical health in later life, Journal of Affective Disorders." Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 219-231, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(97)00145-6
- Office of the Deputy Prime Minister(ODPM). "Social exclusion of older people", London: The Stationery Office. 2006.
- P. J. Lustman, S. M. Penckofer, R. E. Clouse, "Recent advances in understanding depression in adults with diabetes." Current diabetes reports. Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 114-122, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-007-0020-8
- M. S. Ko, I. K. Seo, "Influences of the elderly's health status upon their stress and depression and moderating effects of social supports." Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 1-14, 2011.
- S. Cohen, S, T. Willis, "Stress and Social Support and the Buffering Hypothesis." Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 98, pp. 310-357. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- E. Cummings, W. E. Henry, "Growing old. New York, NY: Basic", 1961.
- B. M. Newman, P. R. Newman, "Development through life: A Psychosocial approach(5th Ed). Chicago: The Dorsey Press", 1991.
- M. H. Kim, G. Y. Lee, S. D. Jeong, "A path analysis on depression among the elderly." Journal of Korean Gerontol Society, Vol. 20, No 3, pp. 211-226, 2000.
- P. S. Lee, Y. M. Lee, J. K. Lim, R. I. Hwang, E. Y. Park, "The relationship of stress, social support and depression in the elderly." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 477-484, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.3.477
- Y. S. Park, J. Y. Song, "The moderating effect of social supports on the relationship between depression and satisfaction of life of the old man with a chronic disease." Korean Journal of Social Welfare Education, Vol. 17, pp. 79-96. 2012.
- E. J. Kim, "The Moderating Effect of Social Networks on Depression and Satisfaction with Life of the Elderly." Mater's thesis, Pusan University. 2013.
- S. O. Park, H. J. Paik, C. M. Kim, J. H. Moon, S. Y. Choi, J. S. Kim, A. J. Kim, "A study on self-esteem and social support, health-promoting lifestyle of the elderly." Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 144-156. 2003.
- L. F. Berkman, T. Glass, I. Brissette, T. E. Seeman, "From social integration to health: Durkheim in the new millennium." Social science & medicine, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 843-857, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00065-4
- J. A. Yesavage, T. L. Brink, T. L. Rose, O. Lum, V. Huang, M. Avey, V. O. Leire, "Development and validation Geriatric Depression Screening Scale. A Preliminary Report." Journal of Psychiatic Res.earch. Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 37-49, 1983.
- J. L. Sheikh, L. A. Yesavage, "Geriatric depression scale(GDS) recent evidence and development of a shorter violence." Clinical Gerontologist, Vol. 5, No. 16, pp. 5-172, 1986.
- H. S. Pyun, K. S. Kim, K. S. "The HLM analysis of depression and self-esteem of the elderly living in the unreported residential facility." Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 25, No. 25, pp. 147-165, 2005.
- J. E. Lubben, "Assessing social networks among elderly populations." Family & Community Health, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 42-52, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003727-198811000-00008
- K. W. Lee, S. Y. Kim, W. Chung, G. S. Hwang, Y. W. Hwang, J. H. Hwang, "The validity and reliability of Korean version of lubben social network scale." Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 352-358, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.5.352
- A. Schlein, B. Guerney, L. tover, "The interpersonal relationship scale." Unpublished PhD dissertation. Pennsylvania State University. 1971.
- Mun, S. M. "A Study on the Effects of Group Counseling for Personnel Relationship Training." Master's thesis, Gyeongsang Nationa University. 1980.
- H. S. Park, "The developmental mechanism of school resilience of Korean adolescents in poverty." Korean journal of youth studies, Vol. 5, pp. 147-165, 1998.
- Y. H. Choi, S. Y. Kim, S. Y. "Development of health behavior assessment tool of the Korean elders." The Journal of Nurses Academic Society, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 601-613. 1997. https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19126.96.36.1991
- H. S. Yoon, B. M. Koo, "The Mediating Effects of Social Support on Health Status and Depression of the Elderly." Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 61, No. 5. pp. 303-324, 2009. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2009.61.2.012
- Y. J. Lee, "Determinants of the elderly depression." Unpublished master's thesis. Catholic University. 2013.
- H. J. Oh, D. H. Kim, "Research on The Influential Factors in Senior Citizens' Health Promotion Behaviors." Health and Social Science, Vol. 32, pp. 173-197. 2012.
- S. K. Kahng, T. Y. Kwon, "An Exploratory Study on the Effects of Socioeconomic Status on Depression Symptoms Across Lifespan." Mental and Social Work. Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 332-335. 2008.
- M. S. Kim, J. W. Ko, J. W. "The effect of the elderlys leasure activity on their health and the mediating role of family support." Journal of Welfare Aged, Vol. 60, pp. 35-54, 2013.
- J. G. Kim, "The impact of family type on health behavior of elderly people." Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 51, No. 51, pp. 35-56, 2011.
- S. O. Eum, I. S. Lee, "The health care status and healthy life practices of hypertensive patients." Perspectives in Nursing Science, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 32-40, 2013.
- E. M. No, Y. H. Park, "Subjective oral health status of the elderly effects of interpersonal relations." Journal of the Korean Academy of Health and Welfare for Elderly, Vol. 3. No. 1, pp. 53-63, 2011.
- S. J. Yu, K. C. Lim, H. M. Seo, E. H. Kong, J. H. Kim, "Powerlessness in Community-dwelling Older Korean Adults: Association of Depression, Stress, Social Support, Health Promotion Behavior & Activities of Daily Living." Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 103-111, 2013.
- K. K. Kim, "Study on Depression of the Female Elderly." Master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2009.
- Y. Kim, "Analysis on factors affecting elderly care work hours and stresses in care work among family caregivers." The Women's Studies, Vol. 72, pp. 31-72. 2007.
- Y. J. Kim, "The effect of the health status and the economic status on the mental health of the urban elderly and the rural elderly-With the focus on the comparison of the mediation model between the family life and the social life." The Journal of the Korean Rural Sociological Society, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 265-308, 2010.
- W. McTeer, J. Curtis, "Physical activity and psychological well-being; Testing alterative sociological interpretations." Sociology of Sport Journal, Vol. 7, pp. 329-346, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1123/ssj.7.4.329
- B. H. Gottlieb, "Social support strategies: Guidelines for mental health practice (Vol. 7). Sage Publications, Inc", 1983.
- J. H. Seo "The Relationship among Health Promoting Behavior, Depression and Life Satisfaction of the Elderly People." Master's thesis, Seonam University. 2008.
- E. R. Kim, "Social capital as a moderator of the relationship between self-rated health and depression among elderly with chronic arthritis." Health Social Science, Vol. 3, pp. 59-83. 2013.